4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8.1 for Dummies
Published 8 months ago by Granny

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 is different
I have used this series of books before, but Windows8 (and 8.1) is so different it has taken a lot of learning - and unlearning of well learned techniques. The author advises using the book ad a dictionary and looking up topics as they arise, but I found the index difficult to use and topics were not always listed under the heading I was looking for.
However I...
Published 8 months ago by Joss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8.1 for Dummies, 9 Dec 2013
Being computer illiterate and having bought a new computer and forced into Windows 8, I nearly understood "Windows 8 for Dummies". Quickly updated to Windows 8.1 and bought this book - thank goodness! Not only have Windows upgraded their Windows 8, but reinstated obvious omissions and crammed the programme with wonderful additions which I can only enjoy through Andy Rathbone's informative and amusing, step by step instructions for 8.1. Don't know about the "Windows 8.1 for Senior Dummies", but being definitely in that class, this edition will certainly do for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 9 Dec 2013
Don't read this all at once. Use it when you've lost a file or when intuition has let you down. Moving straight from XP to 8.1 is scary, but this book is an excellent back up to the help available on line.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real problem solver, 15 Feb 2014
Just what an 80yr old lady needs to work out how her new laptop works. Quite a leap from her 1999 Time Computer's Windows 98 Laptop!
She can now email, add attachments, Open and Save photos, do Group mailing, surf the Net, check the news and weather . . . . most of which are activities she once scorned.
And she has not asked for help from me - I can't help any way as I am still using Vista!
The book is invaluable because she can find things for herself - the information is clear, easy to understand, and, better still, easy to find.
Well worth the money - and it leaves me free to get on with my own activities - editing the Villages' Magazine, writing and researching in my specialism of Liturgy, and composing, using Sibelius.

5.0 out of 5 stars If your new to Win 8/8.1 This book is for you, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
Used XP since its launch until now (Jan 14). From reading many reviews on Win 8/8.1 I realised I would need a guide as I purchased a new Laptop. This book is a must for anyone switching to Win8/8.1. Lots of info and laid out well in useful Chapters and sections so can be used as reference as well as a general guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8.1, 5 Feb 2014
This simple to understand no nonsense approach is ideal for those of us trying to get to grips with this awful Windows 8. After years of computer use, Microsoft have turned the computing world upside down (in my opinion) with Windows 8 and 8.1. What was needed was a simple to use and understand 'idiot guide' and this book fits the bill. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8.1 for Dummies, 3 Dec 2013
It is a very good book, although it was probably written more for laptops than tablets. I already have the book for Windows 8 tablets but I still felt I needed 8.1 - just in case I got stuck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 is different, 2 Dec 2013
However I generally found it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver for coping with Windows 8.1, 15 Feb 2014
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Let's be clear,Windows 8.1 is not easy to fathom even for those of us who think we are reasonably computer literate.

Being forced to adopt it with a new PC for my daughter, this Dummies guide has proven indispensable as a reference when, all too frequently, we struggled to figure out ' how to' .

Very important to make sure that you buy this for Windows 8.1, not the earlier 8.0 which has its own guide and is different in several important ways.

Overall, highly recommend this for anyone having to face getting familiar with Windows 8.1.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Confused, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
As a confused new user of Windows 8.1 I was seeking more practical advice how to use the laptop, which is sadly lacking for me. I want a DIY book that explains what to press just to replace the simple tasks that I did with Windows XP - is such available?

Kenneth Lang

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
no problems it was as expected

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›