Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 28 August 2014
Let this young lady's dulcet tones swoop you away from the trials and tribulations of everyday life!
Each track is unique, but with a similar whimsical feel, my personal favourite being 'Buzzcut Season' track 5, which will rise and fall so effortlessly, building to a great crescendo at the chorus that I just can't get enough of!
Not to mention the popularised tracks 'Tennis Court' and 'Team' which are truly cracking pop tunes which put this lady in a league of her own.

Deserves all the plaudits she gets in my opinion!! 5 stars!!
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2014
Bought this album on the risky basis of loving one particular song (as I gave birth to my daughter whilst it was on the radio!)
I was really pleased I did though - the majority of songs are beautiful and lyrical. Plus it has the added bonus of having the lyrics printed inside so you can sing along to lovely Lorde's voice knowing you are getting the words right :)
on 23 December 2013
Remarkable album, and I could add "for somebody who's only 16", but that would seem to be talking down to her. It's remarkable, period.

It seems that she did much of the production herself, and yet it's as if she already knows everything there is to know.
There are no loose wires dangling or rough edges in her music, it's been worked and worked on it till everything seems to be in exactly the right place.
Sometimes perfection can produce something antiseptic, yet the result is warm, full, melancholy.

She also holds any youthful exaggerations in check: she never lets herself go, which is certainly not a criticism. She just knows exactly what she's doing, starting from the album cover, which in its dark simplicity tells you exactly what to expect.
I'm not generally a great fan of electronic music - too often it sounds like something made by a programme, whereas here each bit sounds like it was carefully crafted by a human, even though it's electronic.

Another big plus is the way the album continues to grow on you: it's one of those that you never get bored with. A first listening is good, you can feel the quality right away, but I loved the effects over time.

I've seen her briefly on video and her physical presence is amazing too with a gaze that shows total inner calm. Really captivating.

I like all the tracks but in particular the long end track "A World Alone".
The only disappointment is the drug reference in the title, I know it's all part of it, I only wish it wasn't, of course. But then that's the whole point.
on 25 May 2014
Great album, good talent from such a young girl from New Zealand. Well worth a listen and good addition to the music collection
on 22 May 2014
Amazing song writer and singer. Not a bad track on the album. Lorde is going to be very big indeed.
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2013
I was initially put off buying this album as a few reviews said only Royals was a good track and the rest were rubbish. Eventually after listening to part of the album on spotify I decided to buy it and Im glad I did.
I just used the mp3 download which was half the price of the album and other downloads.
I really love this album, its smooth, poignant and easy to listen to -which is a surprise but Lorde's smooth vocals are so easy to listen. The lyrics are observational and hard hitting but due to the way Lords sings she makes her point but in a wonderfully smooth way.The first 3 tracks are the best - Tennis court, 400 lux and Royals are for the best- along with the last track A world alone. One or two tracks on the album are a bit rambling -like Ribs but may appeal to others .Overall I really like it- I rarely buy album's but love the mix of the smoothness of Lorde's voice, the darkness of the songs but they are lifted but some upbeat undertones. Some songs remind me of Mia but less aggressive .
Overall I really like and am recommending it to everyone I know- including you .
on 15 June 2014
This is one of the strongest CDs I have purchased for a long time. Very good to listen in the car.
on 5 November 2013
Seriously. She's that good. Just listen to the samples. I first heard Lorde a while back, and thought she'd just be another one of those artists that I love and nobody else really knows about. Bought her EP, Royals, and loved it to death. But then to my joy, she started showing up on TV and things, getting mainstream recognition and generally becoming super popular, and it's so well-deserved! People really need to support these kinds of artists - show the industry that people care more about talent and good music than 'image'!
Wow, that's all I can say. Forget the fact that Lorde is the new, hotly tipped, wunderkind who is destined for a life of success before she has even left her teens. Forget the fact that she has weighty producers behind her ensuring her music hits all the right spots.

Sit back and enjoy this for what it is, a brilliantly, written and produced album that, in turns, veers from pop to hip-hop to, dare I say it, shadings of Kate Bush. The lyrics are inspired, you have all heard Royals which is one of many standouts here.

Lorde has a cool, knowing quality to her writing that is witty, relevant and real without descending into teenage preening and eye-rolling, she has a knack for deft line structures that smack of deep thinking and a perceptive personality.

The music is the perfect backdrop to the lyrics, low key, never dominant, just there enough to show its presence without overpowering the beguiling voice.

A new standard in debut albums that is worth a listen.
on 11 April 2014
Loved Royals on Jools Holland, so this prompted me to buy the album. Didn't regret it. This girl will go far!