Chance Of Rain
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£8.74+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 16 December 2013
but it is a dissappointing one.

After enjoying the Hour Logic EP a couple of years ago, and, although I like many struggled with the dry, dissonant, vocals of Quarantine, I still found that album interesting if difficult to consume. Even her Behind the Green Door EP from earlier this year had it's moments.

Unfortunately, I can't get into this one. I first track I heard from it was Ainnome, which I liked, especially the Ken Ishii jelly Tones pitch bent synths, so I decided to give the album a go. First track, a nice little Fender Rhodes sounding improv, about 30 minutes of ambient techno, then Ainnome, and a nice little jazzy piano improv to end. I listened to it a couple more times but still the same general impression, maybe Still/Dromos grew on me a bit. There is nothing to dislike here, nothing jarring or irritating but not much that stands out either. it's not ambient techno, it's AMBIENT techno, and when the beat is somewhat sacrificed in these dance/not-dance pieces, interest needs to come from other areas. I think that's my main gripe, that it seems too subdued and even safe.

It's a perfectly decent album, and I can see why people love it, but when there is so much undanceable (not in a pejorative sense) Basic Channel-inspired techno around now, i think a release has to be extra special to stand out. I do think Laurel Halo has talent there but as yet it's manifestations haven't connected with me.

In a similar vein is Huerco S' Colonial Patterns which came out around the same time as Chance of Rain. I found this release much more to my liking.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again