4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 13 July 2014
Traffic (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus X79-DELUXE Motherboard (Intel X79, DDR3, S-ATA/600, ATX, Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi, 3x PCI Express 3.0 x16, e-SATA, USB 3.0, UEFI BIOS, Socket 2011) (Accessory)
I purchased this for my X79 build and it's proven to be an excellent motherboard but not without issues.
I have always bought Asus's premium/deluxe motherboards as the feature set is second to none and this board is no exception.
The first one arrived but had to be sent back due to a faulty PWM fan header, this was not due to bent pins or damaged retention placement so was most likely due to poor quality control from Asus. This is nothing new and many customers have complained on the forums about issues just like this.
Amazon replaced it the next day and all worked fine so I continued with the build. The system is now complete and running stable with a 35% overclock applied.
PROS:
The wireless NIC is a great improvement over the last generation on Asus boards as it is now dual stream with 802.11ac support, my connection is 850Mbps to my home hub 5 router. Overclocking is easy as pie on this board and runs cool and stable.
As with all premium/deluxe mainboards there's a serious amount of I/O options and expansion capabilities via PCIe.
CONS:
There are also some very annoying things about this product such as the SATA controller. It is marketed as have 12 SATA ports but they're actually comprised of 3 separate storage controllers, Intel, Marvell and ASmedia. My main problem is with the ASmedia controller (x2 SATA 6G) ports which cannot be used unless AHCI is enabled in the UEFI, as I use RAID they are automatically disabled and become useless to me. I just have to except the loss of 2 SATA 6G ports but I have no idea why Asus implemented the ASmedia controller in this way as it's supposed to be an independent storage controller.
Another annoying niggle is the fact that the motherboard's built in power button, reset and direct key button are at the very bottom which makes it impossible to use if running multi GPU setups as they're pretty much blocked by the second video card.
I'm not sure why Asus couldn't just use the same implementation as seen on the ROG rampage boards which have placed the buttons by the 24 pin ATX connector where they are easily accessible.

Despite some of these design flaws this is still an amazing motherboard with a feature set to rival the more expensive Asus ROG boards. I have used this motherboard to build a high performance workstation and is easily one of the better mainboards available for the X79 platform.

- Recommended

Warranty note:
Asus has recently changed their warranty terms and conditions in Europe so the seller is now fully responsible for the 3 year warranties that come with all Asus motherboards. This means Amazon will handle the RMA in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year.
I have also confirmed this with Amazon and 2 other UK resellers.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value, 28 Jan 2014
A. Ross "gadget freak" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
terrific value with 12 sata ports, saving the cost of a controller card on most boards. Running a 4930k on this at 4600mhz at 1.40 volts. This has some great auto bios features. I just use the offset method, raise the multiplier and leave llc and offset mode on auto. See what voltages that gives you then once stable switch to manual offset and drop the voltage to the lowest possible when stable. I found auto llc worked best and not manually setting it. Anyway rock solid stable out of the box. I do like the switch that lets you reset the memory from the mobo direct if a memory overclock stops you booting. Theres also a switch on the mobo to go directly to the bios without having to hit delete a million times to make sure you get in on boot. Note that the bottom asmedia two sata 6 gbs ports only shows when you are in windows. The marvel ports boot with their own bios. Only the 6 main intel ports show in the main bios.

edit: march 2014
dropped a star on this board. Was dissapointed to discover how poor the marvel controller is. Constantly freezing up with all ports populated and heavy bandwidth usage going on. I have all the sata ports populated and all the other ports (as media and intel) are fine but all four marvel ports freeze up constantly causing a reboot to be made. So would have bene better off buying a seperate hba card which i will have to do now.
Its also not clear how many lanes the marvel controller uses, well not to me anyway. I read it can configured with 1 or 2. I could have tested it with 4 ssds i guess but the bottom line is even with two lanes you will top out at 1gbs, so they may be 4 sata III ports but you can never have full bandwidth at the equivalent of more than 2 full speed ports. Thats not just this board, thats all the many board using this controller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent motherboard for 2011, 7 May 2014
I recently upgraded my processor to a hex core Ivy Bridge chip and while my old motherboard could handle it fine, I had some hard disks loose that I couldn't add due to the lack of SATA headers.

This bad boy has 12 SATA connectors internally, 8 of which are SATA 6gb connectors, so I could add my spare SSD's to it and not worry about any potential bottlenecks.

Coupled with a decent onboard sound chip, built in Wi-FI up to AC and all the connectivity on the back, it may not be the best performing board for gaming like the Rampage, but if you need to add something, you're going to find it very difficult to beat this. Performance wise, I don't think in everyday usage it is any worse than my old Sabertooth board - although I have yet to run 3D Mark to see if there's any difference. But as it stands, I'm very happy with this board.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Pro level Mother board i have bought, 17 Feb 2014
Great product.
Easy installation software. Drivers work flawless.

Overclocking software is a breeze. My 3.7ghz processor is stable at 4.8ghz constantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus X79-Deluxe., 25 Nov 2013
It is very good well worth the money. It is not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Defiantly recommended.