Format: DVD|Change

on 27 December 2013
With 3 discs and Attenborough's name to it I had high hopes that I'd be on to a winner. Maybe I've been spoilt by 45 minutes+ per episode of Attenborough's past BBC offerings so I was really disappointed to find that each episode is only around 20 minutes, with 20%+ of that taken up with recapping what we've seen before or showing what's on the following episode.

I'm afraid to say that this feels like a cheap cash in from Sky like much of everything else they do. What also leaves a bitter taste is the recycling of the same imagery, think of Sky news where the same pictures are used over and over to pad out a story.

The imagery that you do briefly see is well worth a watch but there's just not enough of it. The whole series could really be squeezed into 2 episodes. Why it is on 3 discs is beyond me, 1 disc would have been more than enough and also kept the cost down.

If you're interested in this theme of documentary I'd recommend Life in the Undergrowth Life in the Undergrowth (Repackaged) [DVD] the episodes are longer and made to BBC quality rather than a shameless Sky cash-in.

3 stars, purely because Attenborough carries the whole doc.
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2013
David Attenborough's name on a nature film usually means first rate entertainment and information. This, however, misses the mark. There are six episodes but each one is only 20 minutes; most episodes begin and end with 2 minutes of 'previously on...' and 'next time on...' so each episodes actually only 16 minutes of actually show. There is a 50 minute "making of" film as bonus material, but it hardly makes up for the short episodes. I wish I had read the reviews and also the fine print. This is kind of a rip off when you compare it to some other Attenborough titles.
on 3 August 2014
The photoraphy is great, the material is very interesting (not the remake of stuff David Attenborough made before, although the topics are the same - courtship, reproduction, life in a colony, dealing with predators and competitors) and the music is perfect (mostly orchestra), I cannot call it a first class documentary. Each episode starts with the same intoduction and ends with either the preview of what will happen next or a recapping of what you have just seen with the same bits of footage. I found it very annoying, especially if you watch three or four episodes in a row. It looks like a cheap trick to make shockingly short episodes (just 20 minutes each) appear longer. And why couldn't they fit them all on just one disk? I can't think of any other reason except that Sky wanted to sell it for more. Would still recommend it to insect lovers, but only at a low price.
on 13 December 2013
I love David Attenborough documentaries and I love insects so I couldnt wait for this to come out.

What I liked about this documentary is that there were insects I hadnt seen before. What I didn't like about this was the length of the episodes. It drew me in and I really liked it but they just werent long enough. They averaged on about twenty minutes and I would liked to have seen so much more.

Overall I learnt some new and interesting facts but I definitely would have liked more out of this dvd set.
on 10 January 2014
Dissappointing from David Attenborough. Very short and although very interesting too much time was spent previewing whast happened last time and what will happen next time. Quite repetitive in places. Not usual standard. Sorry
on 28 January 2014
Stunning filmwork, and decent commentary, all of which I would expect from Attenborough. However, as a hard of hearing person, I was disappointed in the lack of subtitles. I have given it four stars as a result of this.
Micro Monsters with David Attenborough [DVD]
I am extremely disappointed with these DVDs! David Attenborough, in general, makes films about Nature, running for about 45 to 50 minutes. The episodes of “Micro-Monsters” run, at most, for 20 minutes! If it is discounted the episode introduction (always the same) and the final credits, not to mention that David advances some footage of the next episode, each program runs for about 16 minutes (extremely short), which multiplied by 6 episodes the result is a period of 96 minutes, quite diferente from what it is informed to customers, i.e., a running time of 180 minutes! This means that 3 DVDs seems a selling manouvre for customers purchase 3 DVDs instead of 1, where the 6 episodes will fit porperly. In addition, many, many scenes are not new: the flytrap-venus, the nuptial cannibalism of Mantis, the life of spiders, wasp larvae sucking the fluid of alive insects, the life of leaf-cutter ants… Although interesting, we are fed up with those scenes… please show us new ones! The episodes are so short that they seem those ones used to fill gaps in TV emissions, between two large programs. I do care a lot about David; otherwise, I would ask my money back.
on 30 November 2013
This new film from David is just great in content and film making. I have been always enjoying David's nature documentations.

However, the same repetitive dialogues, introductions and conclusions at each episode is just making people tired watching. These intro/endings are also great if we just need to watch once through all the 6 episodes. But watching the same of them in every single episode is tiring. And added the time together, they are nearly half of each episode. Then you have an impression of watching the same thing over and over. I have to FF all of them to see the real new contents.

So please... these are great films, they don't need the same thing over and over again to fill the time. They would still be in perfect consistency. Just make them same as other David's films.
on 4 February 2014
Great really enjoyed this but only complaint, don't know why it has to be on three disc's there are only 3 episodes on disc 1 and two episodes on disc 2 and 3 seems really odd as I see no reason why they could not have been put on just one or two.
on 7 June 2014
I am bored with bears, lions, birds and whales. This is a refreshing look at other more hidden life on this planet. But I have to admit, it is creepy and you'll find yourself making "yucky" faces throughout the episodes.