Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.99

VINE VOICEon 28 August 2014
Bought this album on the risky basis of loving one particular song (as I gave birth to my daughter whilst it was on the radio!)
I was really pleased I did though - the majority of songs are beautiful and lyrical. Plus it has the added bonus of having the lyrics printed inside so you can sing along to lovely Lorde's voice knowing you are getting the words right :)
on 28 August 2014
Let this young lady's dulcet tones swoop you away from the trials and tribulations of everyday life!
Each track is unique, but with a similar whimsical feel, my personal favourite being 'Buzzcut Season' track 5, which will rise and fall so effortlessly, building to a great crescendo at the chorus that I just can't get enough of!
Not to mention the popularised tracks 'Tennis Court' and 'Team' which are truly cracking pop tunes which put this lady in a league of her own.

Deserves all the plaudits she gets in my opinion!! 5 stars!!
on 5 November 2013
Seriously. She's that good. Just listen to the samples. I first heard Lorde a while back, and thought she'd just be another one of those artists that I love and nobody else really knows about. Bought her EP, Royals, and loved it to death. But then to my joy, she started showing up on TV and things, getting mainstream recognition and generally becoming super popular, and it's so well-deserved! People really need to support these kinds of artists - show the industry that people care more about talent and good music than 'image'!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 December 2013
Did you know that Ella Yelich-O'Connor (let's call her simply Lorde) created and produced this album, "Pure Heroine" almost by herself, at the tender age of 16, and what she created feels really organic, living (and swimming in its own melancholia) and pure (yes, I almost refer to the title). Not to sound like a proud relative praising a precocious teen, I must underline that I did not really care how old she was, I was (and still am) juts enjoying the album - simple as that!

Okay, Lorde sounds a bit like Lana Del Rey, but does not Miley Cyrus sound like Taylor Swift, and Christina Aguilera like Britney Spears and vice versa. I do not mind the comparison and similarities, what the heck, bring them on, if the result will be so hypnotising and despondent (in the best possible uplifting way) and full of low murmur and gentle laughs and delights and intelligence.

Seriously, the more I listen to "Pure Heroine", the more I like it, it is definitely a grower. Just an example: while it is playing in the background, some songs will always bring my attention to them, no matter what I am doing. Which I think pretty much equals to the fact that there is more to the album than musings of some "bored" (as NME called her) teenager, yes, some of the songs are much catchier than the others, but I've listened to so many albums which, when played in the background, forever stayed there.

This is a beautiful, atmospheric if not a bit moody and impressive debut which has an almost magical feel to it.
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2013
I was initially put off buying this album as a few reviews said only Royals was a good track and the rest were rubbish. Eventually after listening to part of the album on spotify I decided to buy it and Im glad I did.
I just used the mp3 download which was half the price of the album and other downloads.
I really love this album, its smooth, poignant and easy to listen to -which is a surprise but Lorde's smooth vocals are so easy to listen. The lyrics are observational and hard hitting but due to the way Lords sings she makes her point but in a wonderfully smooth way.The first 3 tracks are the best - Tennis court, 400 lux and Royals are for the best- along with the last track A world alone. One or two tracks on the album are a bit rambling -like Ribs but may appeal to others .Overall I really like it- I rarely buy album's but love the mix of the smoothness of Lorde's voice, the darkness of the songs but they are lifted but some upbeat undertones. Some songs remind me of Mia but less aggressive .
Overall I really like and am recommending it to everyone I know- including you .
on 23 December 2013
Remarkable album, and I could add "for somebody who's only 16", but that would seem to be talking down to her. It's remarkable, period.

It seems that she did much of the production herself, and yet it's as if she already knows everything there is to know.
There are no loose wires dangling or rough edges in her music, it's been worked and worked on it till everything seems to be in exactly the right place.
Sometimes perfection can produce something antiseptic, yet the result is warm, full, melancholy.

She also holds any youthful exaggerations in check: she never lets herself go, which is certainly not a criticism. She just knows exactly what she's doing, starting from the album cover, which in its dark simplicity tells you exactly what to expect.
I'm not generally a great fan of electronic music - too often it sounds like something made by a programme, whereas here each bit sounds like it was carefully crafted by a human, even though it's electronic.

Another big plus is the way the album continues to grow on you: it's one of those that you never get bored with. A first listening is good, you can feel the quality right away, but I loved the effects over time.

I've seen her briefly on video and her physical presence is amazing too with a gaze that shows total inner calm. Really captivating.

I like all the tracks but in particular the long end track "A World Alone".
The only disappointment is the drug reference in the title, I know it's all part of it, I only wish it wasn't, of course. But then that's the whole point.
on 15 September 2015
One of the very best début album I've ever heard, I bought it on an absolute whim after hearing Bruce Springsteen's acoustic cover of Royals - and have hardly stopped playing it for the last year. The lyrics are quite outstanding, and the instrumentation and production is mostly quite minimalist (for a pop album) so it doesn't overwhelm Lorde's well-pitched voice. The album has great depth if that's what you're after, but is easy enough to listen to that you can enjoy just drifting along to it. I don't anticipate getting bored of it any time soon!.
on 25 May 2014
Great album, good talent from such a young girl from New Zealand. Well worth a listen and good addition to the music collection
on 23 May 2016
Lorde was recommended to me from other music I've made people working in the office I work in have had to endure.
(Grimes, Sia, Foxes, Lana Del Rey, Ruelle)

Sounds great.

:-)
on 22 May 2014
Amazing song writer and singer. Not a bad track on the album. Lorde is going to be very big indeed.