5.0 out of 5 stars Talent, talent, talent
The 'greatest hits' from the talented violinist's first decade. Her interpretation of Vaughn Williams 'The Lark ascending' is amongst the best out there. Gives me goose bumps every time I listen to it. Similarly, who could fail to be moved by her beautiful rendition of 'Ladies in Lavender.' That's only two tracks from the twelve on the CD. Cracking album.
My First...
Published 14 months ago by Dodster

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned - poor sound balance
Very disappointed with this CD compared to Nicola Benedetti's other works. As one other reviewer says there are variations in sound level which make for an unpleasant experience unless you're sitting next to the volume button. The quality of playing is exquisite but the album is ruined by other issues.

The order of pieces seems to be very random and thrown...
Published 11 months ago by Happy Sandi

2.0 out of 5 stars Be warned - poor sound balance, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)

The order of pieces seems to be very random and thrown together as if the producers had not thought about how the album would run cohesively as a unit. Specifically the listener is given the serenity and calm of Spiegel Im Spiegel and then the exquisite calm of the Nocturne only to be BLASTED in the ears by the Tchaikovsky Allegro Vivacissimo (track 6) which starts with a CRASH and is clearly at a far higher sound level. Then to be dropped back to the calm of the Meditation from Thais. Be warned, the difference in sound balance is so obvious it's clear nobody in production had listened to the CD in detail before it was issued. If they think this a joke to 'wake you up' with the Tchakivsky then it's lost on me, and presumably most people with educated and sensitive ears.

I normally love Benedetti's playing but feel let down by this CD. It feels cobbled together from her earlier recordings (we've had The Lark Ascending on an earlier CD and it's a long piece.. filler perhaps) and smacks of money spinning which is not something I would have associated with Benedetti... unless the profits are going to her charity/ies but there's no mention of that....

I'm going to re-burn this CD on iTunes removing the Tchaikovsky track, ditto my iPod, and then the whole album will be a more pleasant experience but way below her other albums in terms of a quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talent, talent, talent, 5 Oct 2013
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My First Decade (Deluxe Version) [+digital booklet]

5.0 out of 5 stars Benedetti !, 19 Dec 2013
S. McDonald "Stu" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
Fabulous---peace and quiet and sitting listening to this --Heaven.Each album she makes seems to better than the one that has gone before.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Decade, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
It is really first class from Nicola it was a treat to sit and listen to the CD.A very talented young lady

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten glorious years, 14 Nov 2013
Brian A. Clegg "Brian" (Bewdley England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
Yet another excellent CD from Nicola Benedetti to add to your collection which is thoroughly recommended. Excellent wide ranging choice of tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars my first decade, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
As always excellent violinst. However, it would have been more appreciated if Nicola had played compositions that she had never recorded

5.0 out of 5 stars Massage For The Brain!, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
Can't quite describe adequately how beautifully Nicola Benedetti plays the violin. She has an incredibly light and agile touch that I could only dream about as a school-girl violinist! I put it on if I want to shut the world out for a while, may be even go to sleep, but can't because I want to listen to it so much. That said, it's still the most relaxing 76 minutes I've found of late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Benedetti at her best!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
Nicola's repertoire is second to none and this album shows off her exquisite ability. You will be handsomely entertained listening to this excellent CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely easy listening, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
I got this for my Partner for Christmas and enjoy listening to it too, lovely to have on in the background

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Decade, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: My First Decade (Audio CD)
i loved every track - each one different but superbly played by a bonny Scottish lassie who has studied tirelessly to improve and extend her repertoire.