5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate; moving; interesting read
Published 22 months ago by Hopalong

3.0 out of 5 stars Tennis or Rheumatoid Arthritis?
I bought this book wanting to know about rheumatoid arthritis. I know people who suffer from this crippling disease and wanted to learn more about it.

However a word of warning to those who want to actually know more about rheumatoid arthritis; this book is a memoir and therefore at least the first third of the book is about tennis. For anyone who suffers from...
Published 21 months ago by A. E. Blunsden

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate; moving; interesting read, 23 Sep 2012
As a RA sufferer myself from a young age, I found this detailed story of Alice so true and moving. The tennis depth of the book is very necessary - to put her altered life into perspective. (It could be any career: the feelings, pain and frustration would be the same) I am full of admiration for the way this young lady is coping with her life! It was a very interesting, emotional, true account of a life altered by illness.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching story, 11 Jan 2009
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a touching, true story about a young girl with a promising tennis career who is struck down with rheumatoid arthritus. The story follows her battle against the disease and how it has changed her life and robbed her of the one passion in life, tennis.

I found the first section of the book quite difficult to get through and found myself checking through the chapters to see when the story of Alice's fight againg RA started. If you love tennis, then you really wont find the first part of the book hard at all because that is what it focuses on.

However, I am glad I battled on and didnt give up because further into the story, I realised just why how much time had been devoted to the tennis career. To understand Alice's loss you have to understand what she has lost.

It was a lovely story, one that will give strength to any person battling against this dreadful disease.

4.0 out of 5 stars Biography from the heart, 11 Jan 2009
N. Gratton "Writer & Photographer" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A book that leads you through the full range of emotions from ambitious teenager with the tennis world at her feet to a still young woman with more experience of life's traumas than most of us care to contemplate.

This is a story of justifiable ambition and determination thwarted by an almost uncontrollable and disabling disease where hope, ambition and determination counted for very little.

Alice Peterson has written a biography from the heart, easily readable whilst tearing at the emotions, she leads us through the desperate endeavours of her parents, friends, teachers and doctors to make her life bearable and to offer her a future worth living. Even small victories were worthy of great elation whilst any big victory always seemed to get further away however hard it was strived for.

A lesson on life and an excellent read although the ending went on a little too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly-written inspirational autobiography, 30 July 2001
By A Customer
Alice's struggle against this debilitating illness makes you realise the important things in life and how we should not take anything for granted. This remarkable story is told with humour and honesty - she admits how hard it has been at times whilst reminding us that she is a young person who is determined to live a fulfilled life. Her accounts of the competitive tennis circuit are fascinating and you learn where she gained her strength of character from. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very touching and moving, 3 Oct 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I love Alice Peterson's fiction books, and knowing a little bit about her personal background, I was eager to read her book Another Alice, a true story about how when she was at the height of a huge and promising tennis career, was then diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

I don't want to say that I loved this book (even though I did!) because that doesn't quite sound right, but it touched me and it moved me in a way that I haven't felt in a while.

Alice is very honest about her life, and we see her go from a carefree tennis player with huge dreams of a career, to having to suddenly cope with a life-changing illness. I feel that I learnt so much about rheumatoid arthritis, and the way that Alice told her story made it feel as though I was with her every step of the way. We are given such an insight into not only the rheumatoid arthritis itself, but also the emotions, the pain and the hardships that go with it in Alice's daily life. Having mobility problems myself, I really felt that I could identify with some of Alice's feelings and frustrations, and so in particular I was gripped to the book wanting to read more of her journey.

I became so involved in the book - I was truly devastated for Alice as I read about the effect that her rheumatoid arthritis meant for her dreams of continuing playing tennis. When I was paralysed down one side I was only young so I didn't then have hopes and dreams like Alice, but now I think of things I would have loved to achieve in my life that I will never do, and then my heart breaks for Alice all over again because I truly understand and feel her pain.

It is a very inspiring novel - Alice shows such courage, fight and bravery in her determination to pick herself up, move forward and make the most of her life, and turn the negatives into positives. Alice's story touched my heart, had me crying freely and it stayed with me long after I had finished the last page.

I really admire Alice, she is a lovely person both inside and out and I'm so pleased that I was able to read her story and learn more about her. Alice encourages me and inspires me to take each day as it comes and to always look on the bright side, because no matter what, we always have hope, friends and something to smile about. This is a really touching and moving book and I hope everyone reads it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Amazing Woman, 12 Jan 2009
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, it may sound like a cliche but most of us do not know true suffering. Alice does. However bad it may be for us - divorce, depression, unhappy at work, we have probably never experienced permanent physical pain. Alice has. I am the same age as Alice, but I thank God that I never had to go through what she did. I couldn't wait any longer to submit my review because I want people, the publishers and the author herself - to know that it has been so moving.
The story is upsetting because Alice has been through emotional and physical hell. It is not pleasant to read about another human beings suffering. The fact that this is the suffering of a young woman in the prime of her life, makes it even more poignant to read. From a talented tennis player to being struck down with a horrendous illness, she tells her story with charm and bravery. In fact, as Alice talks about her tennis career and the determination to succeed you begin to realise she is a fighter. This is not about self pity but a moving and honest account of her life. The book is extremely well written. Alice describes her journey from talented rising UK tennis star to the realization that her path is about to change.
When I was the same age as Alice I too was beginning to develop a career in something I had always wanted to succeed in. While I was cut short in my tracks, I can't even begin to know how Alice must have felt. Please read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Sad but a great read, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Another Alice: An inspiring true story of a young woman's battle to overcome rheumatoid arthritis (Kindle Edition)
5 stars for this because it is Inspiring it hit home hard ..for all sufferers of RA do read it it made me realise that there is life after RA and others do suffer more than me I have read alla Alice Petersons books and have enjoyed them all but this one hit a personal chord with me .

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice Peterson, 22 Jan 2014
Mrs. J. I. Chambers (Andover Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I have read all Alice Peterson's books but in the wrong order as I read another Alice next to last. I really enjoyed reading Another Alice but its such a shame that she was unable to continue her career as a tennis player. I think she is a very brave woman to have gone through all the pain and operations, and then become a best selling authour.
All her books are fantastic and I would recomend (and have done) her to anyone and everyone. My only question to Alice is--- when will there be more books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another alice, 4 Jan 2014
I couldn't' put this book down. It is such an incredible moving story. It shows you the courage and determination of Alice throughout her life. The love and support her family and friends gave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring !, 9 Dec 2013
What a great character this girl has ! She did hit the depths, and felt sorry for herself, as we all would have done, but she battled on and got to grips with her illness and has obviously become a lovely strong person. Alice, hope you continue to enjoy your life !