Colour Name: Black|Change

on 4 September 2015
When I went looking for a pair of headphones (my first pair of over-ear 'phones in a very long time) I had some specific requirements: not too big, not too focussed on massive bass and suitable for a wide range of audio, from pop punk to big band swing, 80s hip hop to spoken word podcasts and audiobooks. I settled on these after listening to at least 20 pairs, ranging from £29.99 to £250+ and after 3 weeks of daily use, I'm still happy that I made the right decision.

Many of the lower priced headphones seem to be trying to pitch themselves as a cheaper alternative to Beats, with marketing messages mostly focussed on ear-splitting bass. I don't need that. I tried these and really liked the balance of low, mid and high frequencies. The upper end of the market didn't sound better enough (if at all) to make me want to spend the extra (and I'm not averse to paying more to get more)

One thing that's worth noting is that these headphones are quite sensitive to the quality of the recording itself; lossy, compressed MP3s sound worse on these than on other headphones. Tracks recorded with the bass EQ turned up just sound boomy and uncontrolled. Streaming from Spotify sounds great, iTunes downloads sound great, but ripped audio from dubious sources can sound pretty terrible through these. Lossless FLAC files are a real revelation though: as close to perfect as I've ever found from any source since brand new vinyl on an LP12 record deck :-)

Build quality is good, you get two different cables (one with a phone remote built in and one plain), the bag has a divider in it to separate the 'phones from the cables and they're lightweight and comfortable to wear. I tried a pair of £250 Bose headphones side by side with these and the difference was marginal at best and definitely not worth the extra £200.

I like 'em (and I'm really, REALLY fussy!)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2013
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These headphones look very sleek in their matt black finish, with a thin red line and brushed aluminium metal parts. The ear covers and padded band at the top, feel like smooth leather and make for a comfortable fit. While looking quite upmarket, these are light and fairly compact.

It's clear that these headphones have been developed with mobile use in mind - connected to an iPod, iPad etc. when travelling. So the design has been kept light and you get a fabric carrying bag which feels like black silk, to protect the headphones from scratches when carried in a rucksack, shoulder bag or similar. The headphones do fold in the middle of each side, which means they can be fitted into a smaller space.

The other accessories are two detachable leads - one of which contains a microphone and button for use when making calls and the other is just a plain audio lead. Both have gold-plated connectors of the mini-jack variety. The parts that go on your ear feel comfortable, but they are not large enough to cover your ear and this means they do spill more noise than if they were of the "over ear" variety - but that would have compromised the portability.

The other thing about these headphones is that they are aimed at fans of rock/pop music, as you can see from the collaboration with "the Script". The sound is good, but is coloured towards a brash, "in your face" approach, with a lot of bass. When playing tracks with funk bass, the sound was huge and material like Daft Punk comes across very well. Gentler, acoustic music doesn't fare so well and small Jazz groups or chamber music ensembles, were clearly not what was in mind when designing these. Some classical music sounds alright - but these headphones really work best with punchier or rockier music, where the driving bass stand out.

If you are looking for a step up from the usual ear buds or light phones for your mobile music these are a good recommendation - they are well-designed and sound great for the kind of music mentioned. Not so good for listening to gentler or acoustic music, where they sound artificial and "forced".
on 1 February 2015
Beautifully made and packaged item, the kind of thing I thought Sony had forgotten how to make. When these first came out I think they were priced about £120 so at the current £60 you get a real luxury item at a bargain price. With a single stereo socket on the left can you get two different leads to use and this also means that if the cord gets damaged it can be replaced easily. Great sound and comfortable. I think they may be stopping production of these as the price is dropping so am ordering another pair today.
on 2 November 2015
Bought these last week for £29.99. If you are deliberating over whether to buy at this price , stop now and go and purchase them. I own a few pairs of headphones including the AKG K545s and Harman Kardon CLs which are both more expensive and these headphones hold their own against them. I defy anyone to find a better sounding pair of headphones for the price.

The bass is a little over present, but not muddy or overpowering (unlike the klipsch image one IIs I recently purchased which sound awful in comparison). What's great about these is the detail and clarity. I've heard new things in songs that I've listened to hundreds of times. They really shine with hires files ( like they were designed to).

When I first put them on, I was convinced they were going to slip off but sticking with them ,(and bending them a little in the middle) they now fit perfectly. You just need to experiment with the position on your head.

At the price I paid they're the bargain of the year!
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2013
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The design of these Sony headphones is just right - not too big, not too small and extremely comfortable when worn over a long period of time. They reduce outside noise about 95%, which is good if listening in public, ie on the bus or train.

The quality of sound is very clear - I can hear clearly all the instruments played. The frequency response (5hz to 40,000hz) is massive when the sound comes out to your ear. Some may think this is too much bass but if you have a modern mp3 or cd player that has equalizer preset you can choose that preset to suit your ear.

They come with two detachable cords, one connecting cord and inline remote and microphone cord for smartphones.

Can fault these, great design, comfortable and above all, superb clear sound.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 26 December 2013
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have tried and tried to find headphones that look fairly understated (i.e. not Dre-like monsters) whilst giving perfect sound. I have some Bose Soundcomfort 2s and want to wear them on the train so I have been looking for something as an out-and-about replacement (the Bose's will remain the plane headphones).

Quality: the unpacking exercise is Apple-esque. The box comes out in a dramatic way, seeming to want to be eased out rather than pulled quickly (could just be me!). They feel nice in the hand, look good and the metallic touches compliment the design to give a pleasing look, especially with the red elements.

Comfort: unlike the Bose these sit on the ear rather than around. The band extends out to sit comfortably on my oversized head and they feel snug rather than tight and light when worn for long periods.

Sound: 1 word - Warm. The sound seems deep, with a strong bass and engulfing treble. Whether with my iPod listening to MP3s or laptop I was very impressed with the sound. There is no active sound cancelling but outside noise is kept to a minimum due to the fit. "Hi Res" makes little sense but I can confirm the sonic quality is perfect.

Cables: 2 included, one with an inline remote and one without - slight overkill but well thought out. Usual button presses are used (e.g. two presses to go to next track). Slight downer is no volume control but not the end of the world.

Instructions fold out to the size of a picnic blanket with a small amount of English - not much need for them other than a reminder of the button sequence. The soft case is useful, especially with the folding design, which again is well thought out.

Overall, an excellent set of headphones. With the quality and folding design I'd be willing to compromise slightly on sonics, but this is not the case here. If you want to get premium headphones with excellent sound and less than Beats then go for these. Highly recommended.

(I notice another review said there are no celebrity endorsements - that's a bit harsh on The Script who tested them in the development apparently!)
on 16 October 2013
I received these new Sony MDR-10RC Headphones yesterday, and I have to say i'm very impressed !!
This is the first product in Sony's new "Hi Res Audio" format. If i'm honest, I didn't know quite what to expect, and wasn't going to get too carried away with Sony's literature, but I have to say I had an immediate positive surprise, on the first listen.
If Hi Res means more detail & clarity, then you certainly get that ! I can hear every little nuance in the musical instrumentation & vocals. The soundstage really is enhanced, and there's a live / controlled feel to all different music genre's. I've tried out many musical styles and formats, from SACD, DVD-A, to Flac & WAV files, and get good results with all.
They are on ear type phones, and very comfortable to wear, for long periods. They're also foldable for storage, and come with a storage cloth type bag. There's two cables, one suitable for iphones e.t.c. to take calls.
There is a choice of three different colours, black, white & red. ( I decided on the red...they look really nice & stylish. )
I purchased some Sony MDR-1NC headphones earlier this year, almost double the price, and I have to say, if these new Hi Res headphones were available then, I probably would not have bought the expensive NC one's.
Well worth the purchase....all I hope now, is to be able to buy one of Sony's forthcoming Hi Res Audio players.

UPDATE : FLAC / WAV files, really are exceptional, listening through these beauties !!
on 30 December 2015
Perchased these after looking for something with a better definition than my monster n tunes (which I love)
I read the reviews on here and browsed my local maplins and currys stores trying various headphones.
These though not as loud nor basey as the ntunes sounded much clearer with a better peception of depth.

The quality is excellent.
You get two leads one for phone with a Mic and a app you can download.
And a mp3 lead the difference is noticeable.
I live these headphones and like the way they fold up so easy to travel with.
on 21 January 2016
I would give these 4.5 for sound, but no option, so get 5* for overall offering

PRO : Design + Build Quality + Excellent Mid Range Sound Quality + Accessories
CONS: Bass a Tad heavy/muffled (but may suit other listeners)

Design : Great design, looks very trendy and modern
Build : Feels and looks premium quality. Very comfortable and soft padding, light weight.
Features : Detachable cords with Gold plated jack coonnector. Free second cable with Mic/Answer button. Travel bag inclusive.

SOUND: Great Presence ...
Mid Range - Excellent in the Mid range 10/10 - performs well here
Highs - Excellent clarity 9/10 very good, maybe a tiny bit too "high"
Bass - 8.5/10 a tad heavy in my opinion, slightly cloudy, but may be preferred by other listeners

Designed for travel, on the go, for use with Smart Phone/Player, as very compact portable, and lightweight for long use

I think my Sennheiser HD 202 is the best for under £50 - all round great balance and price around £30;
But not as stylish or portable as this Sony, nor has this premium quality feel with extra set of detachable cables, and for those reasons, coupled with better mid range sound (suits me as I dont listen to bass music) I shall keep this Sony pair. Well worth the money New £31.99 online Argos, considering they were priced at £99 not too long ago with all the retailers.
on 29 April 2014
I ordered these to replace an old pair of Audio Technica on-ear headphones that I thought needed replacing. Initially I like them, found them very comfortable whilst sat in fairly static position at my desk. Once you're on the move, unless you have a rather large head, they are going to move around a bit on your head and ears. Despite being quite lightweight they do seem to shift around. Having given them a good 96 hours of running, I am finding the bass a little over-bearing which is (to my ears) muddying the mids. But, this is all very subjective to the listener, would suggest finding an outlet and having a listen to them before committing, you might find they're exactly what you're looking for. I have gone back to my Audio Technica and returned these for a refund.