Logitech have now improved the case, and there is no longer any problem with the magnets. I originally wrote the review below under the Belkin Keyboard Case, but it needs to be seen here as well:-

Published 9 months ago by JRAD

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but bad problem with cover magnets
It's an excellent keyboard folio; at 440 grams it's lighter than the Belkin competitor, and I like the keyboard feel.

Published 16 months ago by C. D. G. Stross

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but bad problem with cover magnets, 3 Dec. 2013
C. D. G. Stross "Charlie Stross" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech UltraThin Keyboard Folio for iPad Carbon Black - UK layout (Personal Computers)

However, when you close it the case can move, and the magnetic on/off sensor can cause the ipad to switch on. I'm really NOT happy about this, but for now I'm putting up with it -- I've set ipad to auto-lock after 2 minutes which will hopefully prevent the battery from getting run down too far. (I bought direct from Logitech rather than Amazon, so returning it is a bit harder.)

I'd recommend against buying one of these folios until Logitech fix this problem.

EDIT: If you've got an Air, you're running iOS 7. You can switch off the magnetic on/off sensor by going into Settings -> General -> Lock/Unlock and setting the switch to "off". Once you do this, the folio will stop switching your iPad on randomly and draining the battery ... you'll just have to switch it on and off yourself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would love to be positive about this case, 18 Mar. 2014
As already mentioned in several reviews, this has some good features and I would love to recommend it but I've just returned my 3rd one in as many months.
They've all had the same issue(s) - again, mentioned in several reviews:

The retaining clip on the power switch side is just poorly designed - the plastic is too thin and all 3 of mine snapped under what I would consider to be normal use - I don't want to keep the iPad in the case all the time so it was clipped in and out occasionally. As I'd already had 2 break, I was particularly careful with the 3rd but it also snapped within a few weeks.
I have to point out that the 3rd came from the Apple Store - theirs are a slightly different design with a grainy finish and a white interior - I also figured that Apple would have carried out their own quality checks and maybe the plastic was tougher.

Even before the clips broke there was the annoyance of the closure just being just too weak to prevent the case opening slightly in transit and switching the iPad on - yes, you can disable the 'auto on/off' in Settings but given that I do use the device in other cases which take advantage of this feature this is a bit of a pain.

All in all, I really hope that Logitech are taking notice of these negative reviews, as well those on their own site. There are some good points about this case and it deserves to sell, but until they have redesigned that clip I'm afraid it's probably best avoided - even at the discounted price...

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 12 Dec. 2013
My husband and I had been having a nightmare finding a decent iPad Air cover and when he found this one I thought our search was over although they were super pricey, they looked to be worth the investment.

After pre-ordering, we waited for them to be released and were very impressed when they arrived. The keyboard is nice and sturdy and despite the iPad being difficult to actually clip in, once it was in, it felt good and solid.

Unfortunately that's where the positive ends. The biggest problem with this product is the fact that the sleep magnet does not work all the time. When you put the cover back on it is hit and miss as to whether the screen powers off and more importantly stays powered off. This causes a huge drain on the battery as for whatever reason the auto sleep function also doesn't work. In addition one of the brackets holding the iPad in snapped and whilst the iPad stayed in, for the money that we paid it was a waste.

We have had to send the cases back to Amazon. Very disappointing. The search continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no longer a 'fundamental flaw' : the Folio is now much improved - and excellent customer service from Logitech, 28 Jun. 2014

My Logitech iPad Air keyboard purchased over six months ago sadly did not survive the hot cup of coffee I poured on it. I would have replaced it had it not been for the near universal problem (the 'fundamental flaw') of the top left of the case holder (over the on/off switch) being made of flimsy plastic that had broken within the first week. The keyboard was still functional, so I didn't bother to return it. I can't understand why Logitech don't correct this infuriating problem, and I will not buy another unless/until they do.

So, how does the Belkin Keyboard case compare with the Logitech Folio?

It's heavier. Other reviewers have said it is more robust. Maybe, but it's metallic and more brittle and so I don't think it will provide the same amount of cushioning if I drop the iPad. I will try not to.

The magnets holding the screen to the keyboard are strong and efficient. The keyboard itself is significantly smaller than the Logitech keyboard, making touch typing feel cramped. Aesthetically it is pleasing when open, less so when closed. In fact, when closed, to my eye the top of the case looks like the bottom and vice versa. I suppose I will get used to this.

Contrary to what a comment on a previous review says, there is NOT an automatic off function when the lid is closed. That is irritating but not insuperable. More infuriatingly, the keyboard is not set up correctly and conventionally for typing. If you are a two finger typist, this won't bother you, but touch typists will find the idiosyncratic location of : and ; and / (particularly / for me) infuriating. Serious cock-up, Belkin. More thought required.

So, if you go Logitech you will have to put up with a broken top left corner by the on/off switch. If you go Belkin, you lose the automatic off facility and have to put up with odd key placement. If both Belkin and Logitech corrected their respective problems, I would get the Logitech keyboard every time. Had it not been for the cup of coffee, I would have stayed with the Logitech keyboard despite the broken plastic. However, on principle, I'm not buying another one with such an obvious poor and thoughtless design fault. I shall persevere with the Belkin for now but if, as and when Logitech get their act together, I may go back to their keyboard.

++++++++++

After using the Belkin for a few days, and still missing the Logitech Folio, I was coming to the conclusion that, if Logitech addressed the design fault, I would pay the extra to buy another one. I emailed Logitech telling them that I had had to replace the keyboard due to destroying it with a cup of hot coffee, and that, much as I liked the Logitech keyboard, I was not prepared to buy another due to the design flaw that meant the top left hand corner of the case covering the on/off switch had broken within a few days of use. They informed me that the fault had been sorted out and that, as mine had been faulty more or less since the beginning, and not withstanding the cup of coffee, they would replace it free of charge. I thought that was outstanding service. I was not expecting it particularly after the coffee disaster. So full marks to Logitech. So, I now have a Logitech Folio keyboard case again. What a relief. The keyboard is bigger then the Belkin and thus better for touch typing with my medium size hands. Unlike the Belkin, the Logitech keys are logically placed for typing, in particular with the : and ; and / keys being exactly where they should be. I have never had a problem with the Logitech 'A' key, which seems fine to me. Overall, I much prefer the Logitech to the Belkin, though now being able to compare them side by side, I realise the Belkin does have some advantages. The Belkin case is rigid, and thus holds the iPad much more firmly. The Logitech Case allows the iPad to wobble slightly when the screen is touched. Others above have said that the Belkin case provides no protection. That is exaggerated. One reviewer says the Belkin case does not close properly. That is incorrect. It does. However, the downside of the rigidity is that, as others have observed, if dropped the Belkin case will not buffer the fall in any way and so the iPad is more likely to be damaged. On the plus side for Belkin, the Belkin has a choice of viewing angles. The Logitech does not. I miss the ability to alter the angle of the iPad that I had with the Belkin. On the plus side for Logitech, the case switches off the iPad on closure. Although I have had a Logitech case for six months, I have never experienced problems with the magnets accidentally switching the iPad on when the case has been moved but clearly from the reviews others have. I tried to duplicate this failing with my new Logitech case by moving the closed lid around but could not do so. The iPad remained off. But this is minor stuff. The crucial thing for me is the typing 'experience' and for me (no doubt a subjective view) the Logitech is vastly superior. I vacillated between giving four and five stars, but went for five stars in view of the superb customer relations from Logitech. My experience suggests that, if you do have a significant problem with the Folio, Logitech will replace it immediately and without quibble. Great stuff.

Finally, some general remarks about iPad keyboards, which I have been using in one incarnation or another since the iPad first appeared. The lateral dimensions of the iPad are smaller than a conventional keyboard. It's a tablet, for God's sake, not a laptop. The iPad itself is a compromise between a mobile phone and a lap top. Thus, if you want a keyboard in a case which also contains the iPad, you have to accept some keyboard compromises. Unfortunately there is no standardisation of such compromises. Each manufacturer has its own idiosyncratic approach. A standard computer keyboard, such as the one provided by iMacs, has fourteen keys across the first letter row : TAB QWERTYUIOP{} ENTER. The keyboard is > 3 cm wider than the iPad keyboards. Of course you could squeeze all the fourteen keys of a totally conventional keyboard onto the iPad keyboard but, if you did, the size of the keys, and the gaps in-between, would be uncomfortably small for touch-typing. In order to facilitate comfortable touch typing, a compromise has to be made. Logitech do this by sacrificing the dedicated tab key and replacing it with a combination TAB/Q key thus reducing the number of keys on the row to thirteen. Belkin take a different approach. They also reduce the number of keys to thirteen but do it by removing the the ENTER key from the row. Their ENTER is much smaller, and located on the second row alone rather than straddling the first and second rows. This allows them to maintain a separate dedicated TAB key. Personally, I don't use the TAB key often, but I use the the ENTER key frequently and I'm used to a larger enter key straddling the two rows. Thus I found with the Belkin that I was frequently hitting a BRACKET key rather then ENTER. Others may not have that problem. Yes, using the Logitech, if I want to TAB or use CAPS LOCK, I have to look down for a second or so. But it is a minor and occasional inconvenience and well worth tolerating in order to have a bigger ENTER key.

A number of comments have criticised the Logitech "A" key and claimed that it is not in the correct position. Over many months of using the keyboard, I had not noticed this and was surprised by the criticism. I do not understand why anyone who can genuinely touch type would have difficulties and so I wonder if in fact they cannot genuinely touch type. If you put your fingers in the neutral starting position with your index fingers over the "F" and "J" keys (yes, there is, as there should be, a small raised bar under each of these two letters enabling those with poor eyesight to identify the keys by touch) your fifth left finger is automatically and naturally over the "A" key. So there should not be a problem. Looking carefully at the Logitech keyboard, all the basic alphanumeric characters and basic punctuation marks are where they should be. Not so with the Belkin which has odd and, for touch typing, infuriating positioning of : and ; and /.

In conclusion, all these keyboards are a compromise but, for me, the Logitech wins out every time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned item - not quite good enough, 3 Dec. 2013
Urfan Khaliq (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
I had to return my ipad folio. Logitech are advertising this folio for the ipad heavily. But it falls short in two key respects for me. First the key board lay out. While it is ok - some of the letters especially A are not where you expect them to be, so it will take quite some getting used to to type accurately. I could live with this if it were not for the second shortcoming. Second, the cover is not affixed to one side of the ipad. The cover attaches to the top and bottom corner of the right hand side of the ipad and the idea is the left hand side is attached to the magnetised strip to allow the ipad to stand up as in the pictures and for it to be used much like a laptop. The problem with this is that the cover does not sit or align properly when you close the folio thus the ipad stays on. If you wiggle the cover of the folio when closed it will switch the ipad off and you will hear the click but the second the cover moves - which it will - your ipad will come back on again. It is massively annoying. Because of this I returned it. Other than these two shortcomings it is not a bad product. A shame, as I was waiting for this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Design - with one devastating flaw, 1 Mar. 2014
I love the usability of this folio case, the design with a folding lid to be able to use the iPad as a clamshell with the keyboard, or fold it to use without keyboard is brilliant. The keyboard is light, responsive and well laid out (ignore the other comments about the combined A/Caps key - it's fine).

The one critical flaw is the bracket which grips the iPad and also has a switch cover for the iPad's on/off switch. The plastic is so thin here that in normal operation, just by gripping the case near the camera hole, the bracket snaps. This is a critical design flaw, and means, until this bracket is redesigned I won't be replacing my broken case. I feel this is a shame, as without this flaw it's clearly the best keyboard case for the iPad air.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design, 9 Dec. 2013
Dont buy this product. The keyboard has letters in weird places, in particular the 'a', which slows down writing. Second, the magnetic system doesnt work well, meaning that the iPad will turn on and of while you carry it around, draining your battery. Two major design flaws. Logitech needs to solve this urgently or retract the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Magnets keep switching on iPad, 30 Nov. 2013
Unfortunately I have had to return this item. The Magnet in the case keeps turning the device on - so you close the case it switches the iPad off - but then a few seconds later the iPad is back on again..

I also think the item is overpriced for what it is..

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed product design - complete waste of money., 23 May 2014
WL (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Given the price and the brand, you'd be forgiven for thinking this was a smart-looking, well designed case for your money. Well, you'd be very wrong. I've owned mine for just under 4 weeks now and today I've just noticed a crack has appeared across one of the two bits of plastic which hold the iPad Air in the case. I can't explain how this crack has appeared as I've not dropped nor knocked it hard against anything so I'm guessing it's simply down to fatigue.

I've also noticed today that the magnetic strip which holds the iPad in place on the keyboards in the open position has become unstuck in the middle and stays magnetically attached to the iPad when I try to separate the two.

I've worked with standard qwerty keyboards for most of my 39 years and touch type fairly well apart from when I use this keyboard because some rogue designer had the brainwave of shifting the 'A' key left one position which means you frequently end up correcting typos where you've substituted 'S' for 'A', etc.

How this keyboard got past any quality control or usability tests, I don't know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy design and scratched screen, 15 May 2014
Have only owned this product for a few months and the clip which holds the power/lock button side of the iPad in place has broken (although this can be bodged with some craft foam and some glue). More worryingly is the fact that because there are no rubber protectors/separators at the rear of the product, the ipad screen is left to rest (and slide) on the hard plastic backing to the keyboard. At some point some grit has got in-between this and my screen and left loads of tiny scratches - this kind of defeats the point of a case if it doesn't protect against this sort of thing. Will be getting rid of it immediately. The actual keypad and functions work really well but as a case it is useless. Back to the drawing board with this one I think.