5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing first novel
Published 7 months ago by Julie Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars They f*** you up, your mum and dad... but grow up!
Look up 'Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse' if you don't get the title.

This is a clever plot that describes the divergent lives of a husband and wife. The husband disappears and makes his socio/psychopathic way around the world, blaming everyone but himself for his callous actions. The wife left behind works hard to make a success of her life and family. Then...
Published 14 months ago by Martin Hellewell

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing first novel, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished this, having read it in less than a day. I write too, and the first thing I noticed was the easy, engaging writing style. It hooked me in to a story that was, in my opinion, well-plotted and well-crafted. Yes, it needs editing, and I can't help thinking that if that were done it may well catch the attention of a publisher. There are some errors regarding the timeline (the reference to Jimmy Saville is too early for this novel, for instance), and there are some typos. But I really liked the jumping around from one period to the next (I like books that move from the past to the present, anyway) and perhaps with different section headings in places, there would be no confusion as to who is 'speaking'.

*Slight spoiler alert * My biggest, and only proper criticisms are first that I feel more could have been done to explain Simon's motivation, particularly with regard to his relationship with Dougie. I think if there were more detail surrounding the boys' friendship (Simon, Steven, Roger and Dougie) and how Catherine 'invaded' this, we might have had to do less 'understanding' of what happened at the end. Motivation is always key, and can be shown rather than hinted at. Basically, I think Dougie should have figured a lot more in the earlier story. Second, I feel that some characterisation of lesser characters could have been fuller, although I think Arthur, Kenneth, Doreen and Shirley were drawn very well indeed (Shirley made me laugh out loud towards the end.)

But back to the good bits, which far outweigh any criticisms: John Marrs can 'write' both genders, something not very many writers can do well. I was as convinced by the voice of Catherine as I was by the voice of Simon. He also writes interestingly and it is most definitely a page-turner. Some reviewers have said the plot is far-fetched. Perhaps, but I bet there are people out there who could tell true-life stories about themselves that are even more outlandish than Simon's adventures!

I have given this book five stars because a) I am in awe of such an accomplished first novel; b) I love the style; c) John Marrs writes women in the first person very well and d) The next one will be even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twister, 22 Jan 2014
GECKO 5 "Landerson" (EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
It was slightly difficult at first to get into the style of this story, jumping back and forth all the time but I am so glad I stuck with it. So many twists and turns and numerous gasps of breath as the story unfolded. All I can say is wow, read it for yourself. This is one I shall read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good tale, 8 Aug 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
Simon walked out of his family home twenty-five years ago, leaving his wife and three small children. His keys, his car, his wallet were all left behind. He just vanished. No sign of their husband and daddy and no body to mourn. It was a total mystery. Then he walked back in. Meanwhile, his wife had rebuilt her life and made herself a good career. The children he abandoned did well in later life. Why did he leave? Generally speaking I find it hard to enjoy a story when I dislike or fail to empathise with the main character. I couldn’t agree with or approve of Simon’s actions but eventually, through the story he tells his ex-wife, who was forced to have him declare dead, we find out the influences on his life which turned him into the man he eventually became.

This is a story which slips back and forth in time and is told from two different points of view. That can be confusing but I didn’t find it so here. Teasingly, the fragments of their history are unfolded and only at the end, as they each give their own point of view, do we see what happened, and how damaged Simon was by his own background. Sometimes, you can’t find an excuse but you can find a reason. Amazingly good tale and I’ll happily read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
OH MY!! This book was beyond incredible. I read it in 3 days, could not put it down. I started it thinking I was going to get so confused with the times of the story, past present etc, but after a couple of chapters I was really hooked. The book actually had me in tears a few times, especially at the end. Oh the twists, suspense was wonderful. I would recommend this book to anyone, I would give this 10 stars if possible!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wronged Sons, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
What can I say? As the story unfolded I could see this as a drama serial or a film.It was written so matter of factly such a powerful story of a fractured life.I don't want to give away the plot but this book is well worth the read.You might want to close your eyes at some parts but don't.It is brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected gem, 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book whilst it was on offer. I didn't have huge expectations as I'd never heard of the book before, but I'm glad I downloaded it. It grasped my interest throughout & I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't think of any book to compare it to, as it was very different to anything I've read before - which is obviously a good thing. Give it a try

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
Fast paced full of emotion and a thought provoking insight into the errors of assumption. Fantastic read could not put down and still thinking about it hours later

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books, 27 Jan 2014
S. Shields - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
I have read in a while .. I couldn't put it down and the story still plays on my mind after finishing the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense to the end. Outstanding., 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
This tale of two lives has been cleverly written.

There are two stories going on over the same period of time but we flit from past to present and from one characters story to the other. The author never quite gives enough information away, so that you keep reading, until the final climax!

I loved the style of writing and would liken it to ' One Step Too Far ' by Tina Seskis.
The title is a little strange ( the phrase is used once within the story) but after you have finished reading you will have loved it so much, the title is a minor detail.

There were a few typos spotted but that didn't stop me from immediately going straight to Kindle store to buy another of John Marrs books.... BUT this is his debut!!!!! I do hope he is writing another book that is as outstanding as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable read, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Wronged Sons (Kindle Edition)
I read the various reviews and almost decided against buying this book. I am so glad I did as it was a terrific read! It may have lacked a little finesse in places but the plot was brilliantly thought out, and the ending was not predictable. This would make a great film too!

The Wronged Sons