Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 August 2013
I've always thought that anybody who buys an expensive scent without sampling it first must either have too much money or too few brain cells, because what is a heavenly scent to one person is sometimes the stench of Hell to others.

But I kept reading so many reviews by people who said that this was just wonderful, that I crumbled. I certainly don't have too much money, so maybe I have too few brain cells... Anyway, I bought the stuff.

And now it's my new all-time favourite.

I know this is subjective, but here's my take on this fragrance. Unlike other reviewers, I can detect not even the slightest hint of fresh black ink, damp paper, or newsprint. It's definitely a vetiver-based fragrance, but, for me anyway, instead of the earthy, rooty, scent you expect from vetiver, it's more of an immediate mood-lifting blast of warm, smoky incense - and that's pretty much how it remains.

I have, however, had one or two strange experiences... One reviewer said that when he first put it on, it smelt like burning rubber. Yuck. I didn't really believe it. But then, one day I put it on, and... Uh-oh... There really WAS more than a hint of burning rubber. But thankfully this passed very quickly, and I was back with my pleasant incense smell. On one other occasion, the initial blast seemed to have a not-very-nice whiff of turpentine! But again, it passed in seconds. Odd.

In terms of sillage, unless you bathe in the stuff, I don't think anyone in the office is going to complain or be overpowered by the smell. On me, it seems to linger VERY close the the skin. Even in a car, family members claim they can't smell it, though I myself am still very aware of it. Maybe it's a good scent for close personal encounters?

In any case, this is my new favourite, even over my most-loved Trumpers scents which I didn't think could be beaten.

It's great stuff. If you DO want to try it first, eBay sellers are offering tiny samples at a fairly reasonable price. And if you go for the full 100ml, be careful to shop around. I've seen the exact same product priced everywhere between £30 and £80!
on 6 June 2013
i am reluctant to praise this too much, in case it becomes too popular. Encre Noire, "black ink" is superb, and has become a firm favourite of mine. Strong but not overpowering, with great legs, it has great sophistication, and is in a select handfull of fragracences that people have actuallyasked me "what is the fragrance that you are wearing?"
on 12 October 2013
So I knew Encre Noire before I bought it on Amazon. I smelled it and got a sample off a parfumeur, where the 100ml EdT retailed at ca. £70. I really liked it, loved its tamed vetyver blended with musk and that woody base note that is so evocative of ink on paper. And that sample had some staying power - a dab on the chest, and I felt inked for the day.

£30 odd off Amazon sounded like an amazing bargain, but this must be a different formulation, or perhaps a batch that suffered production quality issues. The blend of the fragrance is definitely right, exactly as it is compared to the sample I have - but a generous few sprays on the chest and neck and within 5 minutes of my getting dressed, there's barely anything left. After a few hours my wife couldn't smell anything. There is no sillage, and even though this is an almost completely new fragrance to my nose, I can't really smell it on myself during the day - so much for the pleasure of wearing fragrance.

Before you ask, that sample I refer back to was definitely Eau de Toilette, not Eau de Parfum, so in principle the same formulation (do they even do Eau de Parfum for men?)...

It goes to show. If you pay half the price, there's probably a reason...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2015
I've purchased Encre Noire once before and fell in love with really is a masterpiece. Just take a look at some of the YouTube videos, pretty much all rave about it...

Due to this I feel I have a decent base to right this review.

Sillage and projection are very, very poor. So much so, I've actually given up using it. Yes there's a strong scent of 'Encre Noire' when straight out of the bottle, but it doesn't last long on skin AT ALL.

I need to emphasis that this is not a reflection of the perfume Encre Noire, as with my previous bottle, I did not have this issue....

...but something just isn't quite right with this bottle/supplier. It just evaporates, pretty much immediately and as I mentioned earlier, it's got to the point I don't use it now (literally a week later).

So, here's my advice... You're looking to buy encre noire because you've heard great things about it, well that's correct. I personally think it's an amazing perfume, but I wouldn't get it from this supplier, otherwise your opinion of Encre Noire will be tainted. Buy cheap (est), buy twice.
on 29 January 2015
Quick delivery and good price,didn't know what to think of this at first because it's so different to anything I've used before.The packaging is smart with the wooden lid and dark glass design and the packaging says a lot about the fragrance in the fact that when you first put it on there's a strong smell of fresh wood,a hint of what I can only describe as a very subtle petrol smell and fresh grass,at first I thought oh no ,but after a short while the smell is actually very nice and I'd go as far as to say its one of my favourite fragances and under 40 pounds this is a bargain.The only reason I don't give this a five is because I would recommend trying this in the shops before buying it online because it has a unique smell in which your going to love or hate it
on 12 September 2015
If you're into vetiver you will be enticed by Lalique ' s powerfully enveloping Encre Noire. There is a hint of mystery about this fragrance that projects itself to others while also wrapping itself around the wearer. It is beautiful and also architecturally refined. Some might find this linear but give it time and it reveals a more subtle nature. For me, as with the very best fragrances, you don't wear this to make a statement that shouts at passers by, you adorn this for your own pleasure.
on 12 May 2015
Utterly stonking! Love it to bits. Wouldn't ever want to be without it. Guerlain Vetiver is equally solution is to get both.

Encre Noire is referred to as "dark" or "smoky" sometimes. That's all Greek to me - it just happens to smell amazing. Really pleased that someone introduce me to it. Buy it NOW!!!!
on 18 November 2013
I dont put 5 starts on this fragance because it's not a last longer (it last just aprox 3-4 hours)
Those 3 to 4 hours are pure class on a MACHO MEN
Wooohh !!! I have traveled with this to my most dark and chic experiences !!!
Really recommend this essence. :D
on 22 October 2015
In my opinion a scent for a mature man. I find it difficult to find scent that I like (for my husband) and we are fans of discontinued Gucci 1 and 2 and I read somewhere that if I liked those then I may like this. Has good staying power too
on 9 December 2013
A sophisticated smooth smoky woody fragrance. It's not a powerhouse but it lasts and smells great. A unique scent for men.