5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding

3.0 out of 5 stars A step in the wrong direction
Published 10 months ago by Jules

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
Having really enjoyed her first album, I eagerly awaited this composition of her own work and was not disappointed. Having just heard the whole deluxe album, thanks to the Amazon cloud. There really is no bad track, each one demonstrates different aspects of this young lady's extraordinary talent. It is difficult to believe she is 17, so mature are her vocals and lyrics. As said all tracks are excellent, but personal early favourites are, Wings, Heart of Gold, All you never say, Maybe, Standing in way of the light and Older.
'
Birdy bears comparison to early work by the magnificent 'Jewel' one of my all times favourites, if you have not heard her Foolish Games, give yourself a treat!

If Birdy can continue to produce work like this, we are witnessing a new star! Cannot wait to see her live at end of October.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
I'm very happy to see Birdy release an album of her own work. I love how different it is compared to the first one, it's not just Birdy and her piano any more and it proves what a great and versatile artist she is. My personal favourite is 'Light Me Up', this song has so much power in it. It's such a pleasure for me to see someone growing up as an artist and becoming better and better :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 28 Sep 2013
What a lovely album this is. Treated myself to the deluxe version and am so glad. Birdy is maturing into a fine artist. This is equally as good as, and probably better than, her first album. Only had it since Monday and have played it every day since. Her haunting voice is amazing. Love it, love it, love it. Go on, treat yourself!

3.0 out of 5 stars A step in the wrong direction, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
The appeal of music, like so many other things, is subjective. 'Fire Within' lacks the raw authenticity of Birdy's first album. Too many of the tracks have been over-produced, at the expense of Birdy's own musical expression and her pure, haunting vocals. I enjoyed the 'filling' - the middle tracks that were the 'meat in the sandwich' - but I doubt very much that the opening and closing tunes will stand the test of time. I was expecting more, but 'Fire Within' has been sadly underwhelming. Her first album was irresistible - it was several months before I had to give it a rest - but the new offering is already off the playlist in my car. Sorry, I wanted so much not only to like 'Fire Within', but also to see it as a progression from a stunning debut album. I've not given up on her, though. It's not dreadful and Birdy's talent and potential are already indisputably established.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Fire Within (MP3 Download)
This is such a mellow album. Great voice and a pleasure to listen too. I normally listen to dance/club music but this is a nice refreshing change for me. There is a a MP3 live lounge EP free on Amazon right now which I downloaded first and I liked it that much I bought this album. The song I heard to gain my interest in this artist was Wings .... This is my favourite track by her and I'm sure she will be making music for a long time to come :)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a step down from her last album, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
I LOVED Birdy's first album and waited with bated breath for her second album and I'm sorry to say it's a bit of a disappointment. The second album (which I'm listening to now) has none of the haunting beauty that the first album did. The second album is more 'pop' designed to have mass appeal I guess, but really it just comes across as bland and a bit unimaginative. It's not BAD but it's definitely not as good as the first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb melodies, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
After hearing Wings at my daughters dance show and see her dance to it, i was hooked on the song, was not sure if i would enjoy the whole album tho and expected it to be quite dull and only have that one outstanding song but with repeat listens it grows and grows and each song is beautiful and haunting but with a few upbeat pop feel songs too.
The deluxe edition has 4 extra songs which stand up to the rest of the album so well worth getting.
A unique sounding voice helps to set her aside and can't be compared to others and she sounds older and wiser than her years so looking forward to seeing how her career progresses and will check out her earlier album now.
Number 5 song All You Never Say is a standout for me too.

4.0 out of 5 stars persevere and you'll be enthralled, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
I am a big Birdy fan, her first cd having being on heavy rotation in my house. I bought her second cd on a whim and on the strength of her superb single 'wings'. initially, I was unsure about how I felt about it. this was clearly a turn towards mid-tempo commercial pop songs. I wasn't quite sure I was happy about it, and for a moment at first, I thought 'wings' was all there was to this album. But boy was I wrong! I persevered and realized that her songs were well crafted pop ditties and in between the obvious efforts for commercial recognition lay beautiful songs, like 'no angel', 'standing in the way of the light' (which could have been sung by a fine frenzy) and 'strange birds'.., all enveloped by her achingly beautiful voice. And as I
continue to listen to this album, I discover new gems. All I can say is don't go in seeking a repeat of birdy's first album, just keep an open mind and get ready to be enthralled. This cd has so far been overlooked, what a pity this is! Birdy is evolving in quite the songwriter, and given the right support, this cd will be the beginning of many other gems!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing second album, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
Bought this as Birdy's first album was excellent. However the self penned songs are dreary and are no match for the covers on the first album (for example Skinny Love which is really good).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the last one.....but still a delight, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Fire Within (Audio CD)
Prefer the last album but this is still very good. I like the purity of her voice, she does not force the words out and feel the need to scream like many modern artists.

Fire Within