TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 January 2015
I picked one of these up as I had trouble finding a shop with the official PS3 controller
I had some reservations as the price is low and I honestly didn't expect much here, but I'm pleased to say bar some limitations the controller is well made, works near enough as well as the official one does for a fraction of the price.

There are a few downsides firstly you have to use a USB port for the wireless dongle, the second is that this has no build in battery and is powered via 2 x AA cells. I would suggest investing in a few decent re-chargeable batteries for use with the gamepad. You also get a supplied USB to mini USB cable this is used to power the pad if you've no batteries in the unit or for playing on a computer/pc.

It does not charge the batteries if you have it connected to the PS3 you have to change them there is a lock in section at the back remove this and put the 2 AA cells in there.

Build is surprisingly good for the price with a solid feel no obvious creaking plastics or seams. The buttons are also responsive. On the top section a series of 4 red LED's indicate which of the 4 available channels it's connected to. The home button functions as the PS3 icon does, start/select are a little different in location raised higher up. There is also a "turbo" button this rapidly fires the pressed button of your choice saving you the hassle of button bashing frenzy a nice feature to have and one not present on the OEM controller

Analogue sticks are good they have excellent accuracy I didn't find any problems with them in all other ways this acts very much like the official controller does buttons have a somewhat different feel but still well above par here too. The size is a little larger than the PS3 offering but comfy with solid plastics and a harder rubber on the grey sections on the outer sides. In some ways I find this even nicer to hold than the original (having larger hands possibly)

It can't be denied that the OEM controller is very good esp with the build and built in battery, but really this is far better than the price suggests and so far battery life has been very good (over 9 days with 2 good AA's in the controller and used a fair bit)

At this price it's a bit of a steal really I expected something quite flimsy and poor but this has proven to be a respectable third party offering. Recommended
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2015
I stumbled across this controller after simply searching for a replacement for my previous official Dualshock 3 controller.

Good points:

- Tough controller. Great build quality, and seems sturdy enough to survive everyday use.

- Good layout. The extended triggers mean you have a slight 'edge' in shooting games. The grips on the side mean that it doesn't slip out of your hands, and it is slightly bigger than a standard ps3 controller, so if you're coming from an xbox, then I guess this will make it easier to adjust.

Bad points:

- Batteries. As stated by other reviewers, the controller takes batteries ( 2xAA), and the battery life is shocking. You cannot get any more than 2 1/2 hours on a new pair, and don't think I 'cheaped out' and bought the bad quality ones... I packed Duracells, and Energizers people!

- Random Button actions! This controller insists on randomly pressing buttons on and off, and I can't explain why. At first I thought I may have accidentally activated the turbo function... but this was not the case. I thought it may be down to some interference from my brothers controller in the next room, but having extensively tested this with my brothers controller, AND Playstation turned off, we removed that possibility too.

The last point really finished it for me. The battery life could be dealt with if you had a spare pair of rechargeable's at the ready, but the random button pressing was just unacceptable.

Avoid at all costs, and just spend the money buying an official controller... lesson learnt.
on 24 August 2014
purchased in June for my son as a gets used loads & its still going strong..wouldn't hesitate to buy this controller again!!
on 31 March 2014

1) The turbo is a great feature, not just for button mashing, but if you're in a game where you have to repeat through menus constantly and the cursor position is memorised (like an RPG, repeating the same attack) it saves a lot of button mashing and repetitive strain injury

2) It's a solid feeling pad, good grip, nice buttons. The D-Pad passed the street fighter 2 test. If you can't reliably perform a hadouken on a d-pad, bin it I say. It's obviously much better than the rather terrible Xbox 360 dpad and it might even surpass the Dualshock 3 one. Analogs are great too. The shoulders are certainly more grippy than the DS3 but, in my personal opinion, I think you give up a little bit of comfort - although objectively, this may just be a muscle position I'm not used to and is remedied in time.

3) It works with rechargeable AA batteries so, I'd recommend you pick up for 4 AA rechargeable batteries so you can keep 2 on the charge all the time

1) Continuing the battery thread, this control has no USB interface, so if you're out of batteries, you're out of control. I'd of personally paid 2 quid extra for that USB. It taunts you by having the cut out for it. Add to that, if you don't already have rechargeable AAs and a charger to go with it, that's an expense that is added to the saving on a dualshock 3.

2) On PC the default driver only allows digital mode for the L2 and R2 shoulder buttons, despite them working as analog on the PS3. I am certain this could be fixed with a simple driver update, but until it is, I would say this is a glaring oversight. If you enjoy driving games, or simulations where the ability to feather a brake or throttle is key, you will be disappointed here. Even GTA4 on PC will suffer in driving mode.

3) Lack of bluetooth, as stated, it's a 2.4g wireless and it comes with its own dongle. I find that inconvenient. You can use a regular DS3 on a Android device with a bit of fiddling. This will never have that functionality.

If you're looking for a turbo PS3 pad specifically, this is a great choice, a solid feeling controller, if you're looking for a PC pad that has analog shoulder buttons, you're out of luck (check for driver updates). If you skipped to here, note the analog shoulder buttons do work on PS3. Whatever you pay for this pad, you have to factor in either the cost of batteries, or the cost of 4 AA rechargeables and a battery charger. If you already have these items, this pad will make great financial sense even if you weren't specifically looking for turbo.

So I've had this for 9 months now, it's fairly resilient as the hardware itself is still in perfect working order. However, I've revised my review down to 3 Stars since at the time of writing, they have still yet to release a firmware or software update to enable analogue trigger function on the PC. It defies logic, the hardware is there as clearly demonstrated by using them on the PS3. If you have a stock of rechargeable AA batteries and you're only buying this for PS3, at the current price and still say it was a good buy. If yours isn't working I'd say you got bad luck and a dud unit and return it.
on 6 January 2015
The pad is well made and works well. However, the images are deceptive, the images show on the back of the pad a charging point like a standard PS3 controller. However these wireless pads are actually battery operated. there is nothing whatsoever in the description on the site here that says that they are battery operated.

Also on the packaging it shows the same thing IE a power charge point. While the pad works well this is not a good procedure for honest sales. We wil use the pads but at the time of the purchase the wired version of the pad was not shown here, if it was we would have boguth thise IF we had known the pads shown were in fact battery powered!
on 11 March 2015
What you mainly need to realise beforehand is that this product does not have integrated batteries so you need 2xAA (Mignon) along with this product and also one free USB port for the receiver. Compared with the original Sony PS3 controller this one has slightly different shaped L2 and R2 Buttons but I think they are even better for 'grip'.

It works perfectly fine and my batteries ( survive easily one long gaming night.
on 20 June 2015
I nearly cancelled this and I'm glad I didn't. This is a very nice quality controller and for occasional use a much better deal than an original Sony one. It has all the functions you need and works very well with AA rechargeable batteries. Yes you have to plug in a dongle to a USB port to make it work as it's not Bluetooth but that's not a huge issue. Range is good and battery life also very decent. All in all a good controller at a very agreeable price.
on 11 April 2015
Ok, everythink worked but the calibration of the main sticks wasn't set properly not advised for professional gamers. The sensetivity is wrong you go to look slowly in FPS games and nothing slightly more and it jumps. Ive found this on alot of pads. I thought giotech would get it wright but unfortunatly not. Probably good for kids games were fine adjustment is not needed but not for serious first person shooter games its not functional.
on 19 January 2015
Great controller the only thing is is doesn't work for the second player on the mine craft game any body help me
on 30 December 2014
1) Joypad casing is good solid quality either equal or better than the PS3 standard one.
2) Uses AA batteries and so no need to wait for recharging...simply replace batteries when it runs out of charge.
3) The button presses and analog sticks are as good as the PS3 standard one.
4) Excellent connection range with no disconnection problems.

1) Need to switch PS3 on from the PS3 box as the joypad is NOT able to do that for you.

I have not yet used the turbo functions so can not comment on this.