5.0 out of 5 stars Shoot to thrill!
After the first Iron Man movie my expectations for this film were high, it had amazing characters, great music, humour and style. All of which return in Iron Man 2 in abundance.

Published 4 months ago by FallenGrace

2.0 out of 5 stars Like the film, but why bother with a special edition!?
I will avoid reviewing the film here as some people do simply because its the product and not the film i want to comment on. I like the film enough to buy the DVD so that really should be enough in itself.

Published on 26 Oct. 2010 by C. J. Borrill-townsend

2.0 out of 5 stars Like the film, but why bother with a special edition!?, 26 Oct. 2010
C. J. Borrill-townsend "kipper23" (Lincolnshire, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews

Like many who have reviewed this already i bought the special edition for the fact it was the special edition and at least expected there to be a 'making of' feature on the one of the TWO discs... how mistaken i was. The previous films special edition, or Ultimate Edition as it was called, there is nearly four times as much extra stuff spread out over the two discs. In fact nearly all of what is stretched over this two disc 'special' could be placed on one disc.

I can't help but feel cheated in some respects and think that the creation of this edition was simply done to make people part with their cash for the promise of more... which sadly isn't there. The extra disc seems to literally be that, a disc added to the box to give the appearance of value for money as there is no difference between the standard editions movie disc and that of the specials!

The smart thing here, if you want to simply own the film, is to buy the cheaper, standard edition which is just movie disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoot to thrill!, 22 Jan. 2015
FallenGrace (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The story continues straight on from the first film with Tony Stark (Robert Dorwwney Jr) enjoying his fame as a superhero. Under the spotlight and pressure from the US government to hand over his suit while fighting declining health due to the suit Tony is attacked by Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke) known as Whiplash. Teaming up with Stark's industrial rival Justin Hammer ( Sam Rockwell) Vanko will do anything to bring down Stark and his legacy.

The first 40 minutes is almost non stop action with two great set pieces. The film then slows down a little for some more personal character moments before ramping up to an explosive finale. I loved the pacing and humour spread throughout. Robert Downey Jr was just born to play billionaire playboy Tony Stark but the rest of the cast are also excellent with props to Don Cheadle for taking over as Jim Rhodes from Terrance Howard. It also ties in with the rest of the accumulated Marvel TV universe introducing War Machine, Black Widow and Nick Fury all without feeling overwhelmed.

The visuals and special effects are stunning both in style and quality. The film looks excellent in HD and every detail from Stark hacking computers to him flying around in chases with giant mech suits look stunning and completely convincing swapping between costumes and computer generated effects.

I also loved the music, a great mixture of original orchestral themes, rock music by AC/DC among others. The soundtrack is great.

I own the triple play Blu-Ray of this film, though i've never watched the dvd or used the digital copy. Bizarrely it comes on two blu-ray discs with the feature film and commentary extras on one disc and the second disc has the rest of the features like making of videos, behind the scenes featurettes, deleted scenes etc. A great selection of extras.

So to sum up this film is yet another Marvel classic. Brilliant action fueled set pieces, genuine humour, stunning visuals, great music as well as linking on to bigger aspects of the Marvel universe.

Recommended.

+ Great set pieces.
+ Robert Downey Jr.
+ Stunning visuals.
+ Great music.
+ Decent selection of extras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man 2, 16 Dec. 2010
I really enjoyed the first film and had high expectations for this film, it has a great cast and bigger budget following the success of the first film...and although I enjoyed it I feel it lost a little of it's soul. I do recommend watching the film and I'm looking forward to the potential spin off's and sequals. I do strongly recommend buying the triple play, I do not yet have a blu-ray play or high def television and I'm planning on upgrading, so by buying the Triple play I can see the up to date films while building my blu-ray collection for the future.....and the cost between the DVD 2 disc version and this was less then £1.00. I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'MARVEL(ous) ENTERTAINMENT', 18 July 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
for sheer entertainment value the score must it's a '5' as a sequel a '4'
This time 'Iron-Man' (Robert Downey Jr) is under threat from a 'Russian' seeking revenge against 'Stark Industries'
You only have to look at the cast list to know top-line actors want involvement in this popular 'Marvel' characters movies.
Which includes - 'Gwyneth Paltrow' (Pepper Potts) 'Scarlett Johansson' (Natasha Romanoff) 'Mickey Rourke (Ivan Vanko)
and 'Samuel L Jackson' (Nick Fury) to name just a few of the great names on-board.
It's got plenty of great 'cgi' action sequences that are complimented by this format.
The film is a must-see for all 'Marvel Comic' fans along with those who just want ---top-line entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man Grows Stronger in His Second Outing, 28 April 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Iron Man 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I am one of the few people, it seems, who was only luke warm to the original Iron Man. So I wasn't that hot to see Iron Man 2 , but several friends wanted to go see it. I tagged along, and it turns out I'm glad I did.

It's been roughly six months since Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) revealed to the world that he is Iron Man. From the outside, things are looking up for him. He's created world peace since villains are afraid of Iron Man. And he's opening a year long expo devoted to showing off the latest and greatest in technology to make our lives better.

But all isn't wonderful. Tony is called before a Senate committee that pretty much demands he turns over his Iron Man suits. The element Tony uses to power the suits (and his replacement heart) is slowly killing him. And there's a man in Russia who is building his own suit to get his revenge on Tony. Will Tony survive any of this?

My biggest problem with the first movie was the Tony Stark character. He was a womanizing, arrogant, drunk. And those were his good qualities. Here, they've managed to tone it down. Oh, it's still there, especially in the first few scenes. But the story grounds Tony so much more, so I could relate to him.

There are actually several sub-plots going on here, and they keep things hopping. There was never time to get bored because we were always on to the next story. Yet everything was pieced together so well I was able to follow things perfectly. There are some plot holes, but I never even thought about them until after the movie was over. And I have to give them credit for bring everything together to a great climax.

Okay, so while I did enjoy the climax, I actually think my favorite action scene was earlier in the movie. The one involving the race cars. If you've seen the movie, you know what I am talking about. And if you haven't? I'm not going to spoil any more except to say it looks amazing.

The one thing the multiple plots did was cut down on the action again. There weren't too many of them. Only three really stand out in my mind. But, like I said earlier, I was entertained the entire time. And the effects that went into the scene we do have are absolutely amazing.

Also amazing was the cast. I was actually able to like Robert Downey, Jr. this time around. Gwyneth Paltrow as love interest Pepper Potts absolutely steals the show. I was glad to see more of her this time around. Scarlett Johansson is lots of fun as Natalie Rushman. Frankly, about the only annoying performance was Sam Rockwell as the head of a rival company. Yes, I think he was playing the part that way on purpose; it certainly appeared to be the way the character was written. But it still annoyed me.

I was confused about one thing, and my roommate brought the same point up as well. We both sure thought that Tony and Pepper had gotten together at the end of the first movie. This one acted like that hadn't happened. Since it's been two years since I saw the first one, I could be completely wrong here.

They are certainly setting things up for The Avengers movie they are planning for 2012. Several characters who will appear in that movie (and their own first) showed up here. I bet I missed several of them, too, since I am not a huge comic book guy. My friends were geeking out at all the references, however.

No, this movie isn't perfect. But Iron Man 2 is actually a nice step up from the first movie. If you want a fun superhero flick, this will do very nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Iron Thumbs Up!, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Iron Man 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Taking place six months after Iron Man, old shellhead is using his armor to maintain world peace and keep things right as rain for the world. Enter Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke), aka Whiplash, who has a vendetta against Tony Stark and wants to see him dead for the wrong he believed Tony did to his father.

Meanwhile, Tony’s dealing with issues of his own, namely that the very tool he’s using to keep himself alive—the arc reactor in his chest—is actually poisoning him, and time is quickly running out.

Can Iron Man defeat a foe hellbent on grinding him to dust while also saving his own life?

Iron Man 2 is a solid sequel. It’s not as smart as the first one, but it’s certainly not bad by any means. The idea of the arc reactor slowly killing Tony is brilliant. I mean, really, what do you do, right? Just wait it out? Unplug? Tell someone? Good stuff.

A lot of people gave this movie grief and I don’t understand why. You got superhero action, superhero struggle, relationship tension, introduction of a new hero—War Machine (Don Cheadle, who plays James Rhodes; the part was originally played by Terrence Howard in the first movie)—and a new villain with a simple but decent origin story. Adding to that you got the breadcrumb trail that will eventually lead into The Avengers. The cool part is this subplot—complete with appearances by Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson)—don’t detract from the main story. Of course, I won’t fail to mention Sam Rockwell as Justin Hammer, who’s an amazing actor and becomes whatever role he is assigned. I love that about him.

As before, Robert Downey Jr. continues to amaze me as Tony Stark. He is that guy. End of story. Never thought I’d like a self-absorbed hero, but he proved me wrong.

Anyway, back to the action: Iron Man 2 has got loads of it, right from Iron Man’s first encounter with Whiplash, to the big fight at the end where it takes Iron Man teaming up with War Machine to take out robots and a newly-armored Whiplash. What I liked was the realistic—as you can get, anyway—portrayal of what a suit of robot armor would most likely do and fight like if it was real. It was fluid, yet appropriately clunky and moved as such accordingly. The flight sequences were exciting, same with the weapons used.

What was also good was the humor. Aside from the here’s-how-I-pee-in-the-armor joke, which I found dumb, every other bit of joking around totally worked and still maintained that this was a serious movie with a serious hero fighting a serious villain.

What makes this third movie in Marvel’s Phase One plan great is that while it had its own self-contained story, it was part of the overall Avengers plotline. I loved how the two worked together but weren’t dependent on each other.

Do I watch this movie when I’m going through my super flicks in my DVD and Blu-ray collection? Every time.

A major iron thumbs up from me on this one.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel, excellent blu-ray., 29 Oct. 2010
A. Davis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am always nervous about sequels, but boy did this deliver.
The story builds on the original film whilst maintaining the humour and energy that was delivered with the original film.
Robert Downey Jr does a superb job of developing the Tony Stark character, whilst Don Cheadle and Mickey Rourke help elevate this film above the pedestrian!

I won't go into the story as many reviews deal with that, but let's cover the blu-ray disc. The picture quality is superb and the level of detail is very high, it's easy to forget that you are watching special effects. The sound was superb and really tested my home cinema system.
And as for the digital copy, this is good quality too, and when watched on my iPad looked very good.

I think the combination of blu-Ray, DVD and digital copy makes this disc set pretty good value.

All in all, if you enjoyed the first film or are a Marvel comics fan then I recommend you give this a go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man Two - The sequel. Is it better than Iron Man One?, 2 Aug. 2013
Well I think that Iron Man 2 feels single toned and noticeably lacks any real darkness that made the second sequels to Spider Man One and X-Men Two so successful. Whilst there is no real argument for this being necessary to make Iron Man Two soar the villains although played very well never really threaten nor does Tony Stark ever feel in danger. The film relies on Robert Downey Junior to deliver another stunning performance whilst it fails to make any real improvements with the CGI and some of the action remains unremarkable. The film is a more ambitious film but it fails to land the punches that made the first so good. Marvel have spent so much attention setting up the Avengers that the film makers seem to have settled on making Iron Man Two merely a good film instead of a great film. This is frustrating because it possesses all the ingredients to be truly great and its effort feels deliberate and arrogant. Unfair perhaps but for a film like this to end up not fulfilling its potential is a serious slap in the face to the audience who deserve and expected something spectacular. Three stars all round!

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man 2, 28 Jan. 2011
R. Thomas "unreadable" (S Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Iron Man 2 [DVD] (DVD)
A really enjoyable pop corn blockbuster of a film, plenty of action sequences and a good bit of Iron Man mythology for the fans. The story continues a few months on from the previous film and deals with the after effects of the technology keeping tony alive, the world knowing his secret identity and one or two villains who want a part of him.

Downey Jr is again on top form plus as well as the wise cracking Tony, we also see him as he starts to break down into the potential alcoholism fans will be aware of. As well as this more characters fans will be aware of such as Happy and Rhodey get a bit more screen time. Mickey Rourke plays the villain Whiplash who goes after Tony on the cheap and then gets some backing from Tony's corporate enemy Justin Hammer. Plus keep an eye out for Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury as they look to plug the forthcoming Avengers film - incidentally keep your eyes peeled for two Avengers other than Iron Man who appear in the film.

In short a good follow up, plenty of action, a good little plot and plenty to keep the fans happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag of a movie, 7 Sept. 2011
T. R. Alexander (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Iron Man 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Having revealed to the world that he is Iron Man, Tony Stark is revelling in his status as a superhero an is living his life as only a playboy billionaire can. Not everything is great however, as not only it the US government continually trying to get him to give them access to his technology but he is also being poisoned by the very thing that is keeping him alive. Complicating matters further is the Russian physicist Ivan Vanko who is looking for revenge against Stark for what his father did to Vanko's family.

This second `Iron Man' movie is a little hard for me to pin down. A lot of the time there are individual scenes in the movie that are better than anything the first film could offer but for some reason the whole thing never seems to gel together as well as it should. Part of the problem may that with Stark slowly dying, Vanko's revenge plot and the military trying to get their hands on the Stark's tech, it may be that the film has too many plot strands going on at one time.

The special effects for the film are just as good, if not better than those of the previous film and the soundtrack is also very good. The script could have probably done with a little work but this is more than made up for by the great action sequences. Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are both just as good as in the first film and Mickey Rourke is great a Ivan Vanko. Samuel L. Jackson is also brilliant as Nick Fury.

Overall, while this film isn't as good as its predecessor, or some of the other more recent Marvel films, it is still greatly entertaining and well worth four stars.

Iron Man 2 [DVD]
Iron Man 2 [DVD] by Jon Favreau (DVD - 2013)