4.0 out of 5 stars Master Of The Genre
Jo Nesbo has once again kept me on the edge of my seat, for a long time. 'Police' is a big book in many ways length is but one aspect. We meet, once again, many of the characters in the novels that lead to this one. This novel is so clever, that what you thought you were comprehending turns out not to be the reality.

It takes almost half of the book before we...
Published 12 months ago by prisrob

3.0 out of 5 stars No no Nesbo
Why do authors spoil the plot with gratuitous sex scenes. Violent ones at that. Harry is an interesting character and would not be tricked by a mental case girl. It is hard to treat the rest of the book seriously after all the rubbish.
Published 1 month ago by marionq

4.0 out of 5 stars Master Of The Genre, 4 Oct 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

It takes almost half of the book before we hear about Harry Hole, again. After his dangerous last venture, will Harry return? The team needs him, someone is killing policemen, a serial killer is on the loose. Their comrades are being slaughtered in such unmentionable ways, but laid out in graphic detail for us to see. Crimes from the past that have not been solved are re-enacted bit by bit, but this time a member of the police as the victim. The new Chief of Police is a man looking out for himself, taking all the credit for the good, and dosing all the bad on his minions. The team is stymied, they need Harry to help them out of this hole.

Time after time just when we think we have an idea of who the serial killer may be, some thing or someone changes the avenue, and we are left trying to figure things out. The media in Oslo plays a very small part in this novel, the Chief of Police is the only one bothered by them. The team needs someone with a wide variety of contacts and friends so that small clues can begin to surface. The small elite team put together by Gunnar Hagen was a secret from the Chief of Police. He has a therapist, wise in the ways of serial killers, Katrine and Beate, who are the minds of the group, and Borjn , this is the best. But, they need Harry Hole with his fine mind to help sift through the clues and put them together.

Jo Nesbo is one of the more clever writers. Explicit, gruesome murder scenes are set up with such skill we can see them in our mind's eye. The characters take turns with their brilliance. The characters we think may be on the outside looking in are, in all actuality, leading the band.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 10-04-13

4.0 out of 5 stars Would I recommend Police - you bet!, 28 Aug 2014
Police continues the excellent series of Harry Hole novels by the wonderful Jo Nesbo. To be frank this isn't the best novel in the series (I have read and enjoyed them all) and it perhaps has more flaws than some of Nesbo's earlier books, however, like all Nesbo's novels its one hell of a story - gripping, jaw dropping, and edge of the seat stuff - perhaps just not quite up the elevated heights of some of his earlier novels.

Would I recommend it - you bet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 7 Oct 2014
(Spoiler warning!)
I've now read all of the Harry Hole books apart from Cockroaches, so this was the 9th if you include The Bat. Nesbo's become a great favourite of mine and I looked forward to Police for months.
To be honest though, while it's a worthwhile read, it's not the best of the series by far. Somehow the storyline has become ultra-convoluted, and some of the relationships between good-guys/ villains/ relations of both, stretch the imagination a notch too far. Likewise, Harry's post-police career role in "Police" is taking a step too far away from the police procedural credibility that enhances the earlier offerings.
Could the chief of police really get away with all of this, for so long?
What are the closing pages implying? A sequel has got to be coming, or if not Nesbo owes us big-time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is Harry ? You may ask at the start., 24 May 2014
B. F. Bailey "Brian" (Herts England) - See all my reviews
I confess that I read this book twice, one right after the other. To get my head around the twists and turns in this plot, I suggest you do the same. This will give you twice the enjoyment. Brian Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Police - Jo Nesbo, 12 Sep 2013
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nesbo has come a long way in the 8 years since The Devil's Star was first translated (and, I for one, was hooked). He's now one of the bestselling crime writers in the country, and regularly tops bestseller lists, rare for translated writers. To do so routinely with every translation is remarkable. And, what is more, this massive popularity is deserved, every whit of it. Nesbo writes the greatest police/crime novels around. Big, bombastic blockbusters with great depth, stuffed with plot and twists.

Police is my favourite since The Redbreast, I think. It's hard to convey quite how gripping Nesbo's books really are, how expertly he crafts his plots. Several plot strands swirl around each other; scenes end at crucial moments so you simply have to keep reading; plot strands veer off in unexpected directions; all of a sudden Nesbo lays a hint that seems to rock everything you thought you'd read before; and from about page 200 twists come thick and fast. There are truly heartstopping moments here, (and a couple of heartbreaking ones). Personally, it's rare that thrillers really, truly grab my pulse and make my heartbeat race (normally, I just enjoy the ride; they rarely affect my physiology) but Nesbo's really, really do.

By the end of this book, which in terms of its crimes is a true festival of horrors, there are plot strands everywhere swirling in a storm (however they are all handled calmly and expertly by the writer), suspect characters behaving suspiciously everywhere you look, and you have no idea how the cards are going to fall and what's going to happen and who's going to come up trumps. The last 50 pages are the most gripping i've come across in a long time. And the final page is quite, quite horrifying. I can't wait to see what he does next.

If you've read Nesbo before you'll need little encouragement to buy this. Rest assured: it's one of the best (though it takes longer than some of the others to get going). If you haven't, start with The Redbreast or The Redeemer (both of which are good entry points into the series). Wonderful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry's Final Case. Or is it?, 17 July 2014
A great fan of the earlier books in the Oslo octet, I felt the ending of number eight and final book in the sequence, was just a bit too tidy and a little far fetched. Having said that, it's still a damn good read with all the normal dark twists and red herrings you expect from Nesbo's writing. Will we see Harry resurrected in the future? So many bits of him are damaged or missing, I don't think he would last for many more investigations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to flawless, 23 Sep 2014
Blue in Washington "Barry Ballow" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Jo Nesbo's unerring skill at creating a high level of tension throughout his crime novels was never more switched on than in "Police". I found myself saying out loud--"uh oh, don't do that" over and over again as one character after another in this stemwinder was about to enter a house, turn around and engage another character, change directions, etc. Virtually every action is fraught with some potential threat. At times Nesbo pulls back, and the danger is revealed to be a miscommunication, red herring or just a reader fake out. But often enough, the hammer does fall, blood is shed and the reader is left gasping for breath.

As more than 650 other reviewers have already revealed, this book is about the death and resurrection (or maybe not) of the estimable Harry Hole, Oslo Police Inspector, locked in a continuing battle with old enemies and one (several) new ones. The author has really loaded this story with a lot of action, reaction and cul de sacs. Great read that will grab you by the throat from page one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good tale, but......, 27 May 2014
The tale is well up to Jo Nesbo's high standard - except that he feels that someone shot through the brain at close range with a 9mm pistol round (plus a chest shot) will survive with a 100% recovery! Believe me, they don't. Harry Hole's "resurrection" took a lot of believing, but if you can put that out of your mind, it's another first-class mystery thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mystery, 23 Sep 2014
What a great thriller writer Jo Nesbo is! Police is no exception.
There are so many twists and turns to the plot. Just when you think you've worked out who did what, there's another twist to show you were completely wrong and another possibility emerges. An excellent and well worked story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled, 2 Sep 2014
A. W. Revell - See all my reviews
Along with Bernie Gunther, Harry Hole is just about my favorite detective in fiction. However, I've just finished Police and enjoyed it, although I am a little puzzled. Am I the only person who thought the patient recovering hospital was Harry - I'm sure that was Nesbo's intention - and puzzled after the patient's death, when Harry turned up lecturing at the PHS?. I knew the patient would turn out not to have been Harry, of course, and everything was belatedly explained on page 220 or so, but I thought that I had perhaps missed a book in the sequence. Easy to do as I started out of sequence and have recently re-read them. Have I missed a book where Harry solves who murdered his colleague Ellen Gjelten and deals with Tom Waler? I've read through the reviews of all the books and none of them mention it.