Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 October 2013
Boy George is a legend but for a long time it's been for the wrong reasons. This album shows his true talent of song writing and vocal ability. Don't expect to hear the same voice from his Culture Club heyday, this George is a more mature and emotional sounding George, taking the listener on a very personal journey through his life.

Stand out tracks for me are the opening song 'King of Everything', the anthem sounding 'Bigger than War', the beautiful ballad 'It's Easy, 'My God' and the reggae tune 'Love and Danger'.

It's about time George was known for his true talent and this new album is a very good start in achieving that. Buy it and enjoy!
on 29 October 2013
It's obvious from reading the other reviews here that (in case you haven't all realised this already) music taste is very personal. Therefore reviews are really only that too - i.e. personal opinions. My verdict on this album, however, is that it is a stunning collection of tracks that just work so well together. Took me a few listens (quite a few, actually) to get fully into the album but now, four days later (I received the CD on Saturday morning ahead of it's official release date) I absolutely love it. There isn't a song on this that I don't like. Not sure I could pick out a favourite because they've all got something...It's Easy is an obvious candidate though, followed by Nice and Slow, but like I said, they've all got something and they're all fabulous.

This deserves to chart highly, and I really hope it does, but I kinda don't expect it will (looking forward to being proved wrong though!).

Buy it, and listen to it on big speakers, feel the warmth and sing along (and maybe even have a wee dance, if you feel like it). It's worth it!

Thanks George and team for this - we have been waiting a long time for it!
on 21 November 2013
I have not much to add to the other well written reviews already here. The thoughts I have are these. The voice is different but by no means worn out and there is still a lot to be said for the effortless delivery of many of the tracks here on this album. The songs have a little to much reliance on repeated lyrics, not always a bad thing but noticeable here. I have listened only a couple of times it being my Mothers album. She is a big fan but finds some of the reggae sound not to her taste along with the rap chorus found on the album. She scores the whole album as a three star album because of this. I have given it a four star rating because I like the first few tracks a lot and enjoyed the album as a whole.
on 13 November 2013
Never not loved everything George has done ,if you get this you wont be disappointed , voice as spectacular as ever and lyrics incredible. Buy it now
on 21 November 2013
When Boy George released his new album 'This Is What I Do' with the first single 'King Of Everything' I cried it was such a moving song. The album in its entirely is so fantastic. Each song has a story to it. You can feel his voice on the fan classic 'Bigger Than War'. George sings from the heart on the heart felt 'it's Easy' followed by the gorgeous 'My God'. The album Cd booklet contains the lyrics with some stunning photos of George that you can sing along to. This album is getting some amazing reviews worldwide. In time this album will be comparable to the glorious "Colour By Numbers'Do yourself a favor and get this album. It's WHAT YOU DO!
on 9 November 2013
This album is stunning, absolutely mind-bogglingly musical, warm, free-spirited, modern, eclectic, and exotic. Boy George has to have one of the very best singing voices in music. I was lucky enough to get a rare ticket to see him live recently and as well as his voice being outrageously versatile he just didn't put a note wrong. There is no doubt that Boy George is one of the most talented, daring, and creative men British music has ever seen. This is a mature album from one of the hippest DJs of the last 2 decades. You might not want to listen to it on public transport - it's difficult to stay still and leaves a very broad smile on your face.
on 8 November 2013
Forget the negative reviews because they try to overshadow what I believe is a fantastic new album.its a pleasure to listen to a soulful heartfelt songwriter.we could all link our past in some way to George's experiences.all the tracks have a story to tell and in the short time I have owned this album it's has never stopped turning in the disc player.please use the preview option and listen to a short piece of the songs,it's an option we have these modern days.dont buy it,listen and then slate it......please enjoy the music as I do.its well worth it.
on 23 November 2013
Slightly different to other Boy George releases, I prefer the style of 'The Unrecoupable One Man Bandit' but after a few listens the album definately grows on you. Some good 'slow' songs but some stomping reggae tunes.
on 28 October 2013
This is a great comeback album from Boy George.

For so many years George has made it easy for all of us to forget that he is in fact an artist and a singer. From the very moment "This is what I do" kicks up with "King of everything" you feel that this album is George wanting to re-establish himself as an serious songwriter and singer. And he really succeeds.

Songs like "My god", "It's easy", "My star", "love and danger", "nice and slow" and the aforementioned (and brilliant first single) "King of everything" are stand out tracks and alone worth buying the album for. The rest of the songs are strong too - with only "feel the vibration" as an exception.
Georges voice is strong - but also different from his earlier days. More mature and rough- just like the whole album really feels more mature (not to confuse with boring). Only thing keeping the album from a straight 5-star review is that the production on some of the tracks are a little "muted" and that the running order of the album seems a little illogical with the strongest songs in the "middle" of the album (with the exception of opener "King of everything").

Lyrics are strong and you get the feeling that this is a really personal album - and an album where the artist wants to reconnect with his audience (e.g. check out "Any road" and "King of everything"). Listen to "It's easy", "King of everything" and "My star" - and if you like them, you will like the album.

After listening to "This is what I do" a couple of times you sit with the feeling that Boy George is here to stay, that he can pull more great albums out of his "hat" and that this is just the start. Listening to the album you realize that Boy George is a great songwriter, has a great voice and really still has a lot to offer to the music business. And during the album you reflect (e.g. "King of everything"), you get in a great mood (e.g. "my star"), you feel mellow (e.g. "it's easy") and you feel you are back in the good old days when music really mattered (e.g. "my god" and its fantastic psychedelic guitar solo).

In my mind there are no reasons for not checking this album out and see just how far Boy George has come. The album has my strongest recommendations.
on 22 December 2013
OK, this is a really good album, and as another George once asked, listen without prejudice. This is a more mature George with more gravitas to his voice, but, like the beard, it comes with his unique androgynous panache and the sweetness that made him everyones darling in Culture Club.

I'm giving this a FIVE because it's so great to hear him doing what he does best, sweet a blue-eyed soul-reggae hybrid pop, and it may not be a ground breaking or a classic album, but if it had come out in June it would have been my sound for the summer, there is sunshine in them there grooves! And here's a quick run-down:

King of Everything - is a gorgeous almost Gary Barlow-esque ballad if you don't feel that's an insult, and I don't.
Bigger Than You - is George channelling Grace (yes there is only one).
Live Your Life - is, ooo, some white boy reggae is so sweet, and Georgie Boy's is the sweetest.
My God - has church bells leading into George's redemptive hymn to survival and acceptance (I think!), and who has more right to sing about that!
It's Easy - sounds like George channelling Louis Armstrong via Van Morrison into a country and western love song. And it is lovely.
Death of Samantha - is George covering Yoko and it has a guitar-strummed 70s cool feel. I'm really enjoying George's more gravelly singing voice.
Any Road - is a gently sung heart-felt ballad, `If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there'.
My Star, Love and Danger, Nice and Slow - are fun reggae-pop with George's imprint and some toasting, I for one miss it. MORE COD REGGAE PLEASE!
Play Me - is a sexier song with a lovers-rock groove and some weirdly cute scratching blips and vocoder vocals.
Feel The Vibration - is George in protest song mode which of course is not shouty, just a few pertinent phrases about too much war and not enough love and a driving groove to let you `feel the vibrations'.

So, welcome back George, the world would be a duller place.