4.0 out of 5 stars Reflections of life - "it's funny cos it's true"
I read this book on a friends recommendation and have been hooked to the series since. It is a funny story with great artwork. I especially love the artist's style because I think his anime people look a lot more human than in many other series: for example, Sakura is not a typically cute, girly anime girl.
Like many other mangas, this is a character-based story and...
Published on 26 Feb. 2005 by orangepeeler

2.0 out of 5 stars i don't understand the hype
when first reading naruto, i initially had a large amount of hype. however, when reading i found the plot immensely dull, the characters annoying and the humour grating.Maybe it improves with each successive volume, but i will not be reading anymore
Published 20 months ago by JoeyB

4.0 out of 5 stars Reflections of life - "it's funny cos it's true", 26 Feb. 2005
Like many other mangas, this is a character-based story and Kishimoto deals with real life issues like loneliness - Naruto is the nightmare of every school teacher, trying any stupid things just to get people to pay attention to him. And I think everybody has an Inner Sakura - that attitude voice inside of you that yells what you don't dare to say.
Although this is shonen, both boys and girls will enjoy it - I know 'cos I'm a girl! I would reccommend it to people who enjoy manga with decent art, characters everyone can empathise with and a great plot. I'm knocking off one star because some of the fight scenes are too long and the method of storytelling is far from flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great manga, but..., 27 April 2005
Naruto is one of the best mangas I've read in a long time. It has great fight scenes, amazing ninjitsus (Ninja magic/techniques), pleasingly bizzare jokes, and like most good mangas, fasinating and compelling characters. One of the best things about this series is the way that practically every person who is given a name is fleshed out greatly, so seeming 'backround'characters can become as important to you as the main ones.
This leads me on to my 'but...' in the title. The reason why all the characters are so interesting is that there is a lot of time spent on them, meaning that Naruto is a VERY long series, over 28 volumes and with no signs of stopping. This is, of course, a good thing in many ways. First of all it allows the plot to become epic, with many twists and turns. Also, it lets you really get to know for and care about the people involved. There is one major downside to this though, a downside shared with many other manga 'epics' like Rounarai Kenshin and InuYasha. Cost.
Naruto volumes sell at about £5 each over Amazon, a very, very good price as it happens, but 28 x £5 is a much bigger number, well over £100, and remember that its still going strong.
In the end though, Naruto is one of the best mangas around and you will love every second of it, but beware that it is quite a committment if you intend to finish the whole series. If you do stick with it, however, I'm sure you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A recreation of Life, 2 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
This book is one of the absolute epitomes of manga. the artwork is superb, the storyline has a great deal of promise, and the characters being no more than normal people (aside from their ability to perform ninjutsu) with normal fears, normal hates, normal wants, all brought out in a striking display that no live drama flic could ever reproduce. This is not pure angst and moral issues, however, as, true to life, there are many bright moments for even the darkest of souls which made me roll with laughter. I recommend this book and any that come after it to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naruto Volume 1 (The Beginning of Young Ninja's Journey!), 13 April 2015
The very first manga I ever read, and still reading, Naruto is an absolute masterpiece, popular not just in Japan but in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada and many other countries, selling over 200 million copies worldwide! With good reason too; this manga sports stunning art styles, cinematic visuals, powerful dialogue & writing with twists at every turn and supreme characterization, there is a character everybody can relate too! Story: 12 years ago, Konohagakure (The Village Hidden in the Leaves) was attacked by a gargantuan demon fox with 9 tails. The ninja corps were dispatched to try and pin it down but to no avail. Then Konohagakure's leader, the Fourth Hokage (Fire Shadow), sacrificed his life to seal the demon fox's spirit into a newborn baby. Present day: the baby has now grown up into Naruto Uzumaki, ninja flunky! He has failed his ninja exams 3 times already and is the scorn of the village but that doesn't matter to him because he is set on achieving his dream: to become the greatest Hokage of Konohagakure and earn the respect of the people. With his rival and friend Sasuke, his love interest with a short temper Sakura and his mysterious yet cool Master Kakashi, Naruto sets out on his journey to becoming a ninja! Once you pick up the first volume, you will never want to put it back down! At the end of each chapter, you crave more, you fear for the heroes, you marvel at the villains, you'll laugh, you'll weep, this manga will bring out the emotion in you...BELIEVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ninja Goodness, 17 Aug. 2003
Naruto is the story of a nine tailed fox demon that has been bound in to the form of a young boy by a clan of ninja in japan. The boy Naruto,now grown up is training (hard!) to become a fully fledged ninja and reach his goal of becoming head of the ninja clan! Ok i admit i am alittle bias, i have a major love for all things ninja ;) BUT this book is a fantastic manga. The characters are well thought out and fleshed out. The action is perfect. It has friendship, love, danger and a great story line so why are you still reading this? go buy! enjoy!:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Jun. 2011
A. Eismont (Norway, Oslo) - See all my reviews
This is one of the top 3 mangas that I love. This first volume pretty much establishes the 4 main character of this entire series, Sasuke, Kakashi, Sakura and ofc, Naruto. It folllows a ninja who wants to become the Hokage (basically a leader of the village, usually the most powerful one in terms of strength and knowledge). This ninja world is exciting, because they use seals to create things out of this world, like clones, shoot fire and so forth.

Having read more than 51 volumes, I can say that this manga improves. In the beginning Naruto is cocky and arrogant, constantly talking about being the Hokage while he doesn't have any real talent to boast off to begin with, and constantly picks fights with characters out of his league. But he matures, he meets people that help him grow, and he becomes more likable for me. It has become truly epic in my eyes, showing off some of the best manga battles ever. It becomes more than just a ninja going on missions, it becomes a battle for the fate of the world. And I'm a sucker for those, for the stakes are always higher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great manga series to read., 17 July 2011
First off I did start with the Anime than reading the manga. But there are a few slight differences from reading and watching. Now I must admit I wasn't going to bother read the series after watching but when I finished part 1 of the anime and was waiting for part 2 of the story to be released on dvd, I bought vol.28, where part 2 of the story kicks off and I got hooked on buying the manga as well as watching the series. So if you have or have not watched the anime and would like to get in to this series, I strongly recommend picking this up but bare in mind the manga has gone past 50+ volumes so remember this may make a dent in your wallet but it's worth it as the story is amazing. Even tho I started off with reading part 2 and then got interested on how the manga was from part 1 of the story, I don't regret starting to buying these manga. It's even one of my first series of manga I ever bought and since then I have really gotten into manga as well as Anime and bought more different series of manga. But this series is my best so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally cool, 8 Aug. 2007
A. Weaver "Thing Witch" (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
Naruto is a really great manga that follows the training of three wanna be master ninjas. There's the mischievous Naruto, who is obviously the star of the story; the girl he has a crush on (but who hates him), Sakura; Sasuke, who is constantly being obsessed over by Sakura; and then Kakashi who is their teacher.

I've only read the first volume, hence the reason I'm reviewing it, so this is really more a first impressions kind of review rather than anything that'll go into any degree of depth. So far I think I would definitely have to agree with the general trend of positive reviews being posted here; this manga is totally awesome so far! I think the artwork, while simple, is great; the dialogue funny and pretty good for a shonen jump; and the authors notes provide a first hand insight into the making of the manga. The story line, while still in its infancy, is completely intriguing and has gotten me hooked from the beginning.

If you are worried that this is gonna be a little too immature for you then it might just be. However, if you are the kind of person who doesn't give a c*** about how mature you are, then buy this right now. Chances are you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A catchy, fast paced read., 17 Mar. 2015
I found out about Naruto more by chance than anything. Having read the reviews I decided to buy the first volume and see what it was all about. It's what I would consider a catchy, fast paced read that's very difficult to put down. I found it to be exciting from the first page right up until the last and now I'm patiently waiting for volume two to turn up through my letterbox. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could love it...BUT, 12 Mar. 2011
I wish I could Love this manga like I want too but the thing is... They changed the damn names!
Nothing is JUTSU, the SEXY JUTSU is the NINJA CENTEFOLD, the SHADOWCLONE JUSTSU is DOPPLEGANGER.
Why did they do this?
I <3 the Manga with alot of the origonal japanese in the text, most of its all in english now, just the layout is japanese