Published 12 months ago by Oddjob

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy performance
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive kit - shows you don't always get what you pay for!, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: E-PRANCE Network Server Adapter RJ-45 USB Suit for Network LAN Storage BT Download Nas Ftp Samba Print Server BT CLIENT (Electronics)
I purchased this item to replace a defunct NAS hard drive for home network. I must admit I was a little dubious at this price but all doubts have been dismissed. I have been running this successfully now for a month providing shared access to both a printer and a stand alone usb hard drive. The instructions take some “getting into” but the English is far better than my Chinese so who am I to complain? I found the only way to access the manager console was via Explorer all other described methods and browsers failed (in my case).It is a good idea to adjust and/or lift your firewall in setting up. The instructions for linking the printer are excellent. I did find the password setting a little problematic and as such did not pursue this facility as on a home network I felt it was not really required. For the price and for home use I am well impressed and as such if this is your requirement I would recommend that you consider it as an alternative to a dedicated NAS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 23 Jan 2014
I wanted to use a spare external drive as network backup; I was fed up with having a load of cables running everywhere and having to unplug them after I'd finished. I saw this little gadget and it was cheap enough to give it a go with a 500gb Toshiba portable hard drive. It took a couple of days to get my computer to be able to access the drive (I'm still not sure what I did right, not being an expert on such things) but it has been working now for a week and it is perfect for me. If you are one that get irritated by bright lights then the three blue led's may annoy you, they are very bright, but it's not really a problem. For the money, great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy performance, 16 Mar 2014
When it enables you to see files on the network it is fine - but does drop files when streaming video. At other times it seems to see folders but not any files within. To be honest, my Samsung TV sees the files consistently on any pc on my netwrok and has the ability (and capability) to have 3 external hard disks plugged into it - so has proved to be a more consistent network streamer than this device. When I first got it, I was pleased but it quickly proved to be buggy - so it has been relegated to the 'drawer of buggy/failed devices)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value solution, 6 Feb 2014
T. Ahmed (london) - See all my reviews
Reasonable delivery time. Has 2 USB ports so was hoping to connect 2 drives to set up as media drives unfortunately only will accept 1 on the media server. Connection was relatively straightforward despite poor instructions. It does seem to get hot so need to consider placement. It played most formats of media but like other media players there are always some formats not supported.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and cheap - but tricky to use with latest versions of Apple software..., 20 Mar 2014
Well, I purchased one of these units to network a couple of external hard drives. I use Apple laptops, so wanted quick local access to files and folders.

The server adapter seems well made, and connected easily with my BT home hub. So from THAT perspective all seemed well. BUT - little did I know that the latest versions of the Apple operating system (Mountain Lion, and Mavericks) changed the way their computers connect with NAS drives. SO - I couldn't connect from either of my MacBook pro laptops, and after some Googling found this is a common problem. There are work arounds, but these required complex editing in Terminal, and then multiple restarts.

I gave up in the end and sent the unit back to Amazon. Other people may have more success, and this is certainly an interesting product. BUT essentially it won't talk to Apple computers without Much Work (which is not why we buy Apple, right?).

3.0 out of 5 stars Speed issue, 30 Jun 2014
Very slow accessing large capacity HDDs (1 Gb or more). Good enough as a temporary measure to get you through issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this when you have a Mac!, 4 Jun 2014
This device does not work when you run OSX. Only if you install 3rd party firmware on it, but to do so you need a computer to access it, and that can't be done on a Mac. See the conundrum?

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 20 April 2014
Reflash with snake custom firmware to get more features.

Worked with old printer and external HD.

Great value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubish, 8 April 2014
Carl (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Ages out of date internal software. non-existent instructions. power hungry - gets well hot. and mine just plain didn't work so i returned it - AVOID!!! buy yourself a Ras Pi & make your own NAS, it works and it's a piece of cake

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY! EVER!!!, 7 April 2014
The device is RIDICULOUS!
Even with SnakeOS (the best firmware it supports) it was TERRIBLY slow.
250 MHz arm v4 cpu (crappy one, on top) and 32 MB ram. No ext4 support (although that was not in the description, but come on, what is it, 2005?).
Even with a swapfile of 256 MB it was still ridiculously slow.
It was impossible to decently watch worst quality videos over smb share. Try to play HD and that's it - your best bet is to reach the movie title.
Latest firmware is from around 2010 - think of the support u'll get. Tends to randomize some parts of the MAC address on reboot, was a tricky one to get it to assign the same address each time.