Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£13.29

on 5 February 2014
This simple to understand no nonsense approach is ideal for those of us trying to get to grips with this awful Windows 8. After years of computer use, Microsoft have turned the computing world upside down (in my opinion) with Windows 8 and 8.1. What was needed was a simple to use and understand 'idiot guide' and this book fits the bill. Highly recommended.
on 10 February 2014
As a long term user of Windows XP I was most disappointed with a new computer purchase which came preloaded with Windows 8.1. The Windows 8.1 for Dummies starts with a statement that if you are satisfied with your current system, think carefully before upgrading to 8.1, wise advice!
I have found the book helpful in getting to grips with the new system, but the real breakthrough came with downloading free software to avoid Microsoft's own Apps, designed to shoehorn you into dependence on their own software. Roll on Windows 9
on 22 January 2014
Unless you're a computer whiz, you'll need this book for Windows 8.1. The best information it gave me was that I can type in a help request on the deskbook page even though there's initially no box for entering text. This appears after the first letter is typed. But bearing in mind how complicated Win 8.1 appears to a Dummy like me, it does a good job. If I get stuck, I type in the problem as previously stated.
on 6 May 2014
I needed help as 8.1 is very different from previous Windows systems. Very!!!!
But this book by A R is excellent (as always!) and will certainly guide you through the trials and tribulations of 8.1....
No pictures, but if you have some knowledge of computing then you'll be fine and pleased with your ability to cope with Microsofts new ideas!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 November 2015
These books are a must for any Windows Operating System.
This one is particularly useful because Windows 8.1 is so different from what we have been used to.
It talks you through it clearly.
It also gives a good explanation of what Cloud/One Drive is. I didn't know what it was but this was very informative.
on 30 December 2013
This guide is up to the standard we have come to expect from the 'Dummies' writers. I needed it to cover a number of aspects associated with Windows 8.1 having switched from XP and Vista. It sits beside me for instant use. Windows is to a degree intuitive but only to a degree - at least it is for this 'Dummie'!
on 22 October 2014
Having jumped straight from Windows XP to 8.1, I definitely needed help, particularly with shortcuts and useful hints and tips. Found everything I needed (and more) in this book., which is easy to read and navigate. His writing style can get a bit wearing though, hence 4 stars rather than 5.
on 9 June 2014
I would be lost without the Dummies book for the latest O/S. However, Microsoft seem to be making adjustments to Windows 8.1 all the time, so occasionally it doesn't work as Andy Rathbone says it will. Possibly it will need some updating as time goes on, but generally it is fine.
on 3 May 2015
It could be better, more explicit headings for the more obvious questions, setting up email acc for instance, how to find downloads, how to get pics to go where you want them, but generally it helped me to understand things better, I'm still struggling with quite a lot!
on 17 December 2014
An essential purchase for anyone upgrading from the old familiar windows system to the new and scary windows 8.1. Andy Rathbone takes you through everything from the absolute basics to the more advanced procedures whilst never using jargon or talking down to the reader.