5.0 out of 5 stars Simply incredible
Published 16 months ago by Honestdan

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera freezes
Published 13 months ago by Michael Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply incredible, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: GoPro HERO3+ BLACK Edition - Camcorder - (12MP, WiFi) (Electronics)
I did loads of research before buying this because of the cost. The 2 things that slightly concerned me were the battery life and the reported lens problems. Firstly, if you get one, you'll be amazed by the power this little camera has. The resolution and options for photo and video capture are remarkable. Your main problem is going to be that you'll constantly be trying to think of how you'll mount it to the next thing ( thankfully there are plenty of mounts to enable you to do this ). It's brilliant fun and you'll find that you will actively start to do activities just to see how well it copes.
So, to my two main issues. Apparently the lens issue has been completely resolved now and the focus on the one I received is perfect, whether you're up close and personal or filming landscapes. Secondly, I have to admit that I've already had excursions where the battery has run out just after I've been using it. This was on max resolution with wifi on so there are ways of lengthening it's overall life. To be frank, for a camera this size with the amount of power it churns out, I'm very impressed with the battery life. It will last over 2 hours and you can eek out more using tips from the website.
There are 100s of positives to this unit and I struggle to find any negatives.
Once you buy one join the GoPro community on their website and watch out for tips and tricks aswell as examples of how theyre used which will soon influence the way you film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better battery life, problems with the lens for some **Update 27/11**, 24 Oct. 2013
Dabbler (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is just a brief heads up for people looking to purchase this product. Product now 4 Stars with the new Update (see below)

I reviewed the GoPro 3 when it came out and complained about the battery life, I'm happy to say with the new battery and Wifi hardware in this camera you get a much better recording time. Up to about 110% longer in some modes (30% more in others). The biggest gain to be had is when you are using Wifi, with it recording 1080 50fps and Protune on you can now record for 1 Hr 13mins as opposed to 30mins on the previous camera.

However there is a big issue with the lens on some of the cameras, the one I had for testing was focused as about 2 feet (60cms) as a result anything further away looks a bit soft. GoPro are aware of this and are looking at the problem, however if you get a camera with 0913 in the serial number (digits 6-9) you will probably have this issue.

There does also seem to be buffering on the video output over wifi, the latency is better but this means that the output is not as smooth, which might be important for some. I'll report more once I get a camera without the focus problem.

My advice, hold off on buying one for the moment unless you can guarantee you'll get one without the focus problem (or you don't mind)

**Update, GoPro now have cameras with the fix available (27/11), I've had a look and they have improved things with regards to focus. Also to note the colour accuracy of the 3+ is better than the 3. If using Protune Mode please be aware that your pictures may look a little soft, this is deliberate as sharpness can be added later in post production if required. ProTune is designed to give the most accurate pictures with the most latitude for adjusting later. There is buffering on the Wifi Output which has the effect of making it look quite juddery, it seems to spit out 6 frames at a time, pause briefly and then do the next 6. Some people won't mind and it seems to be the price you pay for better battery life .**

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera freezes, 20 Jun. 2014
I have used this camera for diving and when it worked it was excellent, however when I installed the upgraded software last month (May 2014) the camera froze and would not function at all. I looked on youtube and there were lots of customers with the same problem. The upgraded software lets you transfer all of your footage to your iphone wirelessly and you can store it there or upload to facebook etc. All in all its a great camera, light compact and good playback. I would recommend this camera but the only problem I had was it freezing. I am waiting to have it repaired by gopro which is in the usa so might wait long enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very flaky product - when flakiness and unrealiability are the last thing you need, 3 Sept. 2014
Nadja von Massow "nadworks" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Packed up after less than 2 months and hardly any usage. Froze and would't turn on anymore. Various suggested fixed were tried and didn't work. About to send it back to the manufacturer after noticing that hundreds of people across the web had been reporting this ssue for a couple of years. Way to go GoPro - quite literally!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 4K action camera that provides fantastically looking sharp pictures and videos, full of features, 8 July 2015
I received GoPro HERO3+ camera to use it for few days to be able to write review and in general this is best camera you can get for your money.

First of all, it's full of feature that people who are involved in sports or some adventurous discipline will especially appreciate, and with its view field of 170° or 120° enables even to record 4K video at 15 frames per second.

Second, this camera comparing to its previous models and its competition as well, in this price category, regardless of whether it's day or night shooting, is way ahead providing fantastically looking sharp pictures and videos.

Its design wasn't changed a lot, besides it's a bit thinner and lighter, being waterproof and having locking mechanism that is better than in previous models.

The user will have ability to use its mini USB and Micro HDMI ports, the 3.5mm microphone jack is missing, although adapter cable can be additionally bought.
Also the media format has changed, instead of normal SD cards, this new camera edition is using Micro SD cards, with capacity up to the 64GB.

Its operation is still the simplest possible, having only three buttons, one for start/stop shooting, second for settings and menu navigation and the last one for turning Wi-Fi on/off.

It would need lot of space to describe all of its shooting settings, but most important user can choose between 4 shooting modes: Movie, Timelapse, Burst and Still.

Its only drawback is battery life that I was able to use only for about 90 minutes recording at 1080p resolution that is a bit or even much lower than competition.
Therefore purchasing of additional batteries and Battery BakPak is recommended.

GoPro HERO3+ is great action camera, probably the best one ever made, perfect for people who need device that will record their adventurous events.
Therefore I can fully recommend it to all such people taking into account its price and need for additional batteries that still don't reduce the overall excellent impression.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid until they resolve the focus problem, 19 Nov. 2013
I bought one from the UK a couple of weeks ago, I was assured by the supplier, (not Amazon), that it was received the day before from their wholesaler and was the latest issue without the focus problem.

When it arrived it has an 0813 serial number. which from the US website forums also potentially has the problem.
Mine is really very sharp & clear focus at 50cm from the lens gradually out of focus from there. Not a lot of use to me as I bought it to use with a quadrocopter for aerial property photos.

Seems they have set it up for those who want to take arms length "Selfies" of their own face in various situations at the expense of the rest of us. You have to wonder what percentage of their customer base this represents.
Not a lot I would think as most of the videos on their Twitter page are action shots, presumably not taken with the 3+ as they are generally in reasonable focus.

There is also talk on the US forums of people "doing the Focus Mod" along with pic's of the lens cover being forcibly removed with a large pair of pliers - Drastic or what !

At the price they charge for this I don't think it is unreasonable to expect at least software autofocus !

IMHO GoPro have really shot themselves in the foot here.

************** EDIT ******************
I contacted GoPro who told me to clean the lens and asked for a photo illustrating the problem. So I set one up using a 1 metre rule which clearly demonstrated that at the centre point of the depth of field the fixed focus point was only 30.15cm / 11.87 inches from the lens. Far worse than I thought! to be fair everything was super sharp at this point (as it should be).

I questioned this ridiculously short focus distance with them and their reaction was - I quote;

Thank you for providing the photo to help verify the image quality. I was able to review the image and it is up to par with what the customer should expect from the use of our cameras.
(and) The camera was designed to give you a close up view of what the user is doing. The camera was not designed to zoom in and out to take video and pictures from far lengths. - (I assume by zoom they mean crop & enlarge here)

I find this annoying as I made a point of querying with them before buying exactly what I wanted it for. Their reaction at that time was;

GoPro has designed the HERO3+ with a new lens to improve focus and sharpness for both video and photos. The new camera is optimized for improved image clarity at all focal ranges - edges, center, close and distance. If a customer is experiencing loss of clarity or focus at a distance, this is not an expected outcome. It's possible that there may have been an issue with the production of that particular camera or that a camera software update is needed. We will troubleshoot the problem with the customer according to the specific issue that is being experienced and find a resolution. (Clearly not the case!)

Make up your own mind before you buy - me? - I've now got an expensive paperweight.

I subsequently bought a Mobius action cam for my quad. Lighter with far superior image quality and under £60

2.0 out of 5 stars the GoPro is good though but I am just extremely disappointed because the ..., 4 Sept. 2014
Cheap quality for the housing. The black clip (plastic) on the top to close the back door broke with the waterproof back door after 3 uses (and I have been very delicate with my new toy), as a results, I couldn't use it on my second day of holiday!
the GoPro is good though but I am just extremely disappointed because the diving backdoor is probably to thick or difficult to close for the system to work.
As I can't contact the seller for other than the delivery, I thought I would share my bad experience, especially because the any GoPro accessorizes are quite expensive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed. Had too many issues of freezing and malfunctioning, 9 Oct. 2014
Disappointed. Had too many issues of freezing and malfunctioning, finally managed to get an exchange done by GoPro but the process itself has been disappointing and compares very negatively versus the Amazon exchange method. Communicating with GoPro customer services has been a big headache. Yet to receive the replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera and prompt delivery!, 26 Aug. 2014
Happy with the product, does and is what its supposed to be, was worried because i saw a lot of talk in the reviews about serial number being removed and this voiding warranty( something to do with parallel importing ) but in the case of my go pro its legit and also saved me a fair few quid, dont be discouraged ! buy now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips, 26 Aug. 2014
Haven't regretted buying this once. Some quick tips for you if you're considering your first gopro though. Cheap mounts are available as an alternative to the gopro accessories. They are all generally as good in my opinion. Buy some extra batteries and an external charger too, you'll need them at some point. Some memory cards aren't advised with this camera, look on the gopro webiste at the ones they sell as these work best. You need a class 10, high write speed card for best use. Lower speed cards will appear to work at first but the footage will be jumpy and the camera often just stops filming seconds into the clip. I suspect some of the bad reviews are people using cheap cards rather than anything wrong with the camera itself. Get a decent capacity too. 32gb is a good minimum if you're out for a day or 2 of occasional filming. For a week of skiing I used up near 100gb filming ~4-6 hours of footage. Without a viewfinder you will get the best results by filming lots and editing just the best bits in. Expect to spend about half/whole of the camera cost on mounts and cards if you don't already have them. Underwater use: I took the 40m rated dive housing to 47m on one dive and it worked great. Normal recreational diving won't exceed this really so most people won't need the separate dive housing. If there is a risk the camera will shake then use the rubber gopro locking plug (I need it for skiing, speedflying, cycling etc). The wifi mode drains battery life. Use a camera tether: mounts break and headstraps fall off. I've chased and recovered after 2 separate cameras that people have dropped while diving and had a friend lose one during a speedflying crash where the mount cracked. I use fishing wire as a cheap tether. If you're underwater use a brightly coloured float attachment so it doesn't sink. The quality difference between earlier gopros and the black is noticeable. I couldn't see this when I first bought it as youtube/internet clips are often poorly streamed. Using friends footage from earlier models in edits I've made shows a noticeable difference in image quality. Don't let the camera distract you too much or detract from your enjoyment of what you're meant to be doing!