5.0 out of 5 stars When All Else Fails, Only Hope Remains
The cruelty of the human race never fails to amaze me. I have no doubt that Solomon Northup's narrative is as accurate as it can be, but the content of this book is truly shocking. This glimpse into African American enslavement is one of horror and shows just how brutal man can be to his fellows.

Solomon is captured and enslaved against his will, removed from...
Published 19 months ago by Anari

2.0 out of 5 stars Twelve years a slave.
I haven't seen the film so not comparing There was just something missing which I can't put my finger on that makes this book bland in both style and fact. The reader certainly does not get to the end and has a better understanding of what the slaves went through not that long ago
Disappointing read.
Published 8 months ago by Stephanie

‹ Previous | 132 33 3482 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Slavery, 9 Feb. 2014
Truly a magnificent read. Thank goodness as slavery was abolished .I would recommend this book to be used in schools very powerful

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 years a slave? It must have felt like 50., 8 Feb. 2014
It is hard to imagine the suffering of slaves but Soloman writes so well that you hold your breath as he tells of the inexplicable cruelty of their masters. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 7 Feb. 2014
Downloaded this book for free on my Kindle. Started reading it and got half-way through as I wanted to see the movie at the cinema, but didn't want to diminish the quality of story-telling you can sometimes get from movies. Very rivetting story of a harrowing experience. Read the rest of the book after watching the movie, and many blamks were filled in.

5.0 out of 5 stars world heritage, 6 Feb. 2014
Incredible. This account has moved, inspired and enlightened me beyond my expectations. Solomon Northup is an ancestor of literary genius.

3.0 out of 5 stars A shocking tale, 6 Feb. 2014
Mr. J. Waller "nc29" (London) - See all my reviews
A terrific story told in a straight forward diary like account . Worth reading but not a great piece of literature

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read., 6 Feb. 2014
I was a little worried as some reviews had said this book wasn't easy to read as the writing style was old fashioned. Well it was a little old fashioned but flowed well and I read it in 2 afternoons without any problem.
If you've seen " Roots" , the story will be nothing new, however, definitely worth a read. Nice to know there were some good slave owners around as well as people willing to help.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as i thought, 6 Feb. 2014
It was an ok read but I expected it to be a lot better after reading everyones reviews. Only hope the film lives up to expectations.

2.0 out of 5 stars the style of writing was not what I was expecting, 6 Feb. 2014
I found this very hard to read, the prose isold fashioned and there is not much in the way of dialogue, I was disappointed to find I no longer looked forward to the next page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 6 Feb. 2014
I wanted to read this before I saw the film. Very disturbing but I would recommend it, a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly moving, 5 Feb. 2014
Mia Meow (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
An insightful account of a life unimaginable to most but sadly still a reality for some even within the UK. Food for thought...

‹ Previous | 132 33 3482 | Next ›