5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised.
Published 9 months ago by Mrs. Julie Holt

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting look into a pop stars world
I like reading celebrity autobiographies and it was on offer, so I thought that I'd treat myself.

Not being a big Girls Aloud fan, I'm mainly familiar which Kimberly Walsh from Strictly Come Dancing, in which I thought she was great.

The book was pretty much as I expected, an easy to read insight.
Kimberly gives a fairly honest account of her...
Published 3 months ago by Felicity

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., 23 Nov 2013
Mrs. Julie Holt "Julie Haigh" (West Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I do like to read a variety of genres and do like the occasional showbiz biography to have a nosey into the lives of the rich and famous and see if they're so different to the average person. I read Cheryl Cole's autobiography a few months ago-this wasn't really a book I would have rushed out to buy but I saw her on the Allen Carr Chatty Man show and she came over really well and I downloaded a sample of her book and it was really so much better than I thought it would be. Kimberley Walsh's autobiography came up in my recommendations and was on offer for an amazing .49p! What a fantastic read. I didn't know much about this member of Girl's Aloud but, on reading this book, I have learned what an amazing personality she is and I do admire her. She didn't just decide to audition for a reality TV programme-her and her brother and sister have all paid their dues in the showbiz world. They all showed promise in acting and performing and, from an early age went to a local theatre school. They have all been in children's TV programmes from an early age and Kimberley's sister used to be in 'Emmerdale'. Kimberley's mum is a piano teacher and her mum's mum and dad 'were both quite musical too' and, in Kimberley's words they 'eventually turned into a sort of Yorkshire version of the Von Trapps'. Things haven't always been easy for the family, her mum and dad split when Kimberley was just six, their house was nearly repossessed and her mum would always be thinking of ways to earn extra cash. One thing that comes across throughout the book is how grateful Kimberley is for her success, she is always marvelling at how far she has come, always thanking so much for how things have turned out, never taking it for granted, always keeping momentoes of her performances in scrapbooks. Many performers, after a few years would just take each new gig as 'just another one' but Kimberley puts so much importance on everything she does. A nice touch is that whenever she writes any swear words she writes the initial letter of a word but then puts asterisks for the remaining letters. Ok, most books these days have swearing in as a matter of course, realism etc but this just seems more ladylike and I'm glad she did it this way. Kimberley has kept loyal to her friends she made in childhood, never forgetting her roots. The book is well organised into chapters, it never rambles. What a great chapter about Kimberley, Cheryl, Gary Barlow and others climbing Kilimanjaro for comic relief. I never realised what was involved, it's not just 'climbing'. Many of them went through altitude sickness etc. and I had never thought about how they would go to the loo on an expedition such as this but this is all detailed extensively by Kimberley. It is a very honest book and she doesn't dish any dirt, she just mentions that Louis Walsh didn't really do much for Girl's Aloud as a manager and these chapters explain why, sometimes Girls Aloud live performances didn't always go according to plan. Not surprising with what they had to put up with trying to do things themselves and people putting the wrong backing track on! It really comes across that Kimberley is something of a perfectionist in her craft. There's just so much packaged into this book, it's a great read. It's a real credit to Kimberley, really well done, accurate. The only slight niggle is perhaps overuse of the phrase 'at the end of the day' but I really like her writing style-it feels like Kimberley is there with you, having a cosy chat over a cup of coffee. Very easy reading yet so much content. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars fozzie_bear36, 21 Feb 2014
Brilliant book, couldn't but it down, a good read from start to finish, for any Girls Aloud fan, or anyone who likes auto biographies, buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! A real eye opener!, 16 Feb 2014
I always thought of Kimberley as the quiet one of the band but when you read this book you really see how much influence she had had in the band over the years. Without her I don't think girls aloud would even have carried on! It shows that she is a fantastic type model to young girls out there during them how to follow their dreams and never give up no matter what! A fabulous read I couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable easy read, 9 Jan 2014
Tina (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Whole Lot of History (Hardcover)
I had previously read the Cheryl Cole autobiography and loved it, so was interesting in reading Kimberley's also.

It is a nice, easy read and very well written.

I liked Kimberley on both Popstars the rivals and Strictly come dancing, however I found the entire book very interesting, not just the chapters relating to these areas of her life.

She comes across as a warm, lovely person and I enjoyed reading about her life so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just recommend to read.. its a must, 2 July 2014
This review is from: A Whole Lot of History (Hardcover)
An amazing book i laughed and cried at the same time really interesting funny there are things that i didn't knew as a fan and now more than ever im more than respect kimberley Walsh i really admire her and understand her and got to feel like Im there .. really love the book

4.0 out of 5 stars You never know, 1 July 2014
Enjoyed this, Kimberley is very honest about herself and all around her,particularly those in the music business. Would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole lot of history, 8 Jun 2014
I have to say I could not put this book down . I watched pop stars th rivals and loved girls aloud from then on and to read such an informative and honest book as this about Kimberly s life and the ten years of girls aloud has been s brilliant read

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting look into a pop stars world, 13 May 2014

The book was pretty much as I expected, an easy to read insight.
Kimberly gives a fairly honest account of her time in Girls Aloud and what she got up to, plus her relationship with the rest of the band and manager Louis Walsh. It was like reading a very long issue of heat magazine!

She also talks about her history as a child actress / performer and background on the stage, which I didn't know anything about.

It's a fun read, especially if your a fan. Not the most in depth book, but then it was hardly ever likely to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!!, 9 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Gave a different insight into girls aloud, I thought it was very honest and a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost Interest!, 14 April 2014
I have always liked girls aloud cheryl and kimberley being my favourite. Cheryls life is well documented so decided to read Kimberleys book instead. When she talks about her early years she writes how the family struggled for money which I found hard to believe considering her Mam was a school teacher and a piano teacher they lived in a lovely village and by all accounts a nice house and was able to go to drama school along with her siblings which doesnt come cheap. I felt like I was reading a book about the girl next door all very nice but very DULL! I Kimberley seems like a lovely person but her book couldnt hold my attention and I found myself flicking through.