5.0 out of 5 stars A milestone in the evolution of music, 8 Jun 2010
This review is from: Shake A Bone (Audio CD)
There have been the (very) occasional moments in my music appreciation life, when a track or album has been of such note that, for me, it has marked the genius that is bestowed on the very few. For example, I still have fond memories of a lunchtime stroll down Victoria Street in London around 1967 time when I first heard Canned Heat's 'On The Road Again' shouting at me from the open door of a record shop now long gone. I remember entering and asking the young female assistant what the incredible sound was coming from the (now primitive) speakers. If anything she was more excited about it than I was. "I've been waiting for someone to ask" she said as she thrust a copy into my hand. "It's incredible - please play it as much as you can!" I was more than happy to pay the few old shillings for a record that kick started many a 60s party and still has a pride of place in my collection. Similarly, the hairs on the back of my neck were tingling the moment I heard J.J. Cale's great album 'Travel-log', one of the very few albums without a bum track. Well, here we have another one. This album 'Shake A Bone' from Son of Dave is so different from anything else around that, for me, it points to a completely new direction in the history of both music and, particularly, the blues. Such an innovative sound; the track 'Broke-down Lincoln' really is a touch of genius in the way that it justs forces its way under your skin. More like this young man, and you will have a following the likes of which you could never have imagined in any of your incarnations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Shake A Bone (Audio CD)
I love this guy and think this is his best album so far. It is just perfect for a full-volume thrash home in the car after a bad day at work and certainly puts a smile back on my face. "Broke-down Lincoln" is a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, but it ain't no O3, 12 Jan 2011
C. P. Whiting "G Moonwalker" (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shake A Bone (Audio CD)
Recently purchased this album and once again wasn't disappointed. For me, it isn't as good as O3, but still a great effort from the one-man music machine. This album definitely has more of a 'Blues' feel to it than Son of Dave's previous work. The album becomes a little more 'upbeat' later on, but unfortunately it doesn't ever seem to scale the dizzy heights of O3. Those of you who are new to Son of Dave's music, I would strongly recommend you give O3 a listen to hear his best work. I would describe his sound as a one off - imagaine Blues meets Yellow (who did "The Race") with some beatboxing thrown in and you won't be far off. Great to listen to, but definitely MUCH better to see live...

Shake a Bone