5.0 out of 5 stars The Quintessential Gemini by Linn B Halton, 17 Dec 2012
Katherine Dale finds herself starting a new life after been made redundant. Katherine had been use to working the full-time nine to five routine, and now she finds herself home alone apart from No 4 her cat. Katherine reads her stars everyday by well known astrologer Mark Ainsley-Thomas, finding her life is out of her control, she has come to depend on her stars as guidance in her decision making and looks for and lives her life according to her daily horoscopes.

When her horoscopes seem to go a little strange, by no longer seeming to tie in with her life, and have no relevance what so ever to her life, Katherine decides to email Mark Ainsley-Thomas to find out what is going wrong. Can assistant astrologer James Kingman know why this is happening?

When a series of coincidences then follow, is it fate and written in Katherine's stars what her destiny will be?

Nothing makes me happier than when you start reading a book and you really get into the story from page one. This book is just one of those books. I could totally empathise with the character of Katherine who is at a cross roads in her life. We have all been there at some point in our own lives. When life seems so still for us, and non moving and what a really interesting idea for a story, to have the character turn to her horoscope to kind of give her a heads up of what will happen in her life. So she then tries and move her life inline with her stars. I found the story to be emotionally charged at times in parts I found this to be very moving. An excellent story, that you don't have to be into horoscopes and astronomy to enjoy the story, because this is not just what the story is all about, it is a story of change and excepting change, and moving forward in life and achieving your goals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and entertaining!, 2 Dec 2012
I was lucky enough to win this eBook from a giveaway on Jera's Jamboree, I loved the sound of it and was looking forward to getting stuck in especially after reading and enjoying The Restaurant @ The Mill by the same author.

Immediately upon starting this book my mind was filled with questions - Why was it day one of the rest of Katherine's life? How did she fall over? Why was the cat called No.4? and so on. Obviously I had to find out the answers so I kept on turning those pages and found the explanations I required.

The astrology side of the book was fascinating for me, as was Katherine's addiction to reading her horoscopes - I couldn't imagine making any decisions based on my horoscope let alone an important one! One particular sentence summed up her feelings nicely:

"It's not that I can't make a decision; it's more that I'm scared of making the wrong decision."

The writing style was comfortable and there were many fun, laugh out loud moments, a few of my favourites being an awkward dinner party, some heated emails and a journey into writing that led to unexpected and, at times, unwanted attention!

James was wonderful, his thoughtfulness and romantic nervousness endeared him to me and the things he did for Jake, his elderly neighbour, were truly lovely to read about.

And now I move on to No.4, Katherine's cat, and I have to say that for me he was the star of the book! The relationship between him and Katherine was brilliant and something I could totally relate to because I'm just the same with my pets.

A lot of major things happened all at once towards the end so that when I put the book down it took a minute for my brain to catch up! A sad event made my heart sink, followed by an unexpected announcement that made it lift again and finally a big question which didn't quite happen because this was when the story ended (my heart didn't know what to do at this point).

So after drawing my own conclusions, all in all this was an enjoyable and entertaining read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 1 Dec 2012
As a Gemini, the title of this book immediately appealed, but anyone even remotely interested in astrology will enjoy it, I'm sure! Told from the different perspectives of various characters (except No. 4 who only talks Cat), this lovely, heartwarming story takes us from the cozy Cotswolds to the glitz of L.A.

I connected with the characters - and No. 4 really is a delight - and even with a couple of the elements of the plot (the shift from redundancy to writer!)

A very enjoyable and easy read, and a very easy 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A star-struck romance..., 24 Sep 2012
When I read the premise of this book - the story of a woman who lives her life according to her horoscope - I was already enthralled by it. I'm not a Gemini myself but I do like to read my horoscope and so I couldn't wait to download this story to my Kindle. This is about what happens when the heroine Katherine's life hits a crisis point and her daily horoscope no longer `fits' with the events in her life. She then finds out that her horoscope is no longer being written by her astrological hero, the renowned astrologer Mark Ainsley-Thomas, but by his assistant James Kingham. What follows is a triangle of astro-intrigue and romance as Linn B Halton delves deeply into each emotional conflict in the storyline. I was `there' on every page with Katherine, rooting for her and shedding a few tears along the way. There is a lovely surprise ending, which I won't give away. This is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read - Perfect for Relaxing, 7 Aug 2012
Mrs. S. C. Dyer (England) - See all my reviews
Was gifted this book and thoroughly enjoyed reading. A perfect beach read or afternoon in the garden with glass of wine. The characters are believable, and likeable. The premise of someone trying to live their lives according to their daily horoscope works well and as always the author's clever way of climbing right into the minds of her characters makes this a book a joy to read and one I couldn't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gentle romance with fascinating characters!, 6 Aug 2012
Queen B (Salisbury, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This novel was a really good read, featuring well-drawn characters, described to perfection. Crazy Katherine is down on her luck and lives her life according to her horoscope. What she doesn't count on is meeting astrologer James and him making her see stars! At first she sees them for all the wrong reasons but as this story develops so do their feelings for one another.

A delightful story set in a quaint English village with characters you will think you've met before! I loved old Jake and Tom the postman!

A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quintessential Gemini - a great summer read!, 1 July 2012
I have to say that this has been one of my most enjoyable reads so far this year. I felt there was everything in this book - drama, romance, humour and a great weave of characters - oh and a happy ending too! Together they made the whole story entertaining from start to finish. Am now looking forward to Linn's next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'The year will start with a bang and you won't be disappointed with the way it ends.', 18 Jun 2012
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Katherine is forty-two, and one day she finds she has been replaced in her job as an accountant despite all her hard work and success, and so she is hoping to start again, writing a book. We meet her, as she tells us, on 'day one of the rest of my life', at her home in the Cotswolds which she shares with her quirkily named cat, No.4, as she ponders this new and uncertain future. She reads her horoscopes keenly everyday, written by renowned astrologer Mark Ainsley-Thomas, and she's `a Gemini, full of passion pulling in opposite directions.'

Mark is fifty-five, and we are introduced to him as he is forming a new working relationship with James Kingman, who is returning to work as an astrologer after a failed venture involving an art gallery. Mark tells us 'astrology is the love of my life. Nothing, not even a woman, has ever come between my first passion and me.' Mark is handing over the task of writing the daily and weekly readings on his website to James, to lighten his own workload a little, as he is becoming increasingly well known, and his agent is hoping to make him a star in the USA. Mark isn't really interested in fame or money, he just wants to do his job accurately and well, and he is very perceptive in his assessments of other people. James is having a new start on all fronts, with his return to astrology, and his relationship also having ended. He feels guilty easily, and is a bit of a worrier.

Katherine receives her horoscope by email every day, but starts to notice that Mark seems to not quite be on form, or that something has changed, and decides to contact him after musing that `nothing seems to fit what's actually happening to me anymore.' Meanwhile, she finds herself volunteered to do a talk at the local Writing Circle, and her sister Cassie insists on trying to find her a new partner.

The story is narrated in the first-person in turn, primarily, by Katherine, Mark and James, giving us three different perspectives on events. The story progresses nicely, almost as a series of episodes, each with their own appropriate title which I liked, and it builds together as Katherine, James and Mark's lives all begin to intertwine.

There is lovely dramatic irony as Katherine and James meet each other at a dinner party, with the reader aware of their connection, but the two of them blissfully unaware. There is some lovely humour created by a misunderstanding whilst emailing, and again we are party to more of the email mix-up than the characters are.

This is a fun, enjoyable, character-driven story, well written, and fairly compact. As well as discovering the main characters' stories and finding out how the characters come to interact, there are other strands to the plot including the story regarding James' elderly neighbour, which add interest to the narrative.

Linn B. Halton has successfully depicted people at key turning points in their life, making observations about life, love, relationships, insecurities and independence. She writes with affection for her characters and a genuine enthusiasm and passion for, and evident knowledge of, astrology; Katherine's Gemini horoscope is incorporated into the storyline; it is a key element of her day and of the plot. If you are especially interested in astrology and following how the predictions in horoscopes are represented in your life, as Katherine does in hers here, you'll find it even more engaging. A fun and heartwarming story for summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horoscopes, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Quintessential Gemini (Kindle Edition)
A really delightful story which at times made me laugh and others I cried. Well written and a good romance story that was really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars goes straight on my list of highly recommended reads, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Quintessential Gemini (Kindle Edition)
This book snuck up on me and caught me by surprise with a big bear hug and wouldn’t let me go. I started reading it, as always, without reading the blurb because I want to go into a review without the preconceptions this can lead to, and I am so pleased I did! I am not the biggest fan of astrology and reading my stars. However, from page one Ms Halton drew me in with the warmth of her writing and the depth of her characters. The storyline twisted and turned and every time I was sure I knew what was coming next she surprised me.
The Quintessential Gemini goes straight on my list of highly recommended reads. I have already been praising it to friends, colleagues and of course now all of you. It will be treasured (in as much as an ebook can be) and reread many, many times. I absolutely love books that do this to me, in spite of the content being different from the normal style or genre I would read.

I found it very smooth and flowing to read. It was hard to put down, as I was completely immersed and will admit to needing a tissue at one point. The characters are so completely believable and so well humanised they pop out of the book fully realised. I think in part this is down to their flaws being looked at with eyes wide open and also the writer’s wonderful attention to small personal details. The way their individual stories are intertwined is just perfectly put to paper. An interesting and unusual read.

review by Noemie T Verlan on behalf of BestChickLit.com