Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.29

on 8 November 2014
This review is based on a review copy downloaded from NetGalley.

It’s been almost two years since I reviewed ‘The Hoard’, by Alan Ryker—a situation made even more clear by the fact that I now have two more of his DarkFuse books, published since this one, in my to-be-reviewed list. I remember liking ‘The Hoard’, but I liked this novella even more.

Jessie Carlton has a fine arts degree. He should be making use of his passion for art in his career, but an accidental pregnancy sees him give up his dreams, and take the worst imaginable job, to support his new family. Jessie also suffers from night terrors, which take the form of a black cloaked being he calls the Nightmare Man. His medication isn’t helping enough, and when his problem looks like it might put his wife and children in danger, he signs up for an experimental drug trial.

It’s a horror novella, so you know that doesn’t work out so well, but I won’t say anything more about the plot, for fear of spoilers.

It’s very well written, the pacing is perfect and Alan Ryker racks the suspense up like a true master of his art. In my review of ‘The Hoard’, I said Alan Ryker was an author worth watching. I love it when I’m right.

DarkFuse seem to have have elevated themselves to the level of guaranteed quality, as I’ve yet to read a bad book from this publisher.
on 20 December 2013
Nightmare man is another anxiety filled ordeal from the Darkfuse stable and follows in the vein of some outstanding novella's I've read recently. You have to feel for Jessie, married with two kids, he suffers from night terrors, traumatic and menacing nightmares that send him scurrying violently for safety, anything to escape the Nightmare man. His wife sleeps on the settee and Jessie is desperate for a way out, a normal life, an end to the nightmares ruining his life.

When he finds a trial medical program offering new drugs, he enlists and the prospect finally for a cure to his problems is hopefully just round the corner. Soon after starting the new drugs, the threat posed by the shadow man that haunts his dreams starts to bleed into reality, coming for those he loves most and Jessie has to confront his nemesis head on.

This is the second piece of fiction I've read from Alan Ryker and he has the canny ability to write clever, interesting stories full of ordinary characters you actually care about and can't help but root for. Highly recommended.
This is the story of Jessie. he hasn't been sleeping too well lately owing to some heavy duty night terrors. when his nightmares start to impact on his son, Jessie seeks help from a psychiatrist who refers him to a sleep study. He goes along to enrol, and they give him a drug to supposedly help with the dreams, that's when things take a turn for the worse...

This is another of those stories that slowly, but surely wiggles its way under your skin and stays there. I have always had a thing about closed cupboard doors at night but now at least I know I am not alone, and this has validated my fears! The pace belted along, and I felt invested in Jessies story. The characters were solid and felt real. I really enjoyed this, although it brought back memories of when I was a child and my nightmares! For a quick read (with the lights on!) to keep you up at night, I recommend this.