on 20 February 2014
As others have said, the aptX facility really makes the sound on my new headphones (Bluedio R+) quite astonishing (in a good way).

Just one thing, although the adaptor is recognised by Windows 7, it only installs generic drivers that do not handle audio devices, so I wasted a few minutes trying to pair my headphones and got as far as them being recognised, but no further. I googled Inatech and my schoolboy German allowed me to find the proper drivers. These install without a hitch and I'm now looking for hearing specialist.

You can download the drivers from http://www.amazon.com/gp/drive/share?ie=UTF8&s=K9BR1UBmRdwmU0B9KF8vb0
on 17 May 2014
The Inateck BTA-CSR4B5 is a simple and easy way to add Bluetooth support to your Desktop or Laptop.

The adapter comes in nice frustration free packaging, so you won't cut your fingers open trying to remove the adapter from the plastic container.

***** In The Box *****

1 x BTA-CSR4B5 Bluetooth Adapter
1 x Mini CD (Driver installation disk)

***** Installation *****

Before I connected the BTA-CSR4B5 to my laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64), i downloaded the Bluetooth Adapter drivers from Inateck's website and ran the installer. After several minutes had passed, the drivers were installed and i plugged the adapter into one of the USB ports. Windows immediately recognised the adapter and configured it to use the drivers i had just installed and a new Bluetooth icon appeared in the Windows Task Bar.

Adding a Bluetooth device was simply a case of double clicking on the Bluetooth icon and then clicking the add device button.

***** Testing *****

I tested the adapter by connecting several different Bluetooth devices, including a small SpeedLijnk mouse, a Sony SRS BTV5 speaker, ASUS SL101 Tablet, Sony Xperia S Smartphone and a Sony Wireless Headset.

All of my devices connected to the adapter easily and file transfers between devices was simple and reasonably fast.

***** Conclusion *****

The Inateck BTA-CSR4B5 is a great little device. It's low profile makes it ideal for laptops as it doesn't stick out of the USB port very far.

In testing, i was able to stream music from my laptop in a room upstairs, to a Bluetooth speaker in my living room downstairs without a hiccup.
If i stream music using the built-in Bluetooth radio of my laptop and also try to use my Bluetooth mouse at the same time, i often get "jumps/pauses" in the streaming audio, but when i tried the same thing using the Inateck BTA-CSR4B5 adapter, the music did not miss a beat.

Unfortunately none of my Bluetooth audio devices have support for Apt-X, so i cannot comment on that, but i will definitely be looking to buy an Apt-X compatible headset in the near future.

Overall i am extremely happy with the Inateck BTA-CSR4B5 and would certainly recommend it to anybody that wants to add Bluetooth functionality to their PC/Laptop.
review image
on 14 May 2014
Not much to it, the adapter is small and is easily configurable for the Raspberry PI, no special drivers needed. Do note that the power supply for the Raspberry PI (ref B) needs at least 700 mAh (preferably 1 Ampere) so that this Bluetooth adapter functions correctly.
on 22 June 2014
This dongle uses the same CSR chip and the same CSR Harmony stack from March 2012 as every other CSR BT4.0 dongle.

After several hours of effort, I finally got apt-X to work under Windows 8.1 64-bit. One important thing to notice is that the "you are now connected to an apt-X enabled headset" splash screen/logo is generated by the "TestIt.exe" under the progamme's installation directory. Running it will produce the splash screen regardless of whether the apt-X device is connected or not. If you managed to get the driver to transmit audio to your headset/receiver, but did not see the splash, you may want to check if you can run that exe directly. It requires .Net Framework 4.0.

Now, the dongle did not immediately enable apt-X when I first installed the driver. I then tried it on another Windows 7 box which showed the splash screen when paird with my headset. I then pluged the dongle back into my Win 8 box and apt-X started working somehow. I don't think the Win 7 bit made any read difference, maybe the dongle requires a power cycle after the driver is installed to work properly.
on 6 February 2014
Superb dongle, connected PS4 Game Controller and simultaneously streaming music to HiFi 3 meters away, Z-E-R-O lag. Doing this every day for 3 weeks now. Couldn't be happier.

Ahh, and did i mention that Windows 8.1 picks up its drivers automatically, same with Windows 7..
1313 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2014
does exactly what I want it to: no muss, no fuss.

I got this to connect my bluetooth headphones to my computer after its soundcard failed on me. I feared that because I was using linux mint, this would not work (it did not mention any kind of linux support on the box) but, sure enough, the moment I plugged it in, it worked, no driver searches, nothing.

connecting it to my headphones was a doddle and I am entirely content with the sound I am getting from this. What more needs to be said?
on 12 December 2013
This is a very cheap and good value for money USB Bluetooth adapter, especially so since it comes with aptX support courtesy of the Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) chip onboard.

For those who are curious, aptX offers higher audio quality using a proprietary codec that can only be licensed from CSR. If you own a bluetooth headset such as the Logitech UE 9000 Wireless Headphones that supports aptX, then you are going to get the highest quality audio available to you via bluetooth.

You would have to install the drivers provided -- it didn't seem to work well with the generic Microsoft Stack on Windows and I had trouble pairing any devices at all.

Highly recommended, given its price (£8.99 at the time of purchase and writing), and especially so if you want the elusive aptX support.
I ordered this Inateck Bluetooth device to add Bluetooth to my laptop. Years ago, I once tried to add Bluetooth to an earlier PC via a Belkin dongle but the whole process with manual setting-up became too fiddly and eventually I gave up – and I am not even a novice! This experience couldn’t have been more different: installation was so easy – simply plug in the device then install the driver from the enclosed CD. I then enabled Bluetooth on my phone and tablet without needing to do anything further to my laptop (not even browse for a program to manually enable Bluetooth) and the laptop was found instantly.

It has added full Bluetooth functionality to my laptop so now all gadgets – ie phone, tablet, mp3 player and laptop can communicate with each other. In this case, there is no need for any user-input other than inserting the dongle and CD so it’s quick and easy and takes only about 3 minutes. Having struggled with the Belkin model years ago, I was anticipating a few difficulties or to at least have to enter some settings but no, nothing at all was needed.

My laptop is now fully Bluetooth-enabled and next I will be adding it to my aged PC. With all my other gadget Bluetooth-enabled from purchase, I’d missed being able to share files etc between these and my laptop and had been copying to SD-card to transfer. Now everything is working seamlessly together with files transferred without having to use external memory cards, I can stream music between my phone and laptop speakers, enjoy hands-free audio, backup/sync and restore contacts, print to a Bluetooth printer and, thanks to the list of features on the installation screen, I’ve discovered I can even use my smartphone as a web camera – something I hadn’t actually thought of so thank you to Inateck for the idea!
on 14 January 2014
This was initially bought for audio streaming to a Sony SBH50 headset and it does that job perfectly giving high quality audio and a surprisingly long range. I can actually get 30m across my office (through walls) before I experience dropout in the audio. The most interesting thing is however the CSR Bluetooth software stack which replaces the standard Windows Bluetooth configuration. This adds some Bluetooth Smart support including login by proximity of a Bluetooth Smart device. It's great to get these features on earlier versions of Windows as Microsoft have added support only from Windows 8 up. A good buy!
This is a tiny little thing that slots into a USB port and then creates a Bluetooth signal in the same way as a mobile phone. I do suggest downloading the latest drivers from the company website and installing them before putting this into your computer rather than using the disc which appears to be several versions out of date. Once installed an icon appears in the system tray that gives the ability to use the device reasonably quickly. Adding Bluetooth gadgets is where the unnecessary faff comes in. They'll go in quite simply, and work reasonably well once properly set up; but they must be properly set up in order to work which requires a lot of digging in the settings. It took me four attempts for the dongle to remember that I wanted the stereo profile for my headset and not the telephone quality mono one.

It sometimes chokes when trying to use a keyboard while listening to music. So much so that the music stutters and drops away or the keyboard becomes non-responsive or starts doing "ttthh iiss s" when typing normally. That isn't the keyboard or the headset; used with my phone I can type and listen to music at the same time on those same devices without any problem. The range of the dongle is not as good as advertised for me either. I get about five feet from it before I get a stutter. I'm still searching for the perfect Bluetooth dongle. This one nearly gets it right, but not quite. There must be a simpler plug-and-play system that works as well as Bluetooth on a mobile phone.

Edited to add: This does not work with Windows 10, and the company have no intentions of updating the driver. It has now been binned and replaced with a version that does work with Win 10.