4.0 out of 5 stars Another fascinating documentary
I love David Attenborough documentaries and I love insects so I couldnt wait for this to come out.

Published 7 months ago by Laura April

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but full of 'junk'
Published 7 months ago by N. Verity

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but full of 'junk', 9 Dec 2013
N. Verity "nickelpic" (New York USA) - See all my reviews
David Attenborough's name on a nature film usually means first rate entertainment and information. This, however, misses the mark. There are six episodes but each one is only 20 minutes; most episodes begin and end with 2 minutes of 'previously on...' and 'next time on...' so each episodes actually only 16 minutes of actually show. There is a 50 minute "making of" film as bonus material, but it hardly makes up for the short episodes. I wish I had read the reviews and also the fine print. This is kind of a rip off when you compare it to some other Attenborough titles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Micro Monsters? Micro Episodes, 27 Dec 2013
With 3 discs and Attenborough's name to it I had high hopes that I'd be on to a winner. Maybe I've been spoilt by 45 minutes+ per episode of Attenborough's past BBC offerings so I was really disappointed to find that each episode is only around 20 minutes, with 20%+ of that taken up with recapping what we've seen before or showing what's on the following episode.

I'm afraid to say that this feels like a cheap cash in from Sky like much of everything else they do. What also leaves a bitter taste is the recycling of the same imagery, think of Sky news where the same pictures are used over and over to pad out a story.

The imagery that you do briefly see is well worth a watch but there's just not enough of it. The whole series could really be squeezed into 2 episodes. Why it is on 3 discs is beyond me, 1 disc would have been more than enough and also kept the cost down.

If you're interested in this theme of documentary I'd recommend Life in the Undergrowth Life in the Undergrowth (Repackaged) [DVD] the episodes are longer and made to BBC quality rather than a shameless Sky cash-in.

3 stars, purely because Attenborough carries the whole doc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fascinating documentary, 13 Dec 2013

What I liked about this documentary is that there were insects I hadnt seen before. What I didn't like about this was the length of the episodes. It drew me in and I really liked it but they just werent long enough. They averaged on about twenty minutes and I would liked to have seen so much more.

Overall I learnt some new and interesting facts but I definitely would have liked more out of this dvd set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning filmwork, 28 Jan 2014
Stunning filmwork, and decent commentary, all of which I would expect from Attenborough. However, as a hard of hearing person, I was disappointed in the lack of subtitles. I have given it four stars as a result of this.

1.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles and I'm hard of hearing, thanks but no thanks, 27 Feb 2014
M. Manuel "pinguino" (Italy) - See all my reviews
No subtitles and I'm hard of hearing, thanks but no thanks, very inconsiderate specially when Attenborough is at play, why you insist in denying us the pleasure?

3.0 out of 5 stars Micro Monsters, 10 Jan 2014
Dissappointing from David Attenborough. Very short and although very interesting too much time was spent previewing whast happened last time and what will happen next time. Quite repetitive in places. Not usual standard. Sorry

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 12 Dec 2013
Georg Klein (Wien) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Micro Monsters with David Attenborough 3D [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
I never thought that arthropods can be so interesting! And all that in stereoscopic 3D, which makes it much more interesting! Many thanks to David Attenborough and his team!
... and don't miss to see the Making Of!

Georg Klein, Vienna, Austria

3.0 out of 5 stars It can really be halfed length, 30 Nov 2013
Dan Yang (AU) - See all my reviews
This new film from David is just great in content and film making. I have been always enjoying David's nature documentations.

However, the same repetitive dialogues, introductions and conclusions at each episode is just making people tired watching. These intro/endings are also great if we just need to watch once through all the 6 episodes. But watching the same of them in every single episode is tiring. And added the time together, they are nearly half of each episode. Then you have an impression of watching the same thing over and over. I have to FF all of them to see the real new contents.

So please... these are great films, they don't need the same thing over and over again to fill the time. They would still be in perfect consistency. Just make them same as other David's films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 July 2014
Good present

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 13 July 2014
Paul "KingRat" (Canterbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I didn't like this series as much as I expected. Was it just me?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›