3,157 Reviews
 (1,640)

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be real... and that's scary.
When Jamie and Kirsty move into their new flat, everything seems perfect. But not for long... Firefighters and pizza deliveries start to show up at their front door, and it becomes clear that their new neighbours are starting to play hoaxes on our loved up couple. Their tricks turn into genuine hostility, putting Jamie, Kirsty and their friends in danger. The police can't...
Published on 23 Mar. 2013 by O. Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilling story, a little lacking in the telling
There are some scary moments and the story is chilling, however the dialogue is rather irksome at times and the young couple's inaction in the light of such harassment is a little bewildering.
Published on 17 April 2013 by Lili

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magpies, 20 May 2013
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is very very readable, one of those books you really cannot put down. It's so normal, what happens could happen to anyone which is the scary thing, and makes me worry that the house next door to me is for sale!
Gripping from the beginning this is a fantastic read, with an ending I didn't expect and didn't really want, but can't have a happy ending every time. I would certainly read another book by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, excellent thriller, 14 May 2015
This review is from: The Magpies (Paperback)
The Magpies is an extremely gripping, fast paced read. I am a huge fan of Mark Edwards' solo work and also his collaborations with Louise Voss, they really are top of their game in the genre of psychological thrillers.

The prologue of The Magpies left me with chills just imagining why the person who lived in this apartment was going to such lengths to get away and it doesn't take too long once into the story to realise.

Sinister things begin to happen in quite mild forms, passive aggressive letters, hoaxes, then progressing to much more terrifying occurrences (I thought dead rats on the doorstep were one thing...) and sadly you witness this close couple's relationship tested to breaking point - and we all have different ways of coping with breaking points.

The plot is faultless and the authors notes afterwards really were extremely insightful (DO NOT READ them before you read the book - massive spoilers!)
We have recently had new neighbours and I may think carefully before inviting them round for coffee after reading this.

It really is an extremely good read - I charged through it in less than 24 hours and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book!!, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
It has taken me less than a day to read this book. I was totally hooked from the minute I started reading it and really wished this morning that I didn't have to go to work because I didn't want to put it down. Would definitely recommend it to anyone that loves a good thriller. Definitely worth 5 Stars. It's the first book I have read by this author but will most certainly not be the last. Well done Mark Edwards, loved it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An expertly crafted psychological novel, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
After many recommendations, I finally got around to reading this and was not disappointed. It tells the story of a young couple, Jamie and Kirsty who move into their first flat together - what is in all respects, their dream home. After a successful house warming party, the fire brigade turn up saying they had been called to their flat. it is clearly a hoax, and a confusing one at that but unbeknown to the couple, this is just the start of a spiralling descent into a hellish existence caused by what appears to be vindictive neighbours.

The story is crafted beautifully. It takes its time and builds up the tension perfectly as the crimes against our couple increase slowly in magnitude. There are parts towards the end that eerily echo Stephen King's 'Pet Sematary' as the overwhelming and crushing sense of helplessness on Jamie and Kirsty lead to drastic acts of revenge being planned.

One thing I liked about this book is the way that it (certainly for me) never fully revealed who was to blame for this devastating campaign until the end although we are ninety-nine percent sure, but throughout, I was wondering if I was being set up for some dramatic twist at the end. I will not reveal if there is one or not but the ending is superb and wonderfully realistic. Edwards breaks many of the conventions of this kind of book with his ending and I loved it.

Mark Edwards has not disappointed me yet with any of his books and each one I have read so far is completed in very few sittings. This was no exception.

3.0 out of 5 stars A book desperately in need of a twist, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Paperback)
I read this book on tenterhooks wondering what the twist would be. The fact that there wasn't one left me feeling very short changed. Whilst the book is still very readable (i finished it within 24 hours), we really should have found out more about the past and motivations of the Newton family. I also find that Mark has a tendency to portray his male protagonists as very weak, soppy individuals, obsessed with telling their girlfriends how much they love them and how beautiful they are. The lead here, Jamie, is portrayed as such a sap that i found it difficult to root for him, no matter how evil his tormentors were. The ending was also incredibly melancholic to the point that i felt genuinely depressed. As i say though, it's a good read and i'd still recommend the book and the author to anyone who likes psychological thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 April 2013
Mary T. Thomas (Vancouver Island) - See all my reviews
After reading Marks previous books co-written with Louise Voss I eagerly awaited this solo effort. I was not disappointed. I was so enthralled by this book. It is hard to believe than anyone could be so manipulative and so conniving. After personally living next to inconsiderate and thoroughly unpleasant neighbours I empathised totally. When your home is no longer your haven and you do not wish to spend time there it is so stressful. I really felt that Mark got the balance of fear and loathing that Jaime and Kirsty felt towards their neighbours was just perfect.Thoroughly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish i hadnt bothered, 12 May 2013
C. Henderson "doctorcheech" (glasgow, scotland) - See all my reviews
A poor story with 2 very annoying central characters that i couldnt relate to and deserved everything they got. But the worst aspect of this book was the cringworthy description of the sex scenes- honestly there was no need. I really regret having wasted my time reading this

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down absolutely loved it..I read a lot of psychological thrillers and this is one of the best I've read in years, I find a lot of books really pad the story out, what i liked about this book was it was all killer and no filler as they say, I also enjoyed the way it was written, it was an easy read that was like listening to a friend tell a story (a terrible one at that!) I've read some reviews that say they weren't happy with the ending, I thought the ending was great and made the book seem more real, it was a refreshing change from they all lived happily ever after...Can't recommend this book highly enough, a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars dodgy neighbours, 9 May 2013
Having suffered from dodgy neighbours myself I could really empathise with the feelings of frustration and helplessness. I did feel that Jamie and Kirsty were just too naive but I also appreciate that being in that position you tend to swing between wanting to take some positive action and total disbelief that this is happeneing at all. the response from the police was totally believable

It's an easy read and fairly cracks along, although there were one or two places where I knew what was going to happen next and started to skim-read, but the book is badly let down by the number of typos which I found a huge distraction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow and without point, 31 May 2013
Ms. L. Kelly "linzik64" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This book starts out well. The idea of exceptionally sinister and nasty neighbours is a good one but unfortunatey, the main characters are so shallow and stereotypically portrayed I wasn't sure if the author was having a laugh. Women in this book are fairly pathetic and one dimensional, it seems as though the author has either been exposed to few females or is just plain sexist or perhaps he just wanted really boring characters. There are some bizarrely indepth sex scenes that seemed to be a pointless and frankly gross foray into the authors fantasy world. The story jumps around and at times stagnates. In the end, the characters are so irritating you really couldn't care less what happens to them..The ending was flat and an total anti climax.

The Magpies