5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Kings' Are Back!
The Flower Kings are back with their follow up to 'Banks Of Eden' with a much heavier, proggier and extremely catchy bunch of songs on the album "Desolation Rose". Back at the start of 2013, Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold, Tomas Bodin, Hasse Froberg and Felix Lehrmann went to the studio with a lot of semi-finished material and decided to jam & record what they had and pretty...
Published 8 months ago by Lawrence Haynes

3.0 out of 5 stars Some very good moments, but....
For me this is a very good album, with some very good moments and nice themes and motifs. The lyrics are awful, but this does seem to represent the Flower Kings getting back on track. The first song, Tower One is great and a highlight, but doesn't pose anything new. There seems to be less of the huge amount of filler that we have had in previous albums. I'd recommend...
Published 3 days ago by J.S

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to form and refreshing new album, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Desolation Rose (Audio CD)
Ok it seems the band have listened to my comments or something about using new timbres in their music and using new ideas because the last couple albums did just sort of sound very similar in overall timbre and style and a bit predictable this album however they have done away with the overly symphonic and replaced it with something mysterious inventive and adventurous like old times the whole album is actually one song as I understand it. While it is unmistakeably the flower kings they have gone out on a limb to juice it up, te guitars sound more raw the keyboards sound more ugly and the drums are more aggressive and the bass is less widdly and more basic the vocals are performed as always with great theater and the whole album is just brilliant. I can't wait to hear what else they come up with for the next album until then this new album will sit happil with the rest of their Exemplary discography

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, great band, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Desolation Rose (Audio CD)
The Kings of Scandinavian prog are back with one of their best albums ever. The playing as ever is immaculate and Roine Stolt's production faultless.

One question, why now MP3 download for free??

5.0 out of 5 stars flower kings, 18 April 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desolation Rose (Audio CD)
only really knew of them bedause of transatlantic but this is a great record from a great band making great music

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought to try Flower Kings, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Desolation Rose -2cd- (Audio CD)
I have tried to get into this album and like a few tracks but just cannot relate to their music as I had hoped to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a superb album., 13 Dec 2013
Nicholas Green (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desolation Rose (Audio CD)
My friend got me into this band after bugging me for ages and I finally got 'Banks of Eden' really enjoying that album but feeling that I haven't enough knowledge of The Flower Kings to really offer my two pence. Just as a side note: 'Banks of Eden' was my first (and not last) The Flower Kings album. My friend, needless to add, was thrilled - although I would say nonchalantly that it's a win-win situation.

Buying this album I knew what to expect the second time around; more prog, please! And even though I can't do into much detail about the songs themselves I wouldn't think anyone would need to as the music speaks for itself and - well - I've only had the album for a few days. I just wanted to show my love for an amazing album and an amazing band.

"Tower One" starts this album off brilliantly. No long and winding intro as you'd normally expect in a 13-minute opening song but it just cuts straight it with a simple drum rhythm, with soft and caressing vocals. The thing I love about TFK is their accessibility and musical know-how to write a damn good tune.

From there is where I fell in love with this album. So do yourself a favour and check this out.

4 / 5

2.0 out of 5 stars A step back in the good direction but still far to go, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Desolation Rose (Audio CD)
This is the first Flowerkings album in more than 10 years that almost sounds like something worth listening to. It is far from good, but they're on the right track. (I hope)
For me all albums up to and including Rainmaker were brilliant... Classic prog rock at its best. Then the band started working on all kinds of side projects and I can only guess that their inspiration was spread so thin that they finally burned out. It also became visible within the side projects themselves after a few albums... Karmakanic made 3 great albums. Transatlantic made one great (the first). Thomas Bodin has made a number of great solo albums but the last in his trilogy series was although not bad not what I would have expected. I sounded more like a rock record than a prog rock keyboard palyers solo album,
As mentioned above, The Flowerkings music as been inspirationless, empty and lets face it,... Totaly boring... Compare the last ten years with the fantastics tracks on Space Revolver, Flower Power, Stardust, Metropolis,.... Most tracks were real gems full of substance and inspiration. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for all band members... Fantastic musicians... But we all can run out of ideas... Hopefully this album sounds in a new era and get them back on track to things like the earlier albums. Good luck guys..

Desolation Rose -2cd-
Desolation Rose -2cd- by The Flower Kings (Audio CD - 2013)