Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.49

on 4 November 2014
I am a big fan of both the Bagshawe sisters and only the long list of books on my kindle, waiting to be read, prevented me from buying this the minute it was published.
The story for me was a bit formulaic, girl from nowhere pulls herself up by her boot strings, is hugely successful, makes a few enemies along the way and gets kicked back down by them, before she dusts herself down and makes good again.
Dina Kane was a little bit too good to be true, very beautiful, very good, very worthy, nevertheless I loved her!
Everything happened a bit too easily for her, coped with the knock backs, came back even better and brighter, but I still loved her!
A few loose ends for me, her mothers reaction to her success and relationship, ditto Ludos reaction but I suppose that can be left to the readers imagination.
This book rehashes some of the themes of previous novels by Louise Bagshawe but I preferred it to Passion and Desire, where the author introduced a thriller element to her books and turned the heroines into a female version of James Bond!
This is not a deep, thought provoking read, not much here for a book club discussion, but as a beach or poolside read, or a snuggled up in front of the fire weekend afternoon read you cant go wrong 10/10.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 April 2015
Dina Kane, a girl growing up with a mother who cared so little for her and a brother she loves dearly who now has his own set of problems. As a young, ambitious and beautiful woman all Dina wants more than anything else is to be a success in the business world. Her rise to the top is met with many obstacles, especially the one by a man due to circumstances prevailing is out to exact his revenge on Dina.
An enjoyable read from start to finish.
on 18 June 2014
'Beauty' tells the story of Dina Kane, a beauty lover who grows from nothing into a successful woman and how she defeats the person trying to destroy what she has worked for. The book is a really enjoyable and fun read and I enjoyed the plot and that there was an emotional tie with the story of Johnny as well as the more light hearted and fun aspects of the book. There is a lot of talk about make-up and applying make-up but I felt that it was fitting with the book and added to the plot rather than detracted from it. i also enjoyed imagining all the different cosmetics that were being used and how the characters faces were being transformed. As the book tells Dina's life from baby to mid-twenties some aspects are rushed that maybe should have had a bit more time dedicated to them but overall I felt that it was well balanced. The characters are likeable and enjoyable to read about as well. Overall this is a fantastic enjoyable read.
on 16 January 2014
I would like to thank Emily at Headline for sending me a copy of Beauty to review, I really appreciate it.

MUST. REMAIN. CALM. Ok, this was INCREDIBLE! Aggghhhhhh, I'm not going to stay calm at all am I? I'm not even sorry.

I will be honest, when I first read the synopsis I wasn't sure it was my sort of book, but I was excited to give it a go because sometimes you find real gems that way, and boy did I find a real gem of a book.

The whole story is about Dina and how she refuses to be anything other than successful in life. Brought into the world by parents who never wanted her, she is lonely and unloved from the beginning apart from her older brother who adores her. Never shown any love from her mother, she has had to make her own way in life. Her brother got private school and had uni paid for him, Dina wasn't so lucky. Through sheer hard work and determination Dina is a success in school.

At sixteen, Dina convinces her mother to part with money in order for her to leave home and never come back. Dina sets off for Manhattan and finds a crummy little flat and a job waitressing in a run down little cafe. It's not long before Dina turns both her flat and the cafe around. This pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the book.

Working hard and getting noticed Dina goes from job to job, with the ability to turn them around and have them making real money. The same is said for her homes, after completely redesigning the first one, she buys it then sells it at a profit, slowly making her way up the property ladder.

Dina Kane isn't someone people say no too, she always gets what she wants. But nothing comes particularly easy and she works HARD. But now someone is out to ruin her for good and Dina Kane isn't the kind of girl who will sit back and allow that to happen.

I LOVED Dina Kane, I thought she was fantastic. She was incredibly beautiful, which was as much of a good advantage and is was a disadvantage. Girls were jealous (even her own mother) and men wanted her. I particularly loved her bond with her brother, she would do (and did) anything for him. She could of resented the way he got everything handed to him on a plate in life but she didn't. I admired the way she demanded the things she wanted in life and went out there and made something of herself through hard work.

To say I loved this would be an understatement. It was one of those books that once you started, you couldn't be away from it. It was highly addictive and full on from beginning to end.

It had drama, scandal and glamour. It was engrossing and throughly enjoyable.

This is the first book I've read by Louise (I know she has novels under Louise Bagshawe also) and I've enjoyed it so much I plan on making my way through every book she has written.

I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK. LOVED IT!
22 comments7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 January 2014
I haven't read many of Louise Mensch (better known as Louise Bagshawe) books, but the last one I read was pretty good. If I'm honest I didin't realise for a while that Louise Mensch and Louise Bagshawe were one and the same. When I picked this up I hadn't bothered reading the synopsis, and just dived right in. It didn't take long for the story to drag me right down with it and before too long I realised that I had read half the book in one sitting. I started to figure this book was going to be a good read.

The story centres on Dina Kane and trust me the girl does not have an easy start in life. As opposed to a loving and positive home she is born into a world where her father works all the time and her mother resents her. With that in mind the story unfolds and we see Dina struggle in her childhood. The book is set over a few years and as the chapters flew by I couldn't help loathing Dina's family. On the other hand I can't honestly say that I warmed to Dina that much either. She is a tough girl and although I didn't dislike her, it was hard to warm to a young woman that has to play hardball to get where she wants to be in life.

The story had me gripped as we see Dina grow up and try to conquer the business world. The story is weaved in a way that makes you want to read more and although Dina wasn't maybe my favourite character, I just couldn't help but will her on in her quest. The story is certainly worthy of a read and for fans of Bagshawe I don't think they will be disappointed. I for one, will certainly be continuing to read her work as I thoroughly enjoyed this and literally couldn't put it down. My only reasoning for the 4 out of 5 rather than the maximum is the fact that I just didn't like Dina as much as maybe I should have. Other than that this was a fantastic read.
on 11 August 2014
I found it entertaining, strangely insightful (about the beauty industry) and fun. The main character isn't wholly likeable, but in a way that makes her more real. I enjoyed the Beauty ride and it's the first Louise Bagshawe/Mensch I've read. I want to read more, but kinda apprehensive because it's the most up-to-date and I like its modernity. Would I miss that with her earlier books? Overall, a good, light read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2014
I always enjoy a Louise Mensch (Bagshawe) book, perfect glossy read.

When this started it was a little of a tried and tested style, poor girl from wrong side of the tracks does good - starting with being wronged by a man and then halfway through meeting 'the one'--- but you know what, if that's her style, stick with it.

An very enjoyable read, perfect for the summer holiday!
on 26 September 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.I have read quite a few by this author,they never seem to dissapoint me.
on 5 February 2014
An avid Bagshawe/ Mensch reader, Beauty harks back to Career Girls and A Kept Woman, two of my favourites, which I've read again and again.

The only thing I wanted more of is the relationship between Joel and Dina and would have loved the story to have been extended so as to include more of them together. Other than that, a thoroughly good read, I'd have read it in a day if I didn't have a five month old baby to attend to!
on 7 July 2014
Having read Career Girls when I was 15 (I'm 33 now), I was addicted to Louise Bagshawe. She is definitely back to her best with Beauty after the disappointing previous novels such as Passion which were bordering on the ridiculous. I enjoyed Beauty so much, it was definitely a welcome return of one of my favourite authors. Good to have you back Louise!