Format: DVD|Change

on 19 June 2014
I cannot say there has been a show that has consumed me like this one ... i love anything like this being a history fan and big fan of costume drama .. so watch anything like Tudors, GoT, Vikings .... but OMG this one had me on the edge of my seat ... gripped .. i became obsessed with it and was rushing home from work to get on an episode before my husband got home my work and ruined it by talking (lol!) we recently got Amazon TV and its free on Prime so watched 3 seasons back to back in 2 weeks ... LOVED IT.
Super sexy .. violent .. cunning plots in abundance ... and the costumes and sets were out of this world .. the casting superb- Jeremy irons was incredible as the Pope .. and Cesera Borgia OMG i cannot think of a sexier character, Lucreziz Borgia was just brilliant and their on screen chemistry was just oozing out from the TV set.
My absolute favorite TV of all time.. i cannot understand why they did not get a 4th season to complete the story. I had to Wikipedia the family to get some closer and read how they all came their sticky ends ...
on 17 December 2013
Someone recommended this series to me as I enjoyed The Tudors, Game Of Thrones and Rome. This was like those put together then times by 10. I absolutely was glued to it from the first minute. Apparently it's not historically correct but who gives a damn, what a story. Power, violence, the most beautiful man in the world (Cesare), the scenes and costumes are stunning. I probably wont see anything in my lifetime that I enjoyed more!! The only thing that gets close to this is the Spanish series Isabel which is just finishing on Sky Arts 1 this week after 13 episodes. Similar vein and also very good.
on 6 February 2016
This work of art has multiple levels. The story is compelling and believable, the dialog convincing, the actors perfectly matched to their roles and their performances outstanding, the costumes wonderful and perfectly in period, the sets both imposing and accurate, the staging and camerawork innovative and striking, the CGI excellent.
Lucrezia's journey from thirteen-year-old bride to mature woman is written and acted quite perfectly, as is Cesare's transition from dutiful son to Prince.
There are hidden treasures. Many scenes copy or emulate the style of High Renaissance painters, notably Da Vinci and Rafael. Events and political tactics are straight out of Machievelli's The Prince, the Bible of today's corporate warriors. The background music adds emotional gravitas, for example to Lucrezia and Cesare's passion. More generally, the sexual interactions, both hetrosexual and homosexual, highlight emotions, not mechanics.
My sole criticism is of the strapline 'The Original Crime Family'. The Borgias were no more violent or manipulative than their contemporaries - for example Henry VIII (of the six wives), and Cortes (scourge of Mexico).
on 28 April 2014
Jeremy Irons made this series, but there again, so did Francois Arnaud (wow!!!!) together with the entire cast. A wonderful production and thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating at the same time. Sean Harris also contributed his part. As I say, marvellous, can't wait to watch it all over again.
on 1 May 2014
We didn't watch this on TV, and the DVD's were so good that we were watching several episodes a night. SUCH a pity that the final episodes were never made due to the budget. Costumes, acting, sets, all absolutely stunning. So much so that we have now bought the book and have also found out where Cesare is buried. Quite sad...but we intend to visit his last resting place and leave a tribute.
on 19 November 2013
Fantastic production and cast. A tour de force from beginning to end. Shame that there will be no fourth series.
on 7 February 2014
I had watched series one and two but not series three, and was looking forward to watching the conclusion the Box set was well packaged and arrived in goof time
on 3 November 2015
Hmmmm. Bought this on the strength of Sean Harris who is of course brilliant. So no probs there. Not really sure about the director's intentions about how Mr Irons should play his role. I can't help but think he was to keep it light and camp because I keep expecting Kenneth Williams or Frankie Howard to pitch in on occasion. Sets etc nice but all-in-all a bit disappointing. Will attempt to watch all episodes before recycling!
on 30 October 2015
Generally O.K. Very visual. Jeremy Irons et. al are good value. Entertaining but not historically accurate, at all. At the end, in series 3, the story looks as if it has 'been cut off at the neck'. As though the producers had taken an on the spot decision to end the story in that one episode. Rather than proceed onto another series 4, 5 or whatever.
on 28 October 2015
Absolute fantastic! Great acting, well made environments but most of all this is a true story about one of the most powerful families in italy.
I highly enjoyed this series. Strangely enough there is no italian translation to be found..........now you know why you need to see it!