4.0 out of 5 stars Bassy Headphones for Music on the Move.
These headphones look very sleek in their matt black finish, with a thin red line and brushed aluminium metal parts. The ear covers and padded band at the top, feel like smooth leather and make for a comfortable fit. While looking quite upmarket, these are light and fairly compact.

Published 9 months ago by Bruce

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure
Published 4 months ago by Mr. G. N. Lowle

4.0 out of 5 stars Bassy Headphones for Music on the Move., 25 Nov 2013
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony MDR10RC Overhead Lightweight Folding Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It's clear that these headphones have been developed with mobile use in mind - connected to an iPod, iPad etc. when travelling. So the design has been kept light and you get a fabric carrying bag which feels like black silk, to protect the headphones from scratches when carried in a rucksack, shoulder bag or similar. The headphones do fold in the middle of each side, which means they can be fitted into a smaller space.

The other accessories are two detachable leads - one of which contains a microphone and button for use when making calls and the other is just a plain audio lead. Both have gold-plated connectors of the mini-jack variety. The parts that go on your ear feel comfortable, but they are not large enough to cover your ear and this means they do spill more noise than if they were of the "over ear" variety - but that would have compromised the portability.

The other thing about these headphones is that they are aimed at fans of rock/pop music, as you can see from the collaboration with "the Script". The sound is good, but is coloured towards a brash, "in your face" approach, with a lot of bass. When playing tracks with funk bass, the sound was huge and material like Daft Punk comes across very well. Gentler, acoustic music doesn't fare so well and small Jazz groups or chamber music ensembles, were clearly not what was in mind when designing these. Some classical music sounds alright - but these headphones really work best with punchier or rockier music, where the driving bass stand out.

If you are looking for a step up from the usual ear buds or light phones for your mobile music these are a good recommendation - they are well-designed and sound great for the kind of music mentioned. Not so good for listening to gentler or acoustic music, where they sound artificial and "forced".

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good quality, 1 Dec 2013
bookworm "Sue K" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The design of these Sony headphones is just right - not too big, not too small and extremely comfortable when worn over a long period of time. They reduce outside noise about 95%, which is good if listening in public, ie on the bus or train.

The quality of sound is very clear - I can hear clearly all the instruments played. The frequency response (5hz to 40,000hz) is massive when the sound comes out to your ear. Some may think this is too much bass but if you have a modern mp3 or cd player that has equalizer preset you can choose that preset to suit your ear.

They come with two detachable cords, one connecting cord and inline remote and microphone cord for smartphones.

Can fault these, great design, comfortable and above all, superb clear sound.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure, 29 April 2014
Mr. G. N. Lowle "Gavin Lowle" (Fleet, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I ordered these to replace an old pair of Audio Technica on-ear headphones that I thought needed replacing. Initially I like them, found them very comfortable whilst sat in fairly static position at my desk. Once you're on the move, unless you have a rather large head, they are going to move around a bit on your head and ears. Despite being quite lightweight they do seem to shift around. Having given them a good 96 hours of running, I am finding the bass a little over-bearing which is (to my ears) muddying the mids. But, this is all very subjective to the listener, would suggest finding an outlet and having a listen to them before committing, you might find they're exactly what you're looking for. I have gone back to my Audio Technica and returned these for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - perfect understated travel headphones, 26 Dec 2013
Martin Greenhead "martinrg" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried and tried to find headphones that look fairly understated (i.e. not Dre-like monsters) whilst giving perfect sound. I have some Bose Soundcomfort 2s and want to wear them on the train so I have been looking for something as an out-and-about replacement (the Bose's will remain the plane headphones).

Quality: the unpacking exercise is Apple-esque. The box comes out in a dramatic way, seeming to want to be eased out rather than pulled quickly (could just be me!). They feel nice in the hand, look good and the metallic touches compliment the design to give a pleasing look, especially with the red elements.

Comfort: unlike the Bose these sit on the ear rather than around. The band extends out to sit comfortably on my oversized head and they feel snug rather than tight and light when worn for long periods.

Sound: 1 word - Warm. The sound seems deep, with a strong bass and engulfing treble. Whether with my iPod listening to MP3s or laptop I was very impressed with the sound. There is no active sound cancelling but outside noise is kept to a minimum due to the fit. "Hi Res" makes little sense but I can confirm the sonic quality is perfect.

Cables: 2 included, one with an inline remote and one without - slight overkill but well thought out. Usual button presses are used (e.g. two presses to go to next track). Slight downer is no volume control but not the end of the world.

Instructions fold out to the size of a picnic blanket with a small amount of English - not much need for them other than a reminder of the button sequence. The soft case is useful, especially with the folding design, which again is well thought out.

Overall, an excellent set of headphones. With the quality and folding design I'd be willing to compromise slightly on sonics, but this is not the case here. If you want to get premium headphones with excellent sound and less than Beats then go for these. Highly recommended.

(I notice another review said there are no celebrity endorsements - that's a bit harsh on The Script who tested them in the development apparently!)

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate., 15 Jan 2014
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are seriously good headphones. Crystal clear sound across the entire range with good sound protection. Great design, comfortable to wear, even for extended periods of time, they are perfect for out and about and the daily commute. I found them to be ideal for the train/tube cycle and they are light enough that you almost forget you are wearing them. The mini-remote & microphone half way up means you can control your phone/ipod without getting it out and answer calls (it worked find on my Samsung GS4) and you get another cable without the inline mini remote for when you don't want to use it I presume. I'm really impressed with them. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 11 Jan 2014
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A truly excellent product. Sound quality is very impressive. Good bass without being ridiculously overpowering. Most outside noise is blocked out and they are very comfortable. These work very well with a wide variety of music.
These are very lightweight but are also sturdy and well built. I didn't feel any discomfort or mild pain after prolonged use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy headphones with great sound, 13 Aug 2014
B. Roche "somethingisrotten" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been impressed with these headphones - I've worn them for long periods without becoming uncomfortable - I've found with other folding headphones it doesn't take long before you get that squeezed feeling - and the sound is top notch. Put them through a Meridian Explorer Dac and they're really quite impressive. I use these for the commute and have no problem with outside noise.

I had a few issues with the inline microphone, which was fine with a full signal but struggled when phone coverage was patchy. This was particularly noticeable compared to the free 'phones I got with my htc, but as buying these headphones purely for your phone would be huge overkill, it's not a major issue.

All in all, a good set of headphones that I would recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor value, 17 Mar 2014
I can't understand the 5 star reviews for these headphones - I would have been unhappy with these at 50, but I paid 135 or so - fortunately I could send them back.

They are quite small for overhead phones and the first impression is wow - a big bass sound for small phones. After a few seconds that effect clears and you realize the bass is vague and over-done and that detail is missing from the full sound spectrum. Within a minute or so I always wanted to take them off.

I tried them from an ipod and from an amp, tried "running them in" for 24 hours - still very mediocre. I compared them with a few other headphones I have - which were all preferable, mostly greatly so. Good headphones should reveal new details in familiar songs and leave you wanting to listen to more. These phones had the reverse effect. Perhaps mine were faulty but they looked well made (and packaged) and each earpiece/phone sounded the same (equally poor).

Better phones I compared these against at home : a) my old Grado sr60's were much better (the new versions sr60i and sr80i are both cheaper too) b) Sony XBA4iP Premium Quality In-Ear Headphones - these are more expensive, but really good - better for sound and for noise isolation (being in-ear) and much smaller for travelling with - great on the bus etc. c) also from sony but cheaper : Sony MDR-V55 DJ Stereo Headphones - at under 40 - I actually prefer the sound of these over the sony MDR10RC - though they do not look quite as good. Oddly on mine I needed to apply wd40 to stop the joints creaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars DETAIL & CLARITY, with Hi Res Audio..., 16 Oct 2013
Mr. R. Haden "hdrob9" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I received these new Sony MDR-10RC Headphones yesterday, and I have to say i'm very impressed !!
This is the first product in Sony's new "Hi Res Audio" format. If i'm honest, I didn't know quite what to expect, and wasn't going to get too carried away with Sony's literature, but I have to say I had an immediate positive surprise, on the first listen.
If Hi Res means more detail & clarity, then you certainly get that ! I can hear every little nuance in the musical instrumentation & vocals. The soundstage really is enhanced, and there's a live / controlled feel to all different music genre's. I've tried out many musical styles and formats, from SACD, DVD-A, to Flac & WAV files, and get good results with all.
They are on ear type phones, and very comfortable to wear, for long periods. They're also foldable for storage, and come with a storage cloth type bag. There's two cables, one suitable for iphones e.t.c. to take calls.
There is a choice of three different colours, black, white & red. ( I decided on the red...they look really nice & stylish. )
I purchased some Sony MDR-1NC headphones earlier this year, almost double the price, and I have to say, if these new Hi Res headphones were available then, I probably would not have bought the expensive NC one's.
Well worth the purchase....all I hope now, is to be able to buy one of Sony's forthcoming Hi Res Audio players.

UPDATE : FLAC / WAV files, really are exceptional, listening through these beauties !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic deep bass sound., 24 May 2014
Bought these recently as wanted on the ear headphones. They sit comfortably on the head and the ear cup places nicely over the ear.
First impression when listening to music was the fantastic bass sound which was crisp and clear and as I listen to a lot of dance music this was ideal.
The ability to skip backwards and forwards between tracks was a bonus and the telephone answering mode does the job perfectly.
These are not complete noise cancelling earphones but they pretty much block most of it out when travelling on buses and trains.
I give these a 4 out of 5 star rating for mid priced over ear headphones and if your looking for that budget than you will be hard pushed to beat these Sony beauties.