5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Replaces my SLR as I find it too heavy and prefer the P7800 now
Excellent battery life
Compact easy carried
Don't use for action shots but I don't do action shots anyway
Uses for me travel, family scenery, stills and short video clips is as near action as I get

Published 16 months ago by iP4

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars good piece of
A first class camera however I now wish I had bought from a uk dealer as the set up for charging the camera battery only works on an extension socket and will not plug into an ordinary uk 3 pin wall socket. Other than battery charging no problems, good piece of kit
Published 9 months ago by Patrick Martin

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix P7800 Compact Digital Camera (12MP, CMOS Sensor) (Electronics)
Replaces my SLR as I find it too heavy and prefer the P7800 now
Excellent battery life
Compact easy carried
Don't use for action shots but I don't do action shots anyway

Really to me seems better than Canon or Panasonic offerings with nice EVF and movable screen very useful
Can use SB400 flash on it - not done so yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 29 April 2014
A. D. Clift (Bromley Kent UK) - See all my reviews
For the last few years I have been using a Canon G12 together with my Nikon DSLR kit but wanted to standardize on Nikon so I could use the same dedicated flash units and other items.

One important feature for me is the inclusion of an eye level view finder. This is important for two reasons. Firstly its a bit hard to get a diopter adjustment on a screen which means getting glasses out for every shot and secondly holding a camera against the face makes it much easier to avoid shake than holding it at arms length. The Canon was reasonably good with its optical finder but the electronic finder on this camera is a lot better. There has been critics of the colour rendering and the finder colour is a little washed out but in those few cases where I need to play with the white balance I can get the glasses out and use the bigger rear screen. Overall the eye level finder does everything I need.

Of course having a good viewfinder is not much use unless the end results are up to scratch and so far I have been very impressed and its a good addition to my Nikon kit. My GPS unit works as does my remote shutter release and it shares the wi-fi dongle with my D7100. My two Nikon flash guns work with it and I can use the camera as a remote flash commander.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Second camera, 27 Mar. 2014
Love it this camera, fits in my pocket and fulfils all my requirements when not carting heavy DSLR around. Would recommend, solid piece of kit and very easy to understand menus.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent camera, 3 May 2014
r priestley (uk) - See all my reviews
i bought this camera to use on my frequent travels and have not been disappointed. it has many features , is instinctively easy to use , and has nikon quality throughout . i whole heartedly recoommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars great but with a fatal flaw, 28 Oct. 2014
I really wanted to like this camera but won't be keeping it. It is really well made, it looks and handles like a modern semi automatic pistol with solid feeling alloys and grippy matt surfaces. It looks substantial but is actually quite lightweight and slim with the lens retracted which allows it to slip into a jacket pocket easily. The controls and features are very good, the dials and buttons are well arranged and nice to use. The appeal for me were the flash capabilities which are unmatched by anything this side of a 10k medium format camera. This camera will sync all the way to 1/4000s with the built in flash and wirelessly command one group of nikon speedlights too while it does it, which means you can get one shot perfect off camera ttl flash exposures even in bright light. Other highlights are built in ND filter and decent video recording with the all essential mic input. It is also great as a selfie cam with its flip out screen and IR receiver which can trigger the shutter using a £5 IR remote.

The image quality is a bit sub par by todays premium compact standards due to the smallish sensor but this is somewhat offset by the very sharp lens and at ISO 400 and below the results are excellent in decent light. The EVF is useful for framing and discete snapping although it doesn't represent the colours being captured. I found the viewing size to be just fine. What is really inexcusable is the buggy and plain retarded processing which means that even simple tasks such as reviewing and deleting bog standard jpegs is a real chore. Ask it to go anywhere near a RAW file and it rolls over and falls asleep. There are noticeable and annoying delays almost every other time a button is pressed (although the shutter delay is ok). The menu system is time consuming to navigate and illogically laid out. My 5 yr old powershot S90 which has a similar size sensor feels 10x more responsive. I recently got my hands on sony rx10 with its bionz x processor and everything on it responds instantly as it should unlike the p7800.

Such a shame as this is such a great camera in many ways but i can't get used to waiting around for my camera to be ready cos too many moments will be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Coolpix to date., 5 Feb. 2014
G. Thompson "Petanque" (France) - See all my reviews
The last Coolpix I owned was the P7000 a camera that produced excellent image quality but was dogged by issues in terms of operation and speed. This camera is no speed demon but it has just about everything you could want in a compact. The key feature is the bright, 28-200 equiv. lens, producing superb image quality. Nikon have always had the edge on colour resolution for me, but that is down to personal taste. The articulating screen is a nice feature to have but not a decision maker for me, however the EVF is a huge step forward in compact cameras. I am not a fan of holding the camera out in front of me and like the added stability gained by holding the camera to the eye. I am not saying the view through the viewfinder is great but it does give you all the shooting information and gives a 100% view. The quick menu button is not well placed for easy access and some functions require a two or three step process, however this is something that experience and time will hopefully improve. I have only had mine for a couple of weeks but am hopeful it will be the last camera I ever buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact with a great control layout, 26 Jan. 2015
This Nikon Coolpix P7800 is an enthusiast compact with a great control layout and 7.1x lens, but it's not the right camera for everyone.

Pros:
Sharp lens. Vari-angle LCD. 7.1x zoom range. Hot shoe and EVF. Lots of physical controls. Microphone input. Raw shooting support. Slow-motion video.

Cons:
Images on the noisy side. Lacks touch screen and Wi-Fi. Limited burst shooting. Slower to focus in low light and in macro mode. Bulky.

Due to the image noise would recommend comparing to this Nikon on spec's and price: http://amzn.to/18jfNm8

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of kit - well done Nikon., 26 May 2014
Excellent camera, well thought out, mimics Nikon SLR's for layout. Compact yet versatile - even the digital zoom is worth using.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Mar. 2015
Great camera does all I want and more that I've still to discover.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the bee's nee's.., 11 Dec. 2013
I have been watching the Nikon compacts and this one does it all believe me...I have had Nikon cameras for over fifty years and went over to digital when they moved. This is an DSLR because it has an electronic viewfinder also the quality of the images are superb.

The construction of the camera is all superb..all in all a well worth investment.