5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent sound and value.
I was looking to replace my bulky and ugly soundbar with a smaller unit that wasn't too boomy in the bass dept but still retained a nice punch.
I auditioned the Bose solo but was honestly not overly impressed with the sound.The other point of fact with the fact that the Bose did not offer separate tone controls or options.
Immediately upon listening to the...
Published 10 months ago by Martin.C

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but there are better.
I have recently bought a Panasonic 39 inch TV which is excellent and wanted to pair it with a sound bar. Tried the Yamaha 101 first, great sound but just couldnt find anywhere practical to sit it so went then tried the Pansonic HTE80EB. Although it sounds ok it wasnt as good as the Yamaha in my opinion and there just seemed to be something lacking in terms of sound...
Published 10 months ago by Dobbo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent sound and value., 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Panasonic SC-HTE80EB-K Wireless Speakerboard with Bluetooth Wireless Technology - Black (Electronics)
Immediately upon listening to the Panasonic I was impressed.Impressed enough to purchase it.
I have to say that I am so pleased I did as this unit sounds even better in the confines of my lounge as opposed to a large electronics supermarket.
Nice vocal tones and nice punchy bass when needed.
I thoroughly recommend this unit to anyone currently looking at other units far more costly and my opinion overrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised, 19 Dec 2013
As we get older my wife and I are finding it harder to follow the dialogue in some TV programs and DVDs. We are very limited in space and this was the only sound bar/speakerboard that would fit without attaching the TV to the wall, depth of the shelf being the limiting factor. As it is so easy to return things to Amazon I decided to give it a try, though I wasn't too hopeful. In terms of depth and richness of sound it falls short of the sound bars I listened to in my local hi-fi shop (not surprising as they were over twice the price) but this is genuinely better at bringing the dialogue forward and making it clearer, which is what I wanted in the first place. Bluetooth works well for listening to music from my laptop and again it brings the vocals forward and makes them clearer, though at the expense of some depth and richness of overall sound compared to dedicated hi-fi speakers.
The remote is excellent and it is very easy to switch between the different sound modes. And as a bonus it really does stop adverts from being a lot louder than the program they are interrupting.
In summary I am delighted that limitations of space saved me from my hi-fi snobbishness and led me to this which does what I actually wanted extremely well - and saved me money into the bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Speaker!, 15 Feb 2014
Ok so I was very reluctant to spend this amount of money on a speaker but after listening through my TV speakers for years it was time I wanted something better. I have a 4 yr old Sony Bravia without an ARC connection so I wondered how it was going to work for me, so I decided to give it a go as I could have returned it if it did not work out. I just did not want a long sound bar with speakers and wires everywhere.

I read all the comments and I knew it did not come with cables but already had some so no problem there. I have connected the RCA cable from the TV to the speaker so everything plays the sound through the speaker as I have SKY, Apple TV, PS3, Android media box and a Wii. I have also connected my blu ray player using an digital optical lead into the speaker. I need the small remote for the sound volume for this but for everything else I just use my Sky HD remote for the volume. I cannot really tell the difference between the RCA and the optical lead but I've now used both connections at the back of the speaker box.

So what do I think of the box, well what a transformation. It sits so well under the TV and this box is LOAD. I do not use it at a high volume as next door would be banging on the front door and our lounge is not that small. The sound is just brilliant and it makes watching a film a joy, especially using the cinema mode. Watching sports in stadium mode feels like you are really there. Overall I am very pleased with it. You hear so many things with this box that you would not normally hear using just the TV speakers. Bluetooth connection is so easy to use and you can stream anything through it and yes it has a very expensive sound quality.

Everything is adjustable, the bass is just perfect, not booming.

A brilliant speaker but I wish Sony would have made one of these as I am a Sony geek.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect match for Panasonic TV, 29 Oct 2013
I wanted to boost the sound from my Panasonic Plasma GT30 TV but didn't want anything as obtrusive as a soundbar or a surround sound set up. This box fits the bill as it's just a little wider and not quite as deep as my 2011 model TV's stand and it just needs a single HDMI connection to work from the TV remote (other connections are supplied).

It's a really nice step up in sound. Not earth shattering but loud enough for normal TV or SKY or BlueRay movies. There are some options to play around with (for dialogue, sports, movies etc.) which do sound different from each other and it has bluetooth connectivity so with the TV switched off it doubles as a useful remote speaker for my families selection of Apple and Samsung tablets and phones.

It's not boomy like some other other products on these pages and at low volume levels dialogue is boosted for quiet nightime viewing. There are options to change settings of subwoofer and dialogue and I can also choose thongs like enhanced base, 3D sound, dual audio, auto gain and a low volume mode.

It comes with a small remote control just a little bit bigger than a credit card which has buttons for power, volume, input, sound, pairing, set-up and mute.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compromise, 2 Dec 2013
Having a toddler running around our living room, having a separate receiver and speakers was no longer workable for us. I needed something for movies and music but small and discreet enough to be practical and blend in. I didn't want a speaker bar as they can be a little too compromised in the lower frequencies without a separate subwoofer but some of the other speaker 'bases' were a bit on the large side. I kept coming back to the Panasonic during testing in stores due to the simple, tidy styling and the small foot print. I liked the sound but I wasn't in love with it so decided to purchase it with the intention of returning it if it didn't audition well in the house.
The first evening was passable, there was a noticeable bass improvement but overall I wasn't seeing the improvement I was hoping for. The following day I elected to run in this unit for a few hours at a medium volume with a mixture of music. I noticed an improvement in audio quality, not massive but worth doing.
I initially noticed parts of movie soundtracks that didn't seem too pronounced. Turning off 3D Clear Voice improved this immensely and I personally leave this setting off for action movies. For dialogue heavy films I would enable this option as it gives a nice tone to voices. I recommend cinema, standard or stadium sound effects for movies - the latter of which really opens up the sound stage and gives a greater sense of immersion with effects sounding far off to either side.
For music, I found the music setting okay but actually preferred listening to music in cinema mode with standard or stereo a close second. Depending on the genre of music, I would enable 3D clear voice but turn the dialogue setting down to 1. It certainly pays to have a play around with the settings as I have now found settings I am really happy with for both movies and music. I have my TV connected via optical for TV & movies.
I also use the Bluetooth streaming for listening to music from my Mac and IOS devices. Connection is straight forward and very stable - I have encountered no audio drop outs after listening to music for a few hours. It just works perfectly.
Bass response for such a small cabinet is actually very good indeed; you won't be shaking the furniture but there is real presence to the bass without any booming and it is delivered with a nice punch.
This is replacing a Pioneer amp and Wharfedale speakers and of course it can't match that pairing for audio quality but for a compromised all in one system, it delivers very well indeed and is a keeper for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 30 Dec 2013
A very smart-looking piece of kit, fits very nicely under my Panasonic TV. Obviously the sound is very much a case of what appeals to the listener but there are an excellent array of sound types to chose from (cinema, stadium etc.). Very easy to set up and works well with Viera link.
The two built-in subwoofers are quite powerful (much to my wife's disgust!) but can be altered on a scale of 1 to 4 to suit as can certain other sound settings. This is an ideal product for those who do not want to turn their living rooms into a sound studio but want to add some extra depth and clarity to both their TV and DVD player sound. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Neat Solution To A Problem That Shouldn't Be There In The First Place, 22 Feb 2014
It seems that the design of modern flat screen TVs represent a triumph of form over function. They often look very stylish and the quality of pictures is excellent, but [and it's a big but] the sound itself...oh, dear! A description of "thin and weak, lacking body" would be a brief diplomatic description for the sound from my TV, at least. So, what to do?

The prospect of creating a home cinema did not appeal; or connecting the TV to a hi-fi system, either. In essence, your reviewer preferred the plug 'n' play approach. Fast forwarding through research and user reviews led me to this Panasonic sound bar. Once unpacked and two cables later [one HDMI and digital optical - my TV doesn't have a HDMI ARC socket] and the transformation was complete. The TV sounded like it should have done from the outset. Dialogue was clear and the sound had real, room filling presence. And what a joy to hear some decent bass lines again!

Non-techies need not concern themselves. The User Guide is mercifully brief, well written and full of plain English. Connection to your TV will require only one HDMI cable if your TV has a HDMI ARC socket, too. A spare HDMI cable enabled me to easily connect my DVD player as well.

The only downside was that no cables are included in the package. Panasonic, please take note!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product for price, 17 Dec 2013
I was originally looking at a sound bar, but I couldn't find one which was suitable size wise and price wise to sit on my tv unit without looking daft. I took a chance on this as it was the only thing that fit size wise and am happy I did. The sound quality is fantastic. I know that there is far better sound on the market, but not at this price. If you are looking to GREATLY increase the sound quality of your tv but you aren't 'that into the technology' then this is perfect for you.

The product is great and actually works better for me in my living room than a sound bar would have. It is more than loud enough for a medium/large room (I rarely get past half way on the volume) with great bass and it is astonishingly easy to set up, just the one box and then one cable.

The main bug bear about it, is that it isn't quite big enough for the plastic integrated stand on the tv to sit on top(LG 42 inch). The stand overhangs the edges which just doesn't work. It does fit neatly in the main tv unit though. It sits underneath the Sky box and is not detrimental to the sound at all.

Would buy again without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Panasonic., 4 Dec 2013
Even though I am a bit of a label snob I'm so glad that I didn't purchase the Bose equivalent !!.
The Panasonic system has managed to resolve all of the sound reproduction issues associated with my 46 smart TV. With the added features of a compact footprint, ARC,Bluetooth, and a very simple set up it manages for me to tick all the boxes.
However it is not to be confused with a full top end home theatre system! I suspect that if you are an audiophile this is not the system for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why No Connecting Leads?, 24 Dec 2013
This doesn't come with anything other than a power supply lead. So, unless you have your own stock of leads or realised that leads aren't supplied when you bought - and therefore ordered the right lead at the same time - you will need to buy either an optical audio lead or an HDMI one to make it work. Which, for a product in excess of several hundred pounds seems a bit stingy by Panasonic! So, in my case, I couldn't actually use the unit until I had been to the shops, which was a bit of an irritation! I hadn't obviously spotted from the description on Amazon or other product reviews that this was the case.

HDMI connection only works for sound out from TV if you have an ARC (audio return channel) HDMI point on your TV. My 3 years old LED Samsung doesn't, so I needed the optical audio cable to get the unit going. Which, once bought and connected, is fine.

And, now that I have got the unit going, it provides a very pleasant listening experience. I just wanted something neat and simple which would give a much fuller sound from TV and DVD at reasonable cost and without lots of boxes. The quality has exceeded my expectations. Smooth sound with rich, but not boomy, bass. Easy to set up (once you have the right lead!) and operate. It will go far louder than I will ever want. Son streamed some music to it from his iPhone 5 via Bluetooth and the quality was fantastic.

The unit is neat, looks to be well made and fits perfectly under my 32'' TV. No idea if this is better/worse/on a par with similar products from Denon, Bose, LG, Maxell etc, but it does exactly what I wanted. The remote is small and user friendly.

So, in terms of the unit, I like it a lot and have only deducted a star because of the leads annoyance!