4.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation. How to region unlock your Note 3.
Published 15 months ago by KWL

The phone was exactly as described, is wonderful in every way. Excellent quality etc etc. Purchased from Amazon UK themselves (Warehouse Deals) to avoid any trouble with dodgy marketplace sellers. - Who would have thought Amazon UK themselves are the dodgy sellers.

Published 12 months ago by Albert Currystein

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchased from Amazon UK - Received phone from Malaysia/Saudi Arabia/United Arab Emirates, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)

After receiving the device I noticed it said "United Arab Emirates" under Settings -> About Device. On the box it says "Model: SM-N9005ZKEBTU" which I now know to be a lie, even though the phone came with a UK charger. I contacted Samsung, they checked the IMEI and informed me the device was originally from Malaysia.

I then typed *#1234# into the keypad, and searched the CSC number on sammobile.com, this reported that the device was from Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates.

Samsung informed me I have no warranty except in the country of origin, and that I would have trouble with updates since it was not a UK phone. All Amazon could do was offer me a refund and not tell me why I was misled, mis-sold, and their item description a misrepresentation. At the time of writing there are no equivalent devices on the Warehouse Deals, so accepting a refund means I lose a perfect specimen of a phone since I cannot purchase another. If I wait until there is another device on Warehouse Deals there is no way of knowing whether that one will be a UK model or not since Amazon UK are plain and simple lying about where the devices are coming from.

You have been warned. I hope someone from Amazon replies to this with a better reply than simply offering me a refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE - Grey Imports, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
I have just found out today that my phone is from the Philippines (or Malaysia). If you got this phone without a sticker that talks about the region lock then yes you won't have a locked phone (they don't lock the Philippines ones) but you will lose your UK warranty as Samsung have told me that I'd need to send it to the country of purchase.

Whilst I was happy to see that not all phones were region locked they this isn't acceptable to me. Currently Samsung have asked me to provide the IEMI number to confirm it's origin and I will report here if they deem it to be in warranty here.

How do you know your phone is not from the EU?

1) Was there no sticker on the box that said this is locked to the EU till you activate it with a EU sim first?

2) Key in the following into the phone keypad *#1234#
You will get 3 pieces of information - here is mine

AP: N9005XXUBMJ1
CP: N9005XXUBMJ1
CSC:N9005OLBBMI3

Go to Sammobile.com and type in the CSC number in the search box for firmware and the country of origin will show up.

The above firmware comes up as the Phillipines (global).

Amazon have informed me that if you buy direct from them can they guarantee that you will get an EU phone with a valid warranty. All those that think they are saving money by buying under 500 have to weigh this decision against the probability that if you have a problem you are going to have to send it back to Asia and Samsung have only suggested they will help.

You have been warned. I bought mine from Tedrex btw, take your chances from any of the others as these sellers don't seem to have any now.

UPDATE: Well after several emails back and forth with Samsung service center (where they contradicted themselves a couple of times) I have had it finally spelled out for me that they will refuse to service my phone in the UK if it goes wrong. I will have to send it all the way back to Malasia which I think is unacceptable. I really wish that Amazon would stop these market sellers from selling grey imports and deceiving people into believing they are getting a valid UK product

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT NEW AS DESCRIBED, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
Seals stating European model sim compatibility and imei number not original. Screen protector was replaced with bits of dust and bubbles underneath. After realising this wasn't new but used, i checked more... realised that the fake seal stating european model etc was put over a previous seal that was taken off as you can still see the sticky outline of the previous seal on the side of the box. The barcode with the IMEI was fake as it does not show samsung logo or serial number etc. On top of the fake IMEI label was another barcode label covering it. I found 2 extremely small scrunched up pieces of the original IMEI seal (I'M GUESSING) stuck inside one corner of the cover. WHAT A POOR ATTEMPT TO TRY AND TRICK PEOPLE INTO THINKING IT WAS A NEW SEALED BOX!!! This was fulfilled by amazon so i would like then to investigate further!

1.0 out of 5 stars Returning my phone ... Known issues with Wifi, 9 Feb. 2014
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777 - Born again Diver" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
Was delighted with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 until I started to notice my phone wasn't updating anywhere near as frequently as my iPhone 4s. I checked to see what the problem was and I noticed it was continuously trying to access the phone network to download email etc. while at home. So why wasn't it using the Wi-Fi in my house? I checked and after a few days I realised more and more it was reporting that it had not connected to the wi-fi network as it claims "Network strength was too low" or "Network not available" or "Network unstable". Well I have to say I have 2 networks in my house both routers fed by fibre with 120Mb from Virgin. Given the phone is sat next to the wireless router and that every other ipad, Apple TV and PC in my house functions fine I decided to see what this was all about.

Going online to various forums I found that this is a well known fault with the NOTE 3.

Samsung have not addressed this but people who have Note3's and friends with S4's are reporting being sat side by side and the Note3 not being able to connect while their friend with a 4S is able to connect and were running just fine.
I'm retunring my Note 3 and swapping out for a S4 which is a real shame.

Not recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation. How to region unlock your Note 3., 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
UPDATE 12/13: The region lock is deactivated after 5 minutes worth of voice calls. See here: [...]. I have used this method on a further two handsets and both are now unlocked. However, this method did fail initially on one handset (the sim error message appeared), presumably because it was not connected to the net or had insufficient time to do its thing. I made another 5 minute call, but this time, connected to the net and left the UK sim in the handset for a couple of hours and it eventually unlocked.

I travel a lot so I was worried that the Note 3 would not work with local sims in the regions I travel to. However, after reading the (poorly worded) statements from Samsung, and various user reviews, I was reasonably confident that I could unlock the handset. As soon it arrived, I inserted my UK 3 SIM card and used the handset for 2.5 days. I made a few calls, did a little surfing and received a few texts. It was very light use.

Today, I swapped in my HK 3 SIM card, and it works fine: the handset is unlocked!

To region unlock your phone you need to follow Samsung's instructions, sort of. The very first SIM card you insert must come from the same region as the handset, so for example, you must use a European SIM in a European handset. This is all clear from Samsung's statement(s). I believe the crucial part, is to leave the SIM card in the handset for a few days. Making calls etc may or may not help the activation procedure. I made 7 minutes worth of calls. After a few days, insert a SIM from a different region and you should find that the region lock has been released.

Apart from this minor inconvenience (for which it loses one star), the Note 3 is a great phone.

+ Beautiful screen: sharp, bright, great colour, deep blacks and wide viewing angles.
+ Very fast: everything flies. There is no lag whatsoever and everything loads instantly.
+ Long battery life. I can easily get a day's use out of this without charging. Typically, I surf for a few hours, listen to music and I am on messaging services for most of the day.
+ Camera takes beautiful shots in good light.
+ 4K video recording looks stunning with a sharp and detailed picture.
+ Great sound quality from the headphone jack. With my Shure E4Cs, the sound is clear with deep, but not artificial, sounding bass and sweet treble.
+ Excellent call quality, clean and clear.
+ Feels great in the hand. The handset feels solid with no creaks or squeaks anywhere. The new back cover design feels much nicer and less slippery than the hyperglaze Samsung used to use. It is large, but one hand use is possible with the software customisations that Samsung has implemented. However, this handset really requires the use of two hands.
+ Keyboard accuracy (with Swype and conventional typing) is now as good as the iPhone; the big screen certainly helps.
+ S Pen adds real functionality to the phone and gives otherwise gimmiky features such as Air View a reason to exist. Handwriting recognition is extremely accurate , and there is no lag at all between moving the pen and the ink trail appearing on the screen.
+ Multi tasking (via Multi Window and Pen Window) is excellent and makes use of the big screen. This is about as close to laptop multi tasking as you'll get on a mobile phone! As with the S pen, Samsung has really tried to make use of the Note's hardware and there is real functionality here.
+ Regular firmware updates. Several have been released in the last month.
+ 24 month manufacturer's warranty (assuming you buy the official UK/European model from Amazon or another authorised dealer, which excludes most Market Place sellers).

- Camera has severe shutter lag/slow auto focus, so you will miss shots, and get lots of blurry shots, in anything less than perfect light. Shutter reaction time/auto focus is nowhere as good as an iPhone, but not as bad as the Galaxy S4. Files seem to take an age to process as well.
- 4K video recording doesn't have optical image stabilisation, so video shake can be a problem.
- Vertical lines sometimes appear during video recording and are recorded onto the video itself.
- Chrome trim around the sides of the handset looks cheap on close inspection and nobody would mistake it for metal. It also marks and scratches easily.
- Questionable quality control on some units. Both of my units have wobbly home buttons, and one also has a small gap running along the entire length of the right-hand side of the screen between the glass and chrome bezel. Not deal breakers by any means, but not what you expect on a handset costing this much.
- Too much superfluous software and features. Much of the software is already offered by Google, and features such as Air Gestures, which works much better here than on the S4, are still a bit pointless because there are quicker ways of achieving the same result.
- Not all useless software can be disabled in the Applications Manager.
- Speaker sounds tinny.
- Some bugs still exist despite several firmware updates. For example, fullscreen mode still does not work on the Samsung internet browser (Chrome is fine though); Gallery still crashes with some files; Blocking Mode does not silence Whatsapp notifications, and the screen has an annoying habit of timing out even as you're touching it (particularly on the lock screen).
- "Unauthorised attempts to access system" error messages do not identify the app that is attempting to access the system.

5.0 out of 5 stars super note 3, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
Top of the range phone. Got more power Then some lap top and features. The s-pen Makes day to day tasks so much easier. Bright big screen is one of the best thing about it. Fast, slick, and stylish.

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm, 4 May 2014
Great phone
3g/4g
3bg ram
2.22ghz cpu
13mp full hd camera with 2k support

BUMP
3g keeps dropping out and now can only get half a day out of the battery and this is only after a month what's it going to be like after 12!!!!
Samsung are dropping really bad
ive sent an email to Samsung about my problem and im waiting for a reply, ill update my review "when" i get a reply.

3.0 out of 5 stars rreturned, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
it was locked to a french sim and i had to return it i was very disappoinred i eventually bought it from phones u some of the providers are not good hence cheap phones

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, apart from the signal., 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
The Galaxy Note 3 is Samsung's latest `phablet' and it's got a lot of buzz. But, the question is: is it any good?

This phone has a 5.7 inch 1080p Super AMOLED touchscreen and it is beautiful. The colours pop massively and watching media on this phone is an absolute joy. The screen responsiveness is fantastic. I had no issues at all. The display is covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 for good scratch resistance. However, this will not prevent your phone screen from cracking if dropped, so I'd still recommend getting a good case and putting a good quality screen protector on this phone.

This phone is absolutely fantastic for media consumption, with it's 32GB storage and Micro-SD card slot, you can store all your music, movies, photos on this phone and you still have plenty of space left. The speaker is okay: it's not fantastic, but it is perfectly usable for watching YouTube videos, listening to music. Thankfully, the audio output from the 3.5mm headphone jack is perfect, with no interference at all. A good quality pair of headphones is all that is needed to bring any music, movies to life.

The S-Pen is quite useful. I do like the ability to take quick notes when, for example, talking on the phone. However, the S-Pen feels more like an add-on that a feature that really sells the phone to me. Apart from taking notes and doodling, it doesn't really do anything that your finger can't do. In short, I wouldn't buy this phone for the S-Pen alone.

The camera is very good. It takes 13 megapixel stills which have a good amount of detail and images in low light are pretty good. Noise does start to creep in in really dark scenes, but photos still have good detail. This phone shoots 4K video which is good, but with no optical image stabilisation, video is very shaky indeed. 1080p video does have stabilisation so I found myself using that most of the time. The video produced in this mode was pretty stable, with good colours and contrast. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Call quality was good: no issues to report here. Voices had good definition and voices could be heard clearly. At high volume levels, the earpiece does tend to get distorted however. Loudspeaker quality was average: callers got distorted very easily, even at low volumes and the definition of callers' voices was average at best. On certain calls, I had to ask for callers to repeat certain words, as I could not make them out. It is worth mentioning that call quality very much depends on your carrier and location (for reference, I am using Tesco Mobile, who use the O2 network, in the UK).

My biggest issue with this phone is the signal: in short, it's awful. Putting this phone side-by-side with a Google Nexus 5 and iPhone 4S, these phones will get a signal of approximately -85dB, whereas the Note 3 will drift around between -95 and -101dB. In areas with low signal, you won't even be able to make a call as the phone will register no signal, even if there is one. This appears to be a quite widely-reported issue, with several people reporting similar issues. I suspect this issue is due to the attenae used, they just aren't the best. Samsung really need to up their game here, when they release the Note 4. If you live in a strong signal area, you'll be fine, but if not, I just cannot recommend this device; the signal is just too poor to be usable. It's worth mentioning that I've tried out three Note 3s and they all had this issue.

So, can I recommend this phone? On the whole yes, but if you live in an area with poor signal, I just cannot. If it can't fulfil it's primary purpose of being a phone, then there's no point in having it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever had!, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone)
King of phablets.. ..the size is perfect, battery time decent for a smart phone, and performance is amazing! I've never loved a phone like the Note; had 1, 2 and 3.. ..will probably buy the 4 too!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Smartphone - Black