4.0 out of 5 stars Great iPad Air Keyboard - but is it the best for you?
The Logitec Ultrathin attempts to bridge the gap between iPad and a laptop by giving your iPad Air a usable keyboard, and I must say it does a reasonable job of it.

Published 11 months ago by John Ryan

2.0 out of 5 stars worth it - less worth it
Published 11 months ago by Sarah72

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iPad Air Keyboard - but is it the best for you?, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Logitech UltraThin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air Black- UK layout (Personal Computers)

Unlike a laptop, the "screen" (the iPad itself), detaches from the keyboard to clip into the hinge along the long edge (guided by magnets), and is then folded flat like a book. When closed, it really does show it's beauty. Basically, the screen closes down over the keys, leaving what looks like two iPad Airs placed together like a sandwich. When you place it down, you can hardly tell if you've got the iPad or the keyboard facing you. Top marks to Logitec for matching the finish so closely to the beautiful aluminium finish of the Air.

When you want to use it, you just gently pull the iPad and keyboard apart, and drop the Air into the magnetic slot on the top. Nice design feature - but it does mean the keyboard feels a little cramped, as your fingers are so close to the screen, and the keyboard itself is placed in the seemingly tiny space between the front edge and the screen. But all is not lost. Despite the small space, you can touch type on this, and the keys have good "travel" - you can feel when they've been pressed down. Keyboard layout is excellent, but the numeric keys are smaller than the others - adding to the feeling of keyboard being cramped.

Of course, the downside, is this keyboard gives almost no protection at all. At best you can place it down so the keyboard (not iPad) is placed on a table, and doesn't get scratched. I think if you accidentally dropped them, the two would just fall apart, and the keyboard will give no protection from bumps or scratches.

The up-side is, you've just spent literally hundreds of pounds on a beautiful piece of Industrial Design in the iPad Air, and it's a shame to hide that in a plastic case. At least the Logitec Ultrathin matches the Air in style rather beautifully. Just don't drop it.

One concern I had, was could you use this on your lap? Well, sitting in bed typing this review I can reassure you that it works fine. A clever combination of magnets and gravity mean the Air sits nicely. Of course a back-lit keyboard would be nice (like the Zagg Folio), but that would add to the weight.

In common with nearly all iPad keyboards - the iPad automatically switches on, and then off when you close it - a great feature. Also they battery life on these things is incredible - typically lasting for months without a charge.

What's great about it?

* Build quality is great (as you'd expect at the price), and touch typing is great - almost at top speed.
* It snaps together nicely to place away, and once closed up, matches beautifully with the air in finish
* It's incredibly light and thin. In fact, my research shows (below), it's the lightest keyboard on the market
* While it will happily sit in place on your lap or a table, you can very quickly remove it, and use the iPad "au natural" - a great bonus.
* You can use the keyboard in portrait mode (although I found it felt "unnatural" and wouldn't bother myself)

What's not quite so good?

* They keyboard does feel a little small and cramped. The keys are placed too close to the front edge.
* Unlike most other folio style keyboards, the screen is fixed in one position. For example the Belkin Quode has 3 settings and the Zagg folio a huge range of positions.
* The Logitec Ultrathin provides little or no protection from bangs, scrapes or scratches.

On balance - pretty good. Whether it's the best for you however, depends upon your needs. In particular, for protection against scrapes Vs incredibly thin & light, and the ability to detach iPad and keyboard quickly.

What else is available?

* ZAGG Keys iPad Air Case Folio with Backlit Keyboard - Black. (535g). Complete keyboard cover, very laptop style with backlit keys. Much larger keyboard, but heavier than others.
* Belkin QODE Ultimate Bluetooth Keyboard Case for iPad Air - Black. (413g). Complete cover with aluminium finish and 3 screen positions. Good quality, but similar cramped keyboard.
* Logitec Fabric Skin. (425g). Wipe clean, water resistant keyboard but keys a bit "spongy"
* Logitec Ultrathin (This one!) (313g). Beautiful aluminium finish. Incredibly light, but no protection

Personally I considered the options above, finally narrowing it down to the Zagg and this one. I liked the "laptop" look of the Zagg, and the backlit keyboard is wonderful (but it's also relatively heavy, and covers the iPad in plastic). Having said that, it still weighs less than a MacBook Air. You can read my review of the ZAGG Keys iPad Air Case Folio with Backlit Keyboard - Black on Amazon.

The choice is yours.

PS. Final word of warning. This review is for the Logitec Ultrathin keyboard for the iPad Air. Be careful, if you have an iPad 2/3/4 or even an iPad Mini - this keyboard will be the wrong size. Easy mistake to make. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed The Way I Use My iPad, 25 Jun 2014
I've always had an iPad right from the the very first iteration. The thing I've struggled with most is I've never really thought they get enough use, so each time I buy a new one I have doubts as to why I'm doing it....eventually I end up buying one because they look so nice! In some respects its frustrated me because I have wanted to be productive on my iPad but never really felt that's been an option.

I've tried all sorts styluses to try and get more use from my iPad from the cheaper versions to the much more expensive versions but in the end I never felt comfortable with them and ended up back at square one just using my iPad on and off.

After returning my last stylus I started browsing and came across keyboards in the search results. Don't get me wrong I know they've been around for a while but it's never crossed my mind to buy one because in some respects I've been conditioned by Apple...what's the point in a keyboard when there's an onscreen one, surely that defeats the purpose of having an iPad?!

In the end having seen the positive reviews for this Logitech I decided I didn't have much to lose so went ahead and bought one. In a nutshell it's brilliant and has completely changed the way I use my iPad. I now feel I can get some proper work done on it. It's a strange feeling because it was so unexpected and I had little optimism!

The Logitech makes such a difference and to be honest it's kind of made my MacBook Air redundant. Of course my iPad isn't as powerful as my MacBook Air but for most of the things I do it's more than sufficient. If I need to do some real heavy lifting I turn to my Retina MacBook Pro but certainly when I'm out and about or sitting on the sofa my iPad is now always with me. The keyboard works incredibly well, there's no lag between key presses and anything appearing on the screen, the shortcuts are perfect and it feels nice and solid with plenty of battery life. The keys are closer together than a standard keyboard but it took me no longer than 5 minutes to get used to the slight change and now I can quite easily swap between my Retina MacBook Pro keyboard and the Logitech without any issues.

This is without doubt one of the best accessories I have bought for any of my devices, my iPad is getting much more use and I no longer feel guilty about having an expensive piece of kit that was infrequently used. If you're on the fence, give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh one last thing that really has made a difference and that's there's now no need to use the onscreen keyboard so you have much more screen real-estate and I was massively surprised what a difference that makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality bit of Kit, 27 Jan 2014
I had previously owned the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for iPad 2 and I was very impressed with it, so it was a no brainer to order this model for the iPad Air. Before placing the order I had seen some negative reviews but based on my previous experience with Logitech I went ahead anyway.

It is different to the older version as there is no magnet for the front of the iPad Air which some people complained about and perhaps the slot for the iPad when using the keyboard does not grip quite as well, but overall I believe that this is an improvement on the older version and I am glad that I bought it.

It is expensive, make no mistake but ultimately worth the expenditure as it is probably the best keyboard/cover on the market at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Keyboard for iPad Air, 4 Mar 2014
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've previously used the Logitech Ultrathin Keybaord Cover for my 3rd gen iPad and thought it was generally a great keyboard, one of the best depending on what you're looking for. When I bought an iPad Air I thought I'd check out Logitech once again.

The keyboard is pretty much identical to previous models except that it comes in Space Grey to match the colour of my iPad Air. One downside is to watch that this doesn't get scratched when you're typing as the Space Grey covering touches the surface that you're typing on. But as for the cover itself, it attaches via a magnetic hinge in much the same way as the Smart Cover does and protects the screen of your iPad. It's quite thin so doesn't really add any unnecessary bulk or weight to your iPad and is great for slipping into a bag when you need to take it with you.

Typing is great, the keys are well spaced and you get good feedback from the keys once pressed. There's a nice range of shortcut keys across the top of the keyboard for most commonly used functions such as cut, copy and paste, music playback controls, etc. It can feel a little strange tapping your iPad screen when using it with a keyboard and the added shortcut buttons just make it feel more natural.

The iPad itself slots into the cover via a groove which has magnet at the bottom to hold the iPad in place. It provides one single viewing angle and one only, presumably optimised based on various tests conducted by Logitech. Depending on where you're typing the angle can be perfect or it may need some adjusting which is where this cover falls down. If I'm typing on my lap then I feel like I need to adjust the viewing angle, if I'm in bed late at night then I tend to want the angle to be more upright. For the most part I can get by but it would be nice to have an adjustable viewing angle and I guess this is aimed at typing only at a desk for instance. I sometimes like to use the cover to hold my iPad for watching movies and for that the angle is no good in most cases.

But it's a good cover if you're after something of great quality and gives a good typing experience. It's well made, attaches to the iPad well and doesn't add bulk or weight too much. The battery should last you a good 6 months and I'll hopefully be able to see how that pans out over time. It's worth spending the money on if you don't mind the one and only viewing angle, that would be my only gripe with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally revolutionised how I use my iPad, 22 May 2014
I can't recommend this keyboard enough. It does everything you'd want it to do . It's sleek and slim and easy to use. But more importantly, it makes it possible to use your iPad TO DO ACTUAL WORK. It's turned a simple entertainment tablet into something I can actually use to do real work. I was considering buying a laptop (in addition to my iMac and iPad) so I could work outside the house. However, I thought I'd give this a go first and it's worked perfectly.

If you're on the fence, go for it! You'll love it - and you can always return it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Design, 12 Dec 2013
Logitech have been making this product for the previous iPad and the mini for some time. Reading the reviews I know this version has had some criticism over the previous versions based on build quality. I compared them side by side in John Lewis and could not tell any difference so ordered one for my iPad Air. The justification for getting this keyboard is really only for people who use their iPad for extensive emailing or for content creation. I am not a touch typist but would say that I can type immediately 95% as fast on this keyboard as on a full sized laptop version. With practice you could get to full speed. The keyboard is incredibly easy to pair to your iPad and holds the device securely at a perfect viewing angle and more importantly a perfect distance for touching the screen. Unlike other device specific keyboards I have had this is short on keyboard shortcuts for navigating so you will still need to touch the screen a lot. This is more an issue with iOS than with the keyboard as Apple have not designed in many options for keyboard manufacturers to use.

When used as a case this keyboard offers no real protection. I will use this in conjunction with a leather slip case designed for the iPad 1 which contains both devices. The other issue is your iPad needs to be "naked" to work with this keyboard so it will be exposed even when you are not using the keyboard. This is fine for me as I generally use only skins on my devices but if you have a SmartCase or a back casing on your iPad you will not be able to use this keyboard as intended.

Overall this is a great keyboard and it feels like it is the keyboard Apple would have designed if they offered one for sale. I can give it no higher praise than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for writers, 24 Mar 2014
P M Buchan "P M Buchan" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Light as a feather, with a battery that lasts and lasts and solid keys, anybody wanting to use their iPad for typing really needs a Logitech keyboard.

The buttons are cramped together, reflecting the fact that an iPad is smaller than the average keyboard, but their positioning is still intuitive enough to type quickly and effectively.

Carrying around a keyboard like this will absolutely transform the way that you use your iPad. My only complaint is that because the iPad itself is so much heavier than the keyboard, you need a decent flat surface to work on, otherwise the whole thing becomes a bit top-heavy. It still isn't ideal for using on the tight spaces of public transport (where I imagine a lightweight laptop would be more effective), but in terms of getting the most out of your iPad you really couldn't ask for more.

2.0 out of 5 stars worth it - less worth it, 3 Dec 2013
This works, is really easy to use, feels like a real keyboard, makes the ipad look like a mini laptop - very neat. My only complaint is that you cant keep the keyboard on and fold it back like a case, it has to be detached from the hinge during use, whether as ipad or with keyboard as in photo (you detach and then slot it into the groove, which holds it in position. And there is no way of putting a case on the ipad, so no corner protection. But then of course it wouldn't look like a mini MacBook Air. Otherwise, I am really very impressed and would recommend.

Update: there is no longer any magnetic hold when the cover is closed. Got a replacement and it was the same (also marked on arrival). I still love the keyboard, but for the cost I would expect there to be some reliable magnetic hold when out and about, as stated in the description. There isn't. It appears to be a common complaint.

And I can't find a charger, but this may be my fault. Impressive though that the original charge lasted this long!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but with drawbacks, 12 Mar 2014
It works beautifully as a keyboard for the iPad, but only in one position. It would be helpful if it could simply be raised and used rather than having to be detached and refitted with the screen so close to the keys. While it protects the screen when closed, it has its limitations as a cover owing to the above. There does not seem to be any form of case to cover them both and allow the iPad to be used just as a tablet without finding somewhere to put the keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable., 11 May 2014
I already had one of these for my old iPad2 and found it most useful. Both as a better keyboard than that of the iPad itself and as a protective cover when not in use. So when I treated myself to the new iPad5 Air I immediately bought it one of these keyboard covers. Highly recommended.