This is a wonderful collection of Seven of Johnny Mathis' wonderful Classic albums.

84 tracks sung in Johnny's inimitable style.
True the albums are spread over 4 CDs and like the rest of this excellent and bargain priced series the Cds have minimal information but that is the condition you have to accept for the wonderful cost that equates to just one CD.

What makes this collection really wonderful is that Johnny's Christmas LP "Merry Christmas" from 1958 and that is worth the price alone.*

BUT then how would you know which albums are on the collection never mind which tracks because Amazon, like so many in this wonderful series have not given us the track listing.

So this is not a review as such just some information so that potential buyers can actually see what's on the CDs

The sound has been remastered and The Real Gone Music (Jazz) label have received much praise for how they have done this BUT I would urge you to check out more knowledgeable.

The really great news is that there is a companion set volume two that contains 7 other albums of Johnny Mathis.
Of the two it's a tough choice so why not buy both at this bargain price.
14 albums for under twenty?
7 Classic Albums Volume 2

The albums are "Johnny Mathis (1956)",
"Wonderful, Wonderful (1957)",
"Warm (1957)",
"Good Night, Dear Lord (1958)",
"Swing Softly (1958)",
"Merry Christmas (1958)" and
"Open Fire, Two Guitars (1959)".

Track List:

19 Deep River
20 Where Can I Go
21 Eli Eli

[Disc 3]
Good Night, Dear Lord (cont.)
01 Kol Nidre
11 To Be in Love
12 Sweet Lorraine
13 Can't Get out of This Mood
14 I've Got the World on a String
15 Easy to Say (But Hard to Do)
Merry Christmas
16 Winter Wonderland
17 The Christmas Song
18 Sleigh Ride
19 Blue Christmas
20 I'll Be Home for Christmas
21 White Christmas
22 O Holy Night
23 What Child is This (Greensleeves)

[Disc 4]
13 Please Be Kind
14 You'll Never Know
15 I'm Just a Boy in Love
16 My Funny Valentine
17 Oh Little Town of Hessle.

(Have all your Christmases come at once? seems so)
on 12 February 2016
INTRODUCTION:

Johnny Mathis was born on September 30, 1935 in Gilmer, Texas, but raised in San Francisco, California. He was discovered by George Avakian of Columbia Records. He initially recorded as a jazz-styled singer. Columbia A&R executive Mitch Miller switched him to singing pop ballads. Johnny has 53 charted singles on Billboard Hot 100. I have just finished a Complete Singles Discography, and have compiled a total of 132 singles (264 songs, uncharted & uncharted, US & UK) from 1957 to 2003. Amazing feat! He also has 76 charted albums on Billboard 200. In reality, he has released over 100 albums. His label was mainly on Columbia although he founded his own production company, Global Records, for a four-year stay at Mercury Records from 1963 to 1967. On November 17, 2014, a Complete Global Albums Collection box set (13 CDs, covering all 10 previous albums, plus one unreleased and 2 CDs on singles, will be released. As to his vast Columbia album output is another kettle of fish altogether.

CONTENT:

This 4 CD set contains 7 complete albums by Johnny Mathis on Columbia, with 104 songs:

Disc 1:
01 JOHNNY MATHIS (1956)
02 WONDERFUL WONDERFUL (Columbia 1028)(4/1957)
Disc 2:
03 WARM (Columbia 1078)(2/1957)
04 GOOD NIGHT, DEAR LORD (Columbia 1119)(10/1958)
Disc 3:
05 SWING SOFTLY (Columbia 1165)(6/1958)
06 MERRY CHRISTMAS (Columbia 1195)(1958)
Disc 4:
07 OPEN FIRE, TWO GUITARS (Columbia 1270)(4/1959)

POSITIVE POINTS:

1 It is nice to have 7 early Johnny Mathis albums in one set.
2 The sound is very well remastered, clean with no hiss.
3 All the songs are original versions, no re-recorded versions.
4 The price is reasonable, especially from sellers.

NEGATIVE POINTS:

1 There are no bonus tracks. Surely, with a lot of extra space left on the discs, singles of that era (a and b-sides) can be included for added value.
2 There is no booklet, no label & number and chart positions.
3 There are no pictures of album covers.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Real Gone Music, a reputable reissue label from UK, has released 2 Volumes of 7 Classic Albums on Johnny Mathis. (My review of Volume 2 is found elsewhere). Generally, his albums from the 70s and 80s are not available on CDs yet. In this current set, all the albums are familiar to most of us. It is nice to have them all in one set with good sound. If you are a Johnny Mathis fan, this is no brainer. This set is also recommended to all music lovers.
on 9 January 2014
Lovely to hear the music I was brought up with, lost the LP`s I had a long time ago. The remastering is beautifully done and the sound quality excellent. Great to sing along with some old favourites.
on 28 April 2016
Same comments as volume 2.I have bought both volume 1 and 2 together a great way to buy the back issues of the Johnny Mathis albums, well remastered and I would recommend them. My only comment is although they are very reasonably priced there is no booklet or insert to give any details of the albums. I think I would have rather paid a couple of pounds more to have them either in their original cover artwork or a booklet with some information about the albums.
on 22 September 2015
Digitally remastered on 4 CDs I purchased both these collections which at the price were a bargain. I have liked Johnny Mathis for some 50 odd years now this collection of his early works shows the magic of Johnny Mathis at his best.
on 18 January 2014
Amazing bargain-Johnnys earliest Albums are among the finest he has recorded.No frills packaging-absence of any liner notes-but recording quality is first class and in Stereo too!
on 15 April 2016
The best value I've ever seen of Johnny. Great albums at a great price!Highly recommended as is Volume 2!
on 29 July 2015
Great collection of songs, beautifully sung and really inexpensive considering what you are getting.
on 23 April 2015
what an amazing cd. His voice is simply devine. Seven wonderful cds. Love the
songs
on 23 January 2016
Simply fantastic voice , with fantastic music, he is simply one of the best .