1 Review

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the plague! Total and utter rubbish., 29 Jan 2014
Dale A. Haines "master_ice" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Arduino: A Complete Guide (Kindle Edition)
(This is a copy of my review as placed on the Amazon.com website for this book. I haven't changed my view as this will always be a crap publication)

This truly is the worst and most pointless attempt at an Arduino book that I have read. Well I say read but it isn't long enough to constitute having been a "read".
It is truly awful, badly put together and of no benefit to anyone other, possibly than to a marmoset attempting to learn basic electronics.
OK admittedly I have been in the electronics industry for around 50 years and I have seen many, many poor books aimed at being educational (I used to teach electronics by the way).
This simply fails at every level from grammatical and spelling errors to technical errors.
Some of the 'education' is simply drivel. For example to say that "resistors adapt (sic) the colour coded form because they are too small for any text to be written over them" is completely wrong. Surface mount resistors have their values written on them and they are far smaller than normal resistors. The reason was that leaded resistors tend to be tubular and hence writing on them isn't particularly easy so coloured bands we used.
Of course you'll have notice the use of "adapt" where "adopt" was intended?
Probably the WORST thing to my mind was to state ".... resistor 'resists' electricity, limiting the level of voltage that passes through it." Great Blazes ! Does the author have NO basic electronics education?

Voltage does not 'pass through' ANYTHING ! ! ! !

It is current that flows in a circuit, being 'pushed' through the resistor by the voltage applied across it's ends.
This is the simple, bog-standard, basic first grade rule of electronics VOLTAGE DOES NOT FLOW!.

This book is complete and utter GARBAGE and conveys far too many incorrect items of 'knowledge' to the reader.

I suspect that is why this 'thing' is now a freebee download for the kindle but, even for free, it's over priced.
Avoid at all costs!