5.0 out of 5 stars Very atmospheric, tragic., 13 Mar 2014
UK Filmbuff "filmbuff1382" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bang, You're Dead [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent film. The settings are absolutely beautiful, but also very bleak. It is post war and the foresters live a hard life. They have children, but some have no wives because of what happened only a short while back. The story focuses on a community of foresters and, in particular, two young boys who are chums. After the war, there were many "remnants" left over and it is not surprising that a young child should find one.... and not understand exactly how dangerous it is. He is naïve, but not bad. His father is strict, but not brutal. However, after a tragic accident, he doesn't realise that he is not to blame. The innocence of youth, coupled with the fear of recrimination, makes this a believable story. It is not too dissimilar to others of its type, but it is still very noteworthy.

The picture and sound quality are good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film from director Lance Comfort..., 7 April 2014
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bang, You're Dead [DVD] (DVD)
This is probably the best film that director Lance Comfort made. It is as another reviewer mentions the locations and atmosphere that make it very watchable. The leads are excellent and any film with Jack Warner & Derek Farr is well worth seeing in my book. Network have done a great job on this film transfer and I am looking forward to Noose for a Lady...another top class British thriller. Great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars WORTH A WATCH, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Bang, You're Dead [DVD] (DVD)
NOTHING LIKE THE PLAY OF THE SAME NAME. RATHER PREDICTABLE BUT SHOWS JACK WARNER AT HIS BEST. WAS HE EVER YOUNG? I HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM IN A FILM WHERE HE DOESN'T LOOK ANY DIFFERENT FROM DIXON OF DOCK GREEN.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE NETWORK/STUDIO CANAL RELEASE, 26 April 2014
A. W. Wilson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bang, You're Dead [DVD] (DVD)
Apart from being a bit confused with the beginning of this film, I must say I was pretty much held in rapt attention for most of it. The success definitely depended on the 2 boys, who are the story, and both Anthony Richmond (in particular) and Sean Barrett play magnificently (perhaps helped by director Lance Comfort.) Comfort pulls off a most unusual film, not only for it's time (1954) but, for me, well I can only perhaps compare it to "To Kill A Mockingbird", but perhaps that's a film too far. Anyway, this is worth any film lovers money, and the Network transfer is up to their usual high standard. No extras. Just a word about Jack Warner-he is terrific in this and I wonder if others have the same thoughts as me...What a tremendous, scary villain he could be! Not that he is here. Just a thought to cast out. Highly recomended film for all fans of unusual film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and haunting British film with wonderful child actors, 12 July 2014
Alun Williams "mathematician manqué" (Peterborough,England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bang, You're Dead [DVD] (DVD)
I saw part of this film on TV in the 1970s, and I couldn't remember the title, and it took me a very long time to track it down - reading through lists of British films by year in the hope of recognising it when I saw it. So it didn't help that I think I saw it under its alternative title of "Game of Danger". Eventually I tracked it down, and found a clip online, which made me pretty sure this was it, but the film had not been released on DVD. So, a couple of weeks ago, when I casually searched again, and found it now had been I was very happy indeed. But would "Bang! You're dead" live up to my hazy memory of it?

Well, you can see by the five stars I've awarded it that indeed it does. The setting, the story, the music, and the acting (particularly that of the two children) are all haunting. In fact it was the song "Lazy Day", sung by Canadian Edmund Hockridge, that stayed with me longest, and which I fruitlessly searched for several times. Strangely, it turns out that the singer lived for many years until his death in 2009 in Peterborough, where I've also lived for many years. I've even seen his son Murray Hockridge, who is a guitarist and singer, performing here. The film seems to have been released almost exactly five years after his father's death.

So, apart from the song, what is it that stayed with me? Mostly the dire poverty of the setting - most of the characters seem to live in Nissen huts on an abandoned US army base, but also the forest setting - the children have the kind of freedom to play unsupervised that is long gone: we see Cliff, the young boy around 7 years old responsible for the accidental shooting at the centre of the plot, playing in old army trucks, hunting through abandoned army buildings, roaming through the forest, using a raft to get to his own island den, and earning money by collecting and selling manure. But, in this film this freedom leads to tragedy and an adult comes under suspicion of murder. That side of the plot, and the love rivalry that provides the innocent man's supposed motive, are fairly routine; in fact, once the story is in full swing they are pretty well forgotten about. It is the scenes between Cliff and Willy, the withdrawn and slightly simple older boy he bosses around, or their interactions with Cliff's father (played by Jack Warner), and the policeman investigating the death, which make this film a one-off, and quite a special one at that.

Well done to Network for releasing this film, and for doing a good job with both sound and picture. I'll be looking out for opportunities to see other films by director Lance Comfort. Excellent value for money too.

Bang, You're Dead [DVD]
Bang, You're Dead [DVD] by Lance Comfort (DVD - 2014)