5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Read
I read this for Hooked On Books

This was a wonderful story.
It is set in the 1970's in the small town of Tulma, Tennesee. It is a case of small town, small minds for some.
Caroline Carson is a young girl with an open mind, and is in love with and loved by a boy she shouldn't be, according to society.
However when she is abandoned by her parents,...
Published 8 months ago by annare

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read.
Nice read but dragged on in places.
Very accurate account of what really happened in the 70s era I just think it needed something more dramatic to happen...
Published 26 days ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Read, 28 Dec 2013
I read this for Hooked On Books

This was a wonderful story.
However when she is abandoned by her parents, she suffers the most horrendous time of her life, & is forced to leave town.
The strength this character shows is amazing. I had so much admiration for her.
This story is about racial prejudice but more importantly, about a couple's undying love for each other, in spite of the dictates of other people.
It was a very moving & emotional story. I shed a few tears & laughed too.
A very powerful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: In the Fields (Kindle Edition)
This is certainly one of my top reads of the year. Reading the description didn't grab me but as I received this for a blog tour I thought I better start reading. Holy Moly I'm glad i did. What an amazing story this turned out to me.

I'm really not going to say much about the story as I want you to have the shock factor that I did. What I can say is that Caroline the main character is such a fantastingly strong young girl. No one should go through what this little girl did. Yet she shows the reader that with a struggle you can get through the bad times and maybe even smile at times.
I highly recommend this read. It's certainly a re read for me & I know it will stay with me for a long time.
Received in return for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: In the Fields (Kindle Edition)
IN THE FIELDS is one of those books that will reaffirm your faith in love and humanity. I'm getting emotional just thinking about this book and with good reason, Willow Aster created characters and a story that is both hopeful and heartbreaking at the same time and one you will never forget.

Caroline lives in Tulma, Tennessee in the early 1970's. Racial tensions are high and prejudice is rife in this tiny, backwater town. Falling for her best friend, Isaiah when she is white and he is black is forbidden but for this couple, love is truly colour-blind. Sadly not everyone feels the same way and when Caroline is horrifically attacked she is forced to flee her home and leave her love behind. Building her life in a strange new place, Caroline must protect her past and look to the future. However Isaiah and Tulma are never far from her thoughts, will Caroline find peace or will her first love haunt her forever?

Caroline is one of my favourite characters that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in a book. She is pure goodness and kindness and has broken free of the cycle of ugly hate and racism that is perpetually present in the town. Her friendship and love with Isaiah is simply put - beautiful. I ached for this couple and willed them to find a way to survive together. "Love across the divide" stories are not new but this one was particularly arresting and emotional to read. The 1970's in the South was a hotbed for racism and hate and the tension is tangible through every word. What was utterly heartbreaking for me was how this story and its characters proved just how insidious prejudice is and how easy it is to hide until the hate eventually spills over and the ugliness seen in people's eyes, their sneers and their insults cannot be contained any longer.

The themes in the story are heavy to say the least, hate, alcoholism, death, rape, love etc but at all times despite the pain Caroline goes through and the tears spilling down your cheeks the story is inherently hopeful because you experience it through Caroline. Her ability to forgive and her inner strength at a time when she was woefully neglected by the very people who are supposed to love her are inspirational and staggering. Her voice rings out clear as a bell and you can't help but fall for her and Isaiah. All the characters are so well realised which made the story all the more brutally gut wrenching to read. Ruby, Papa and Davis were true favourites and make me smile when I think of them.

Stirring, with a message of love conquers all but only if you participate in your own rescue, IN THE FIELDS is beautiful, unforgettable and important. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars heartbreakingly brilliant!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: In the Fields (Kindle Edition)
This book! What to say about this book that won't spoil it for you, but still make you want to read it?
It's a heartbreaking story of forbidden love, racism and heartache and I could not put it down. It's the story of a sweet young girl, Caroline who is neglected by her parents and left to fend for herself. Her best friend in the whole world is Isaiah Washington. He's in love with her and she's in love with him - but they can't act on their feelings because unfortunately for them, this is 1971, and they live in the tiny backwater town of Tulma in Tennessee, where inter-racial relationships were unacceptable.
Caroline and Isaiah's relationship is one of friendship, they love each other but it's all very innocent. when we first meet them, they're in their teens, and still in school. Caroline doesn't have the easiest life - but Isaiah is the light in her world. She knows that they will never be allowed to have a relationship, but still doesn't stop hoping.
The story follows Caroline throughout her journey from mid teen to adulthood, and let me tell you - her life does not get any better. My heart broke for the things that she went through, yet after everything that is thrown at her, she still has the same sweet disposition and its hard for anyone not to love her. I rooted for her to have the happy life that she deserves, and for her to put herself first for once.
It's hard to imagine that its not so long ago that these issues were pretty prominent in society, this book makes you feel like you are there. I loved Willow Aster's first book (True Love Story) and she didn't disappoint with this one either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 star hit ..., 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: In the Fields (Kindle Edition)
5 fat shiny stars and more. Willow Aster has another hit on her hands and I couldn't be happier for her.
In The Fields is heartbreaking but beautiful, sad but uplifting, and the ultimate message is that love can, and will, triumph.

I became a fan of Willow Aster earlier this year after reading her début, True Love Story. In The Fields, her follow up, is completely different but it did not disappoint. It's beautifully written, sensitively covers taboo subjects, and gives messages of hope, faith in humankind, as well as love being triumphant.

I cried for Caroline, and everything she went through, like she was a real person - that's how well written she was, and how much I connected with her. I felt heartache for her situation and the decisions she was forced to make. I was angry with the people who shirked their roles as her protectors. In short, In The Fields made me feel so many emotions and I loved every minute of reading it.

Well done, Willow Aster.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: In the Fields (Kindle Edition)
Nice read but dragged on in places.

In the Fields