5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just... wow.
I've always thought that anybody who buys an expensive scent without sampling it first must either have too much money or too few brain cells, because what is a heavenly scent to one person is sometimes the stench of Hell to others.

Published 16 months ago by Steampunk

So I knew Encre Noire before I bought it on Amazon. I smelled it and got a sample off a parfumeur, where the 100ml EdT retailed at ca. £70. I really liked it, loved its tamed vetyver blended with musk and that woody base note that is so evocative of ink on paper. And that sample had some staying power - a dab on the chest, and I felt inked for the day.

£30 odd...
Published 14 months ago by Apples

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just... wow., 21 Aug 2013
Steampunk "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

But I kept reading so many reviews by people who said that this was just wonderful, that I crumbled. I certainly don't have too much money, so maybe I have too few brain cells... Anyway, I bought the stuff.

And now it's my new all-time favourite.

I know this is subjective, but here's my take on this fragrance. Unlike other reviewers, I can detect not even the slightest hint of fresh black ink, damp paper, or newsprint. It's definitely a vetiver-based fragrance, but, for me anyway, instead of the earthy, rooty, scent you expect from vetiver, it's more of an immediate mood-lifting blast of warm, smoky incense - and that's pretty much how it remains.

I have, however, had one or two strange experiences... One reviewer said that when he first put it on, it smelt like burning rubber. Yuck. I didn't really believe it. But then, one day I put it on, and... Uh-oh... There really WAS more than a hint of burning rubber. But thankfully this passed very quickly, and I was back with my pleasant incense smell. On one other occasion, the initial blast seemed to have a not-very-nice whiff of turpentine! But again, it passed in seconds. Odd.

In terms of sillage, unless you bathe in the stuff, I don't think anyone in the office is going to complain or be overpowered by the smell. On me, it seems to linger VERY close the the skin. Even in a car, family members claim they can't smell it, though I myself am still very aware of it. Maybe it's a good scent for close personal encounters?

In any case, this is my new favourite, even over my most-loved Trumpers scents which I didn't think could be beaten.

It's great stuff. If you DO want to try it first, eBay sellers are offering tiny samples at a fairly reasonable price. And if you go for the full 100ml, be careful to shop around. I've seen the exact same product priced everywhere between £30 and £80!

5.0 out of 5 stars An unknown star., 6 Jun 2013
i am reluctant to praise this too much, in case it becomes too popular. Encre Noire, "black ink" is superb, and has become a firm favourite of mine. Strong but not overpowering, with great legs, it has great sophistication, and is in a select handfull of fragracences that people have actuallyasked me "what is the fragrance that you are wearing?"

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 star for fragrance, 2 star for staying power, 0 star for sillage, 12 Oct 2013

£30 odd off Amazon sounded like an amazing bargain, but this must be a different formulation, or perhaps a batch that suffered production quality issues. The blend of the fragrance is definitely right, exactly as it is compared to the sample I have - but a generous few sprays on the chest and neck and within 5 minutes of my getting dressed, there's barely anything left. After a few hours my wife couldn't smell anything. There is no sillage, and even though this is an almost completely new fragrance to my nose, I can't really smell it on myself during the day - so much for the pleasure of wearing fragrance.

Before you ask, that sample I refer back to was definitely Eau de Toilette, not Eau de Parfum, so in principle the same formulation (do they even do Eau de Parfum for men?)...

It goes to show. If you pay half the price, there's probably a reason...

5.0 out of 5 stars It smells like what it's name says - like black ink in ..., 3 Aug 2014
M Oliver "wordspace" (Barcombe Mills, Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Just lovely. It smells like what it's name says - like black ink in a school inkwell. But not. It's going to be a classic vetiver. Forget about the flankers, this is the one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost certain it is a fake/faulty batch., 10 Dec 2013
As the title says I am almost sure the product i received is not authentic which seems worrying common on Amazon in regards to the fragrances they, or their sellers, sell.

The scent seems authentic, however last 2-4 hours at most - I have had others confirm that they cannot smell it anymore too.

The bottle seems strange in that every other image of Encre Noire has a slightly-transparent bottle - even the one advertised on here - but the bottle I received was completely opaque and the text doesn't quite match up.

I was left disappointed and will not be purchasing any fragrances from Amazon in the future - saving a tenner is not worth it when the product is below par.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality at an excellent price, 10 Dec 2014
S. K. Sangar (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Beautiful bottle, wonderful fragrance. The initial impression of a woody hit of cypress gives way in a few minutes to a smoky vetiver that makes you want to keep smelling it close up. This is likely to be due to only moderate sillage but the scent has good longevity. It'll take 4 sprays to get this to last a few hours but given the excellent price here, the quality of product makes this unbeatable value. It smells and is exclusive and nice...people will ask what it is you're wearing...in a good way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle but not weak, 9 Dec 2013
Mr. R. Cross - See all my reviews
A sophisticated smooth smoky woody fragrance. It's not a powerhouse but it lasts and smells great. A unique scent for men.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good scent, 19 Dec 2014
Zara (UK(north east)) - See all my reviews
although I have never personally used this Au de Toilette, My brother , who has used this for more than 10 years, recommended it strongly and often told me he'd never been able to find a justifiable replacement for this. And I bought it as a christmas present for my son, I was not disappointed and it also had very fast delivery times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore stuff, 18 Nov 2013
I dont put 5 starts on this fragance because it's not a last longer (it last just aprox 3-4 hours)
BUT
Those 3 to 4 hours are pure class on a MACHO MEN
Wooohh !!! I have traveled with this to my most dark and chic experiences !!!
Really recommend this essence. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars subtle, 28 Jun 2013
Scent develops quickly after spraying, and sticks around for a long time unlike many others. Subtle and fresh daytime fragrance

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›