2,288 Reviews
 (1,130)

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be real... and that's scary.
Published 17 months ago by O. Reynolds

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilling story, a little lacking in the telling
There are some scary moments and the story is chilling, however the dialogue is rather irksome at times and the young couple's inaction in the light of such harassment is a little bewildering.
Published 16 months ago by Lili

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be real... and that's scary., 23 Mar 2013
O. Reynolds - See all my reviews
When Jamie and Kirsty move into their new flat, everything seems perfect. But not for long... Firefighters and pizza deliveries start to show up at their front door, and it becomes clear that their new neighbours are starting to play hoaxes on our loved up couple. Their tricks turn into genuine hostility, putting Jamie, Kirsty and their friends in danger. The police can't help, and Jamie starts to question not only his sanity, but how far he is willing to go to stop their neighbours from hell. This is a brilliant solo debut from Mark Edwards- forget zombies and werewolves, The Magpies is a seriously creepy novel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilling story, a little lacking in the telling, 17 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 27 April 2013
I was recommended this book by a friend, I downloaded it and started reading on a long train journey. The journey flew by and I couldn't put it down, I needed to know what happened!

The story is creepy in parts, and the really scary thing is that it could happen in real life! I enjoyed the style of writing and felt the story flowed well.

I would recommend this book if you are looking for a psychological thriller that you will want to finish in one sitting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody needs good neighbours..., 22 Mar 2013
The novel opens with the seemingly idyllic lives of Jamie, a software engineer and Kirsty, a paediatric nurse; a young couple who are very much in love and starting out in their first home together - the `perfect' flat in North London, where they plan to start a family, get married and generally be blissfully happy... But this is a psychological thriller, so there's not much chance of any of that! With 3 sets of 'suspicious' neighbours it doesn't take long before the terror starts. It's innocuous at first. Hoax pizza deliveries, targeted junk mail, unwanted parcels. Then it becomes far more sinister...

This is a fast-paced read with excellent characterisation. It was clear from the outset that the happy couple's lives were about to be thrown into turmoil, and the way it was all revealed was subtle and creepy enough to keep the feeling of dread trickling throughout.

Anyone who has ever had a dodgy neighbour will really relate to this book! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 April 2013
Mary T. Thomas (Vancouver Island) - See all my reviews
After reading Marks previous books co-written with Louise Voss I eagerly awaited this solo effort. I was not disappointed. I was so enthralled by this book. It is hard to believe than anyone could be so manipulative and so conniving. After personally living next to inconsiderate and thoroughly unpleasant neighbours I empathised totally. When your home is no longer your haven and you do not wish to spend time there it is so stressful. I really felt that Mark got the balance of fear and loathing that Jaime and Kirsty felt towards their neighbours was just perfect.Thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put down..., 29 April 2013
This is a great book.. I really hated it when my train journey into work came to an end and I had to wait all day before I could continue on the way home..!!
I agree, it's like a modern day Rosemary's Baby but I preferred this because it was so much more believable.. This could happen..! I was freaked out by the spiders and convinced I would find one in my bath later that night.. (I didn't I'm glad to say)
I tried to guess the outcome and got it completely wrong. I was sad and suprised at the ending. The only thing that I was a bit confused about was why did Paul change so much? I thought it was going to come out that Chris had been turning him against Jamie, Kirsty and Heather.
I have never felt compelled to write a book review before, and I have read thousands over the years.. (but then I have never got so involved in the plot and the characters)
Think I have driven all my family and friends mad telling them how good this book is...!
I am now on a mission to find a book just as gripping.. I have this void to fill !
Obviously, I would recommend this book to everyone !

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Needs Good Neighbours..., 1 April 2013
Fresh from his success as part of an ace writing duo with Louise Voss, Mark Edwards goes solo with new release 'The Magpies'. Billed as a psychological thriller which raises questions about the depths of despair your neighbours can take you, Edwards manages to provide so much more than just another 'nasty neighbour' story. Creating characters you really feel for from the off, it is the incredible amount of dread which drips off the page which raises this book above its counterparts.

Deftly skilled and excellently plotted 'The Magpies' begins almost sedately, with our heroes Kirsty and Jamie moving into their dream flat, only for that dream to be slowly torn apart across the story. The normality of their lives is in stark contrast to what comes next, with the introduction of Lucy and Chris Newton, their downstairs neighbours. With each day comes just a little more horror, creeping into the narrative forcing you to read on. What Kirsty and Jamie go through is horrendous, and you'll be turning the pages (or clicking that button on your kindle!) quicker and quicker as you reach the horrifying ending.

Absorbing and frighteningly all too real for those who have experienced the nightmare of bad neighbours, 'The Magpies' is a fantastic story, which really shows off the versatility of Edwards. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but wanted more, 12 April 2013
I enjoyed this book and thought the main young couple characters were believable. However really wanted more intrigue and to be more uncertain of the outcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's hope there's no Lucy or Chris' living next door to you!, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
I never feel compelled to review books however even weeks after finishing this book I cannot stop thinking about it. When I read the synopsis I wasn't blown away but looks can be deceiving. This is a brilliant book which comes with a chilling realisation that Jamie and Kirsty's story could happen to anybody and probably has happened to many. The ending is less than predictable and certainly wasn't the fairytale ending that many of these sorts of books finish on which only adds to the book's appeal. The characters are well developed and so you can really empathise with Kirsty and Jamie.as they struggle with some truly psycho neighbours.. Not something to read if you're already weary of your own neighbours but an absolutely thrilling read!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magpies, 20 May 2013
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is very very readable, one of those books you really cannot put down. It's so normal, what happens could happen to anyone which is the scary thing, and makes me worry that the house next door to me is for sale!
Gripping from the beginning this is a fantastic read, with an ending I didn't expect and didn't really want, but can't have a happy ending every time. I would certainly read another book by the author.

The Magpies