5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!
I bought this primarily for the 3D version although I am a fan of Dr. Who as well.
First the Doctor, I am old school Dr. Who harking back to William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton in the sixties.
I have been a little disappointed by recent Who shows with young dynamic Dr's that can win every situation with a flick of their
sonic screwdrivers.
However...
Published 9 months ago by S. Broadbent

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but blu ray has sound issues.
Published 19 months ago by Sean Brady

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 23 Sept. 2014
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
sonic screwdrivers.
However this episode was exceptional, worthy of the anniversary edition, decent story, plenty of good humour and some great performances. I am excited by the prospect of Peter Capaldi coming next.
Then there is the matter of the 3D version.
Outstanding, this is amongst the very best 3D discs I now own, top quality from a top quality producer, the BBC.
If you are like me both a Dr. Who fan and a lover of 3D, then you must buy this, you'll watch it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler Alert!, 29 Nov. 2013
Very rarely in life when something is hyped up so much for such a lengthy period of time can it actually deliver, in fact it's more likely the case that the lower your expectations the more chance you are going to be pleasantly surprised. Given the diverse history of Doctor Who, the plethora of script writers, the myriad of different characters who played the role (often poles apart) whoever was going to be given the task of writing the 50th Anniversary Special was on a hiding to nothing. So hats off to Mr Moffat on a truly stupendous roller coaster ride of an episode in the life of the most brilliant sci-fi series ever to grace this planet. It's not without it's faults & it was never going to please everybody but I for one was delighted to have some of the gaps filled in with the mini prequel showing Paul McGann's regeneration (included in this set) & John Hurt's regeneration in the show itself. The best kept secret of the surprise cameo appearances of the 13th Doctor & Tom Baker at the end was a stroke of genius. Yes, it would have been great to see Christopher Eccleston reprise his role but he has always made it abundantly clear he was never a fan of Doctor Who, this was an acting job he did with great relish eight years ago & he politely declined to take any part in a celebration of a show he never watched as a child. My other regret is this wasn't given the full movie treatment & a timing to match. I truly believe it would of benefited greatly if it was closer to a two hour affair as the plot did seem rushed at points & certain characters would have benefited for having their roles fleshed out. There, I hope I have managed to lower your expectations just a little if you haven't already seen it so you can enjoy it for what it is ... a love letter from a fan to Doctor who. Here's to the next 50 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars McGann Alert!!, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [DVD] (DVD)
The show itself is awesome, with something for Who fans of all eras. The only glitch I could see was that UNIT somehow had a photo of Kamelion. Confiscated from Tegan during debriefing perhaps..

"Would've like more extras" says a reviewer on this page.. When too much is not enough! This DVD features one of the most important extras on ANY Doc DVD... A mini story featuring the elusive Eighth Doctor!

Could it be a precursor to a STAND ALONE series???

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Gallifrey Falls...No More!' - Celebrating 50 Years of 'Doctor Who', 24 Jan. 2014
23rd November 2013

It's strange to think how much time has passed since that very day. We've had the 50th anniversary. It's come and gone. So much had happened in the lead up to that special day in the history of 'Doctor Who'. I was in Chichester for the weekend when I watched what was on that night.

Before I talk about 'The Day of the Doctor', have a look at this.

'THE NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR'
Watch this before you watch 'The Day of the Doctor'. This is a terrific six-minute special prequel that I watched again and again featuring Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor since he did the 'The TV Movie'. It features him regenerating into a young-looking John Hurt as the War Doctor.

The next story for the War Doctor is 'Engines of War'.

'THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR'
So, did I enjoy 'The Day of the Doctor'? Yes I did, on some level. But if I was honest, I enjoyed 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot' by Peter Davison more than I enjoyed this one.

This story celebrates the new series whereas the Big Finish anniversary story 'The Light at the End' celebrated the classic series. It's a shame as I wanted all the Doctor and companions in this.

I like how the story opens with the original William Hartnell 1963 titles and music. We have the opening shot of a policeman at 76 Totter's Lane and Coal Hill School matching 'An Unearthly Child'.

The story is about the Eleventh Doctor and Clara taken to the International London Museum. They solve a mystery involving a Time Lord 3D painting and a meeting with the Tenth and War Doctors.

I enjoyed Matt Smith as the Doctor. I've grown to like him and he has improved for me over the years. I love his relationship with Clara and he gets to wear his fez. I like it when he meets the Tenth Doctor and the two work well together and seem to be like brothers.

I was so pleased to see David Tennant return as the Tenth Doctor, as he's one of my favourite Doctors. It's like David has never been away; as he has a flirtatious relationship with Queen Elizabeth I and I like it when he meets Matt's Doctor and the two get on with each other like brothers.

I love Jenna Coleman as Clara. She's so lovely and it's great she's no longer the 'impossible girl' as it's a relief to have her as a clear character and a good friend to the Doctor. I love the scenes she has with Matt Smith and gets to have her own voice in the 50th anniversary episode.

Billie Piper returns as well. But she's not playing Rose Tyler I'm afraid. Here she plays 'the Moment', a weapon of mass destruction that the War Doctor steals. She takes the form of Rose and challenges the War Doctor in the decision he makes to blow up Gallifrey in the Time War.

The big guest star is John Hurt as the War Doctor. It turns out John Hurt is the 8½ Doctor between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston; and is the Doctor who fought in the Time War. John is engaging, but I would have liked Christopher Eccelston to be in this as he was originally meant to be.

The Daleks appear in this as they fight and exterminate the Gallifreyans in the Time War. We also have the return of the Zygons, shape-shifting monsters who appeared in 'Terror of the Zygons'.

The guest cast includes Joanna Page as Queen Elizabeth I; Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart (the Brigadier's daughter) and Ingrid Oliver as Osgord, who works for Kate Stewart in U.N.I.T.

A highlight for me was the Black Archive when we get to see U.N.I.T. photos of all the Doctor's companions on display both classic and new. There was a lovely photo of Nyssa (Sarah Sutton).

In the end, all the Doctors appear to save Gallifrey. This was a nice gesture, but I felt disappointed as I didn't feel the classic Doctors appeared in this as they were cameos mostly from archive footage.

Tom Baker appears, not as the Fourth Doctor but as the Curator of the London Museum. It's great to see him in this 50th anniversary episode of 'Doctor Who' and he has a nice scene with Matt Smith.

The episode ends with a dream sequence with all the Doctors standing on a cloud. It's a nice way to end the episode, even though I could tell the Doctors weren't the real actors with CGI make-up.

After enjoying 'The Day of the Doctor', I watched the BBC Three Live After Party featuring many of the Doctors and companions. It was rather rushed and a poorly organised programme, but I was glad to see the companions including Sarah Sutton who put a smile on my face.

After that, I enjoyed watching 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot' by Peter Davison, which you can now watch in the 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition DVD. This made the 50th anniversary for me as we got to see many of the Doctors and companion, both classic and new in it.

On 'The Day of the Doctor' DVD, the special features are as follows. As well as 'The Night of the Doctor', there's another prequel called 'The Last Day' set on Gallifrey. There's also the 'Behind the Lens' documentary; the Doctor Who Explained' documentary and trailers for the story.

'The Day of the Doctor' was the highlight for the 50th anniversary. I don't think it's the best anniversary special, but I enjoyed seeing David Tennant and Matt Smith. 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot', 'The Light At The End' and the `Destiny of the Doctor' series were worthwhile.

The next story for the Eleventh Doctor and Clara is 'The Time of the Doctor'.

5.0 out of 5 stars IF I WERE ME, 29 Dec. 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I will admit, I have not been a fan of Dr. Who primarily due to lack of exposure. I am familiar with the story and this was my first experience to watch an episode all the way through. What grabs you is the brilliant writing, the way it deals with complex anomalies in simplified ways and terms. And while being humorous, it deals with serious issues such as the use of WMDs, the decision to sacrifice innocence to stop evil.

The characters were splendid. I understand there was talk about Helen Mirren playing the title role. Now that would indeed make me a "whoey."

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but blu ray has sound issues., 4 Dec. 2013
Sean Brady (Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR and was looking forward to owning it on blu ray. Watched it tonight and it appears the quality control folks were off having a tea break when the audio for this was being put together. It sounds fine via a 5.1 surround set up, but appalling via television stereo speakers. The best way I can describe it is that the music takes on a tinny, warbly effect that is very distracting. There's definitely a problem here that needs to be addressed. I've read of the same complaints reported elsewhere so hopefully people will let the BBC know and something will be done to get this issue sorted and replacement discs issued.

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this because I like 3D as well as Doctor Who, 18 Oct. 2014
I bought this because I like 3D as well as Doctor Who; have been a fan of the series since I was about 5 or 6 years old; and I missed seeing this in the cinema.

I didn't want to pay full price for this so I waited until it was about half that.

My hunch paid off. Okay I got the programme, in 3D, but that is all I got. No frills whatsoever.

The menu system is less than basic and it took a while to work out how to turn off the Audio sub text. It took a few minutes and several restarts but I eventually got the disc to play.

That's about all I can say about it really. There's nothing else. No extras. Not even those on BB3, if there were any. Just someone's copy from a Tivo basically, if it weren't for the fact it was in 3D.

If you bought it at £16, I pity you. I bought it at £6. So I'm happy because for what I got that is the most that I would expect to pay.

4 stars simply because I liked that episode of Doctor Who.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story!, 5 Mar. 2015
Three reasons for which I would buy it again: 1) it has a well-written story which is totally worth watching. 2) It doesn't cost that much (I paid it 9 pounds, seems good to me). 3) There are three Doctors in one story. So...still wondering whether you should buy it or not? The answer is simple: yes, you should!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 50th Anniversary, 18 Jan. 2014
TheEnthusiastCollector "Ben" (Llangefni, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Love it, contains the 1st-9th Doctors (Archive footage), the War Doctor (John Hurt), the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) and the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith). The 11th Doctor joins the 10th and War Doctor's to sort out the events of the Time War which occurred between the Classic era (1963-1996) and the revival series (2005-Present). The earth is invaded by Zygons (Appeared only once before with Tom Baker in 1975) between the present day and Elizabethan England and also Gallifrey is invaded by the fully forced Dalek empire. With these Doctors save Gallifrey and the Earth together?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knowing winks., 6 Dec. 2013
W. Beckett (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
After the chore of season 6 - with the gradual redemption in season 7, This is Stephen Moffat back on form. I loved how he took various criticisms of the Doctor's sometimes puerile behaviour and weaved it with humour into the show. 'The man who regrets and the man who forgets' summed it up greatly. And standing up against the deservedly well-loved portrayal of David Tennant's Doctor and John Hurt's solid and stalwart acting credentials - hats off to Matt Smith in this 50th anniversary. I now realise in compare and comparison, he really has made the Doctor his own. Therefore in some ways now. it's such a shame he's going just when he's put a stamp on it. As for the Blu-Ray 3D. Some scenes work well in 3D. Other's just appear quite 2D. But that's the curse of setting and circumstance I suppose? And considering all the 50th anniversary spin offs from Blue Peter to a Peter Davidson documentary, such a celebration was deserved of a bumper Extra-Extra's edition with this disc. But alas we don't even get a commentary. Just trailers, a quick behind the scenes and Doctor Who explained for an American audience. That said - this Tv movie feel of Dr Who is an instant classic.

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [DVD]