This is well-written, fast-paced and with two leads who (in theory) totally complement each other's personalities, backgrounds and occupation. So, all should have worked out fine, and ended great, yeah?

Published 9 months ago by ROROBLU'S MUM

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much macho
It has its moments but the two characters just grated on me. Putting two ridiculously alpha males into a relationship, if that's what you could call this, just doesn't work.
Published 5 months ago by James

4.0 out of 5 stars I think the author was clever with the way the tale ended - a nifty little marketing ploy that may well work., 28 Sep 2013
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Not quite. Whilst I don't want to Spoil the tale, let me just say that book 2 is out in around a month, and then there will be 2 more full length tales, and 2 novellas. All focusing on Prophet and Tom, so you don't get a fait accompli ending in this tale. Perhaps as the series goes on, we might get to see side tales, featuring some of the other EE agency guys, but for the main, it'll be this couple, according to the author's website.

Yes, it was an interesting enough read, and the characters were intriguing enough that I will probably pick up the rest of the series, but personally, I'd have liked to gotten to know them a bit more as guys - rather than as agents, which the book seemed to focus on. We got glimpses of both guys' pasts, but we never delved into who they were now, much. They seemed to manage to find time for some pretty hot and heavy sex, in between being in danger and investigating a death/disappearance, and yes, the reveals of their pasts did make me want to read more, but I never felt as if I got to know or like the leads.

I would have been happy to pay for this, but in all honesty, I was looking for a bit more romance and feelings in this MM tale, not just some very hot sex in between a 'black ops' tale.

Ebook courtesy of Riptide Publishing and NetGalley, in return for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
For the most part I enjoyed this book. My only issue was too many characters introduced too quickly - I was having to pause to put the name and face to the place. But besides that small issue I thoroughly enjoyed the MCs and was gripped by the story to the end. I will be buying the next book in the series too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catch a Ghost, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Good light read. For some reason, the initial plot is quite similar to the first books from Cut and Run series from Abigail Roux. Since I am fan of Cut and Run series, I also enjoyed the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed it., 13 May 2014
4.5
To borrow a word from my GR friend Julio, that would otherwise be foreign to my vocabulary, I found this book full of feelz. (Yeah, I know, I'm actually far too square to get away with that, but you get my point.) I felt these two F'ed up, broken men. I felt these two beautifully fragile, dominant creatures. I felt these two violent, sexy males and I loved them, adored them, wanted more and more and more of them. They make a perfect pair.

Sure, the book isn't flawless. I still have no idea why EE was even involved in Chris' investigation in the first place, unless it was solely as a personal favour to Prophet? But even then, who conveniently knew to notify Phil in the first place? I still don't understand why Prophet would let a 10-year-old promise to a man he knew a week dictate his life. I also thought Tom's investigative process was ridiculously easy. Sure, you can go out in one night and get and invite to an exclusive secret club just like that, *snaps fingers for effect.* Happens to me all the time, yeah?

I'm still a little vague on what Tom's actual history is. I got a pretty good feel of what messed Prophet's mind up so badly, but would have liked a clearer picture of what happened to Tom, as well as Tom's 'abilities.' There were a few mystery references. Who's King, for example? And I thought that using the "I'm too high/tired/alseep/etc to care about consequences" trope to lower the mens' inhibitions and get them into bed was cliche.

But putting all of that aside, I just plain enjoyed this read and I prioritise that above just about everything else. The writing was fine, though as it was an unedited ARC, I can't comment on the editing. The cover is gorgeous and I'm really hoping for the chance to read more of Prophet and Tom's story. Happy reader, right here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adored this, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Wow wow wow! Prophet and Tommy! What an amazing couple of MCs! Sexy, smart, slick romance. Can't wait to read no. 2

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much macho, 5 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book from S E Jakes, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I only write reviews when moved by really good content so here you go.

It started out with the Men of Honour series and this spin off is excellent. Many authors tend to lose something in the content over time but SE Jakes just gets better and better.

Prophet was a minor character in the Men of Honour series and oh boy Hell or High Water does not disappoint. Gritty, well written sometimes with a twist, always with passion. These books are not for the faint hearted or those who don't like MM reads. I do recommend to anyone thinking of reading these that they make more sense in the following order:
Read Men of Honour first now 6 books in the series as at Dec 2013, also Free Falling which is a one off but connected to characters in these books, then the two books currently in this HH series. Early in 2014 another spin off called Dirty Deeds is due out. So far these books have just got better and better and Ms Jakes is a prolific writer who doesn't keep her fans waiting long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Loved the two main characters, Prophet and Tommy - hot scenes but wrapped up in a story which personally I enjoyed. Took a while to get used to the narrative which switches focus between the two leads and also the thoughts in italics, but these didn't detract from the plot. I've read books 1 & 2 in this series and am looking forward to the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cant wait for the next one!!!, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
There's 2.5 books so far and they're terrific. A little oblique but I love Prophet.....he's wonderful as an anti-hero/damages hero. Underneath he is a good guy who has kept his real caring nature hidden to protect himself. The erotic scenes are hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars SE Jakes is my fave!, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Can't wait to see how things develop between Prophet and Tom, love all SE Jakes books, am eagerly awaiting next "Bound by" in the series as well as more from the Hell or High water story