5.0 out of 5 stars TOP SCORES
After exhaustively surveying the market for a new phone, I moved straight from my Samsung Galaxy S2 to this truly amazing Note 3. My search for a big screen phone included exploring many fantastic models but I then narrowed it down to the equivalent in HTC, LG, Sony, and Samsung.

It turned out to be a wise wait - and a great choice!

The Note 3 is...
Published 4 months ago by tommyboo

The phone was exactly as described, is wonderful in every way. Excellent quality etc etc. Purchased from Amazon UK themselves (Warehouse Deals) to avoid any trouble with dodgy marketplace sellers. - Who would have thought Amazon UK themselves are the dodgy sellers.

Published 15 months ago by Albert Currystein

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchased from Amazon UK - Received phone from Malaysia/Saudi Arabia/United Arab Emirates, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)

After receiving the device I noticed it said "United Arab Emirates" under Settings -> About Device. On the box it says "Model: SM-N9005ZKEBTU" which I now know to be a lie, even though the phone came with a UK charger. I contacted Samsung, they checked the IMEI and informed me the device was originally from Malaysia.

I then typed *#1234# into the keypad, and searched the CSC number on sammobile.com, this reported that the device was from Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates.

Samsung informed me I have no warranty except in the country of origin, and that I would have trouble with updates since it was not a UK phone. All Amazon could do was offer me a refund and not tell me why I was misled, mis-sold, and their item description a misrepresentation. At the time of writing there are no equivalent devices on the Warehouse Deals, so accepting a refund means I lose a perfect specimen of a phone since I cannot purchase another. If I wait until there is another device on Warehouse Deals there is no way of knowing whether that one will be a UK model or not since Amazon UK are plain and simple lying about where the devices are coming from.

You have been warned. I hope someone from Amazon replies to this with a better reply than simply offering me a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT NEW AS DESCRIBED, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
Seals stating European model sim compatibility and imei number not original. Screen protector was replaced with bits of dust and bubbles underneath. After realising this wasn't new but used, i checked more... realised that the fake seal stating european model etc was put over a previous seal that was taken off as you can still see the sticky outline of the previous seal on the side of the box. The barcode with the IMEI was fake as it does not show samsung logo or serial number etc. On top of the fake IMEI label was another barcode label covering it. I found 2 extremely small scrunched up pieces of the original IMEI seal (I'M GUESSING) stuck inside one corner of the cover. WHAT A POOR ATTEMPT TO TRY AND TRICK PEOPLE INTO THINKING IT WAS A NEW SEALED BOX!!! This was fulfilled by amazon so i would like then to investigate further!

3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - Grey Imports, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
I have just found out today that my phone is from the Philippines (or Malaysia). If you got this phone without a sticker that talks about the region lock then yes you won't have a locked phone (they don't lock the Philippines ones) but you will lose your UK warranty as Samsung have told me that I'd need to send it to the country of purchase.

Whilst I was happy to see that not all phones were region locked they this isn't acceptable to me. Currently Samsung have asked me to provide the IEMI number to confirm it's origin and I will report here if they deem it to be in warranty here.

How do you know your phone is not from the EU?

1) Was there no sticker on the box that said this is locked to the EU till you activate it with a EU sim first?

2) Key in the following into the phone keypad *#1234#
You will get 3 pieces of information - here is mine

AP: N9005XXUBMJ1
CP: N9005XXUBMJ1
CSC:N9005OLBBMI3

Go to Sammobile.com and type in the CSC number in the search box for firmware and the country of origin will show up.

The above firmware comes up as the Phillipines (global).

Amazon have informed me that if you buy direct from them can they guarantee that you will get an EU phone with a valid warranty. All those that think they are saving money by buying under 500 have to weigh this decision against the probability that if you have a problem you are going to have to send it back to Asia and Samsung have only suggested they will help.

You have been warned. I bought mine from Tedrex btw, take your chances from any of the others as these sellers don't seem to have any now.

UPDATE: Well after several emails back and forth with Samsung service center (where they contradicted themselves a couple of times) I have had it finally spelled out for me that they will refuse to service my phone in the UK if it goes wrong. I will have to send it all the way back to Malasia which I think is unacceptable. I really wish that Amazon would stop these market sellers from selling grey imports and deceiving people into believing they are getting a valid UK product

1.0 out of 5 stars Returning my phone ... Known issues with Wifi, 9 Feb. 2014
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777 - Born again Diver" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
Was delighted with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 until I started to notice my phone wasn't updating anywhere near as frequently as my iPhone 4s. I checked to see what the problem was and I noticed it was continuously trying to access the phone network to download email etc. while at home. So why wasn't it using the Wi-Fi in my house? I checked and after a few days I realised more and more it was reporting that it had not connected to the wi-fi network as it claims "Network strength was too low" or "Network not available" or "Network unstable". Well I have to say I have 2 networks in my house both routers fed by fibre with 120Mb from Virgin. Given the phone is sat next to the wireless router and that every other ipad, Apple TV and PC in my house functions fine I decided to see what this was all about.

Going online to various forums I found that this is a well known fault with the NOTE 3.

Samsung have not addressed this but people who have Note3's and friends with S4's are reporting being sat side by side and the Note3 not being able to connect while their friend with a 4S is able to connect and were running just fine.
I'm retunring my Note 3 and swapping out for a S4 which is a real shame.

Not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP SCORES, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)

It turned out to be a wise wait - and a great choice!

The Note 3 is loaded with useful gadgets and gimmicks but I score the popular features as follows:

SCREEN - 10/10
CAMERA - 10/10
SPEAKERS - 9/10
HANDLING - 9/10
SPEED - 9/10
BATTERY - 10/10

If you're agonising over what to get (as I did), I strongly recommend the Note 3. Other than its bewildering performance, I haven't been able to find any faults or defects so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim for such a bloated phone, 25 April 2015
Mark D. Parrott "Dadneo" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
This super fast, perfectly proportioned phone is brilliant.

It is very clear for making calls, and the big display means that I don't need to to reach for my glasses every time a txt arrives.

In good light I use its camera in preference to my £3000 DSLR. Indoors however the small sensor's inability to capture low light images often forces use of the inbuilt flash, which coupled with the poor contrast resolution produces naff results.

I often use the phone to edit and process the images, which it does with ease.

I have added a 64GB MicroSD to the phone, and have yet to run out of space, even though it hosts my music collections, and runs apps like TomTom Navigation which carries around 3GB's of maps.

The battery life is excellent, I charge it each day, and carry a spare battery. The spare is rarely used, and is mainly just for insurance if I leave it on accidentally. Typically I listen to music via Bluetooth, and read a book using the kindle app two or three times a day, and forget to charge overnight and the single battery lasts easily two days. Occasionally I have pushed it to four days,a nd I am sure if you just used it as a phone it would last even longer, but its strength is that it is almost a laptop replacement.

It does seem to have some software glitches. Occasionally I find a restart will upgrade my H signal to a 4G, and the auto light sensor seems to get confused after using some apps, but these issue are small potatoes compared to the HTC Sensation I had previously, that ground to a halt unless I did a factory reset once in a while.

It is full of bloat-ware, so you will waste a bit of your life disabling it, and cursing the stuff you cannot. I have disabled these, and the phone works fine...

Bloomberg+
Talkback
Trip Advisor
Yahoo! Finance
YouTube

and the above are just the ones I could disable. Lots more I wish I could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation. How to region unlock your Note 3., 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
UPDATE 12/13: The region lock is deactivated after 5 minutes worth of voice calls. See here: [...]. I have used this method on a further two handsets and both are now unlocked. However, this method did fail initially on one handset (the sim error message appeared), presumably because it was not connected to the net or had insufficient time to do its thing. I made another 5 minute call, but this time, connected to the net and left the UK sim in the handset for a couple of hours and it eventually unlocked.

I travel a lot so I was worried that the Note 3 would not work with local sims in the regions I travel to. However, after reading the (poorly worded) statements from Samsung, and various user reviews, I was reasonably confident that I could unlock the handset. As soon it arrived, I inserted my UK 3 SIM card and used the handset for 2.5 days. I made a few calls, did a little surfing and received a few texts. It was very light use.

Today, I swapped in my HK 3 SIM card, and it works fine: the handset is unlocked!

To region unlock your phone you need to follow Samsung's instructions, sort of. The very first SIM card you insert must come from the same region as the handset, so for example, you must use a European SIM in a European handset. This is all clear from Samsung's statement(s). I believe the crucial part, is to leave the SIM card in the handset for a few days. Making calls etc may or may not help the activation procedure. I made 7 minutes worth of calls. After a few days, insert a SIM from a different region and you should find that the region lock has been released.

Apart from this minor inconvenience (for which it loses one star), the Note 3 is a great phone.

+ Beautiful screen: sharp, bright, great colour, deep blacks and wide viewing angles.
+ Very fast: everything flies. There is no lag whatsoever and everything loads instantly.
+ Long battery life. I can easily get a day's use out of this without charging. Typically, I surf for a few hours, listen to music and I am on messaging services for most of the day.
+ Camera takes beautiful shots in good light.
+ 4K video recording looks stunning with a sharp and detailed picture.
+ Great sound quality from the headphone jack. With my Shure E4Cs, the sound is clear with deep, but not artificial, sounding bass and sweet treble.
+ Excellent call quality, clean and clear.
+ Feels great in the hand. The handset feels solid with no creaks or squeaks anywhere. The new back cover design feels much nicer and less slippery than the hyperglaze Samsung used to use. It is large, but one hand use is possible with the software customisations that Samsung has implemented. However, this handset really requires the use of two hands.
+ Keyboard accuracy (with Swype and conventional typing) is now as good as the iPhone; the big screen certainly helps.
+ S Pen adds real functionality to the phone and gives otherwise gimmiky features such as Air View a reason to exist. Handwriting recognition is extremely accurate , and there is no lag at all between moving the pen and the ink trail appearing on the screen.
+ Multi tasking (via Multi Window and Pen Window) is excellent and makes use of the big screen. This is about as close to laptop multi tasking as you'll get on a mobile phone! As with the S pen, Samsung has really tried to make use of the Note's hardware and there is real functionality here.
+ Regular firmware updates. Several have been released in the last month.
+ 24 month manufacturer's warranty (assuming you buy the official UK/European model from Amazon or another authorised dealer, which excludes most Market Place sellers).

- Camera has severe shutter lag/slow auto focus, so you will miss shots, and get lots of blurry shots, in anything less than perfect light. Shutter reaction time/auto focus is nowhere as good as an iPhone, but not as bad as the Galaxy S4. Files seem to take an age to process as well.
- 4K video recording doesn't have optical image stabilisation, so video shake can be a problem.
- Vertical lines sometimes appear during video recording and are recorded onto the video itself.
- Chrome trim around the sides of the handset looks cheap on close inspection and nobody would mistake it for metal. It also marks and scratches easily.
- Questionable quality control on some units. Both of my units have wobbly home buttons, and one also has a small gap running along the entire length of the right-hand side of the screen between the glass and chrome bezel. Not deal breakers by any means, but not what you expect on a handset costing this much.
- Too much superfluous software and features. Much of the software is already offered by Google, and features such as Air Gestures, which works much better here than on the S4, are still a bit pointless because there are quicker ways of achieving the same result.
- Not all useless software can be disabled in the Applications Manager.
- Speaker sounds tinny.
- Some bugs still exist despite several firmware updates. For example, fullscreen mode still does not work on the Samsung internet browser (Chrome is fine though); Gallery still crashes with some files; Blocking Mode does not silence Whatsapp notifications, and the screen has an annoying habit of timing out even as you're touching it (particularly on the lock screen).
- "Unauthorised attempts to access system" error messages do not identify the app that is attempting to access the system.

5.0 out of 5 stars super note 3, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
Top of the range phone. Got more power Then some lap top and features. The s-pen Makes day to day tasks so much easier. Bright big screen is one of the best thing about it. Fast, slick, and stylish.

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm, 4 May 2014
Great phone
3g/4g
3bg ram
2.22ghz cpu
13mp full hd camera with 2k support

BUMP
3g keeps dropping out and now can only get half a day out of the battery and this is only after a month what's it going to be like after 12!!!!
Samsung are dropping really bad
ive sent an email to Samsung about my problem and im waiting for a reply, ill update my review "when" i get a reply.

3.0 out of 5 stars rreturned, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
it was locked to a french sim and i had to return it i was very disappoinred i eventually bought it from phones u some of the providers are not good hence cheap phones

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black