5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story
Before I begin I just have to let you all know that I absolutely adore Nicholas Sparks. I have seen all his film adaptations and read a lot, although not all, of his books. I was eagerly awaiting The Longest Ride, his latest novel, and was so excited when I received a copy for review that I just had to dive straight in.

The Longest Ride switches between the...
Published 19 months ago by Georgina

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite
I am a massive fan of Sparks' books and I really could not wait to read this one but sadly I was a bit disappointed. I did not connect with the story as well as with the other books he has written and fund it quite dull and extremely predicable in places and not in a good way. The book tells the story of Luke and Sophia and Ira and Ruth, two couples in different stages of...
Published 17 months ago by Justhavingfun

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)

The Longest Ride switches between the plot of two different stories, that of Ira and that of Sophie and Luke, while alternating between the perspective of all three. I enjoyed seeing the two stories and eventually learning how they connect. Ira's story was beautiful and told of his journey and I learnt a lot about his past. Each time Ira's chapters came around I found myself liking him more and more and realising just what a wonderful man and character he really is. His love for his wife never falters and is so emotional to read about. I adored the character of Ruth and the way she is portrayed. I also enjoyed the story of Luke and Sophia, although I did like Luke's character a little more. Luke came across as caring and very family orientated while I have to say Sophia was a little selfish at times. Although as their chapters move on I did find myself liking each character by the end of the book.

The Longest Ride was not a typical Nicholas Sparks novel. Yes it had the raw emotion, yes it made me cry, more than once, but it was a little different. I think perhaps because of the two stories running along side each other of which you do not see any connection until the end of the book. I do not think this is a bad thing as I enjoyed both stories and their connection, it just made it a little different from previous Nicholas Sparks novels.

Overall, I loved The Longest Ride. The grand love story is there and I think the marriage and love between Ruth and Ira is one of the best I have read about in a long time. It made me wish for even a small amount of the way in which they love each other. I would defiantly recommend The Longest Ride for any Nicholas Sparks fan or for anyone looking for a great romance with strong emotion that will pull at the heart strings. Just be prepared, you will end up crying.

5.0 out of 5 stars OBSESSED, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)
Sometimes I love a Nicholas Sparks book, and sometimes I don't. I flipping love this book, I got absolutely hooked on it and had to finish it the day I started it. I got totally into the plots, and didn't want it to end. I felt it had one of the better Sparks ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars The longest ride, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)
This is another good read by Nicholas Sparks. I was really sucked in by this book. I also liked how each chapter is broken down to each person: Luke, Ira and Sophie. Very good story line for all of them. Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly spectacular story, 24 Sept. 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks and his novels, I've read every single book of his and truly treasured them, and so I was very excited about his latest release The Longest Ride.

91 year old Ira is trying to stay conscious after his car crashes, and whilst struggling to remain conscious he sees an image of his beloved late wife Ruth, who urges him to hang on and recounts their story and life together. Meanwhile, college student Sophia meets cowboy Luke she is thrown into a world far removed from her privileged school life. But whilst Sophia sees a new future for herself, Luke is keeping a secret that could destroy it....

I really LOVED The Longest Ride - I sat down first thing in the morning to read it and I spent a wonderful day being swept up in this truly fascinating and enchanting story.

Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed the story of Ira and Ruth. The love and the strength of the feelings between them was truly magical to read about. Ira has so much love in his heart for his wife and it genuinely made me very emotional, bringing tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. I loved reading about their back-story and so I really looked forward to Ira's parts.

I liked Sophia and Luke, their story was interesting and I was compelled to read on because I wanted to know what Luke was holding back, and I wanted to see how things would turn out for them. I also liked that there are obstacles, it made the story more realistic that it wasn't always plain sailing, and it gave me something to root for and I was gripped as I didn't know which way the story would go next.

I wasn't sure how the two stories of Ira and Ruth and Sophia and Luke would link so when it was all revealed it was a great surprise for me. I enjoyed how Nicholas Sparks wrote about a love story that was just beginning with Sophia and Luke, and a love story that had only strengthened and grew with time in the case of Ira and Ruth, and how these two story flowed effortlessly together.

The Longest Ride is a very heartfelt story that touched me and it did leave me thinking about the wonder and the joys of love. I'd go as far to say that it is one of my favourite novels that Nicholas Sparks has written, each word had been carefully selected and chosen and it showed because from the first page I was drawn into a truly spectacular story.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's incredibly good story! Nicholas Sparks has an amazing ability to ..., 28 Mar. 2015
My review:

It's incredibly good story! Nicholas Sparks has an amazing ability to entangle people's stories into a engrossing tale which grabs you from the first page until the words "The End". I truly enjoyed the descriptions of two different eras and couples and was curious to see, how they are connected to each other.

The story starts with an old man - Ira - having a car accident in a snowstorm. He survives it, but can't get out of the car, he is weakened and hurt by it, he doesn't have anything to eat or drink and can't get out of the car. He spends his time to think back, imagining his wife sitting next to him and having a long road on the memory lane with her, where they tell each other stories about their past during the Second World War and after that.

In the same time, a paralleled story folds: Sophia, an university student, is going to bull rodeo with her friends and meets a rodeo star Luke. They are very different, Luke has grown up on a ranch and Sophia is studying art. Besides that, there are secrets involved which makes their relationship complicated and challenges both of them. I loved them together, even though they aren't match made in heaven, they are very good to each other!

Both stories from different times are fascinating and heartbreaking and emotional and the characters are incredibly well written. I couldn't put the book away and read it almost in one sitting. It was compelling and had great twists and turns. I loved how the story ended. It's a lovely story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it before you see it!, 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Paperback)
You may not believe it, but it's only my second book by Nicholas Sparks, yet I feel as if I have read all of them - they are so characteristically written that you can't mistake the author! And well, you can laugh (please don't!), but I haven't seen any film based on his books yet. I know, I know, but well, read before you see, right?

This is one book with two different love stories, that of Ira and Ruth, and Sophia and Luke. Ira is 91 years old and thinks that, after a car accident, this is it. But his wife Ruth appears and tells him not to give up, that he should focus on their memories, from the day they fell in love.
Rodeo is the last thing that's on Sophia Dank's mind, but well, what a girl won't do for her best friend Marcia. Recovering from her last relationship, she doesn't think about love at all, but well, there is this cowboy, Luke. But Luke is keeping a secret, a secret that can shatter their lives.

"The Longest Ride" alternates between the two love stories, that are so different to each other! It also switches between the points of view of Ira, Sophia and Luke, yet it makes a clear, comfortable read. Both stories are beautiful and written in this characteristic, Nicholas Sparks's style, full of warmth, wisdom and understanding. But the best part is to see how those stories eventually connect - great, just great.

Ira was incredible and wise character, and I absolutely loved to read his story and learn about his journey, and I just couldn't not like him. His story was so poignant, especially his feelings to his wife, they just made me cry, so moving it was. They were a couple that you always hope you're going to be, a couple to stand the test of time and circumstances and "till death do us part". This relationship was one of the best I have ever read about. There is such contrast to those two relationship: one is old and so comfortable, the second is so fresh, new, but both of them seem just so real and are a real joy to read.

The way Nicholas Sparks writes and tells the stories is so exceptional, and I guess only he can describe love in such true, honest way. He can also create incredible, lively, vivid characters that feel more than realistic and true. I have warmed to them all immediately and desperately wanted to know their stories, no matter how heart - breaking they were going to be. They were, of course, because in Nicholas Sparks's books nothing is easy and life always gets complicated, but they were also in some way uplifting and so, so, so gripping.

The way Nicholas writes about love and the way he puts obstacles in the way of the characters, makes the reading only more anticipating, gripping and realistic. Love in his books is not only bed of roses, but thanks to this all feels so realistic. He is also the master of twists and turns, and oh my word, he knows how to surprise the reader!

I couldn't put the book down, literally, so desperate I was to see how the two stories connect and intertwine, and when they did, I just gasped. This book evoked all kind of emotions in me, had me crying and laughing, and you know, reading it just gave me the creeps. I would really recommend "The Longest Ride" to all you hopeless romantic, and not only, as it is a read that pulls at all the right heart strings. This is a real treat, beautifully written, that I can't recommend enough - read it before you see it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review: 'The Longest Ride' by Nicholas Sparks, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Paperback)
91-year-old Ira Levinson has crashed his car due to the icy weathher and slippery roads. While he is trying his very best to stay conscious, he is visited by his late wife Ruth, whom he loved with all his heart. She continues to tell him to hold on because it isn't his time to go just yet and together they bring back all the memories of their life together. At the same time, Sophia Danko, an art history student at college, is trying to recover from a broken heart after she discovered her boyfriend cheating on her. However, she now finds herself at the start of a new love story when she meets Luke, a cowboy and bull rider. Sophia feels herself falling for Luke more and more every day, but she doesn't know that Luke is hiding something, something that could change everything within seconds...

No one can write a love story like Nicholas Sparks can, and this book once again proves that. Especially since it includes not just one tale of romance, but two which are also connected to each other. I immediately warmed to the characters and was intrigued by their stories and what would happen to them. Ira's story was on the one hand heart-breaking, but on the other also really gripping and enchanting. The love between Ira and Ruth is the kind of love most people hope to find at one point in their lives and Nicholas Sparks managed to describe this in such a brilliant and captivating way. The fresh and new romance between Luke and Sophia is in contrast to the deep and timeless love between Ira and Ruth, but I enjoyed reading both of them just as much.

Like with every Nicholas Sparks novel, love has its obstacles, and this makes the story realistic. There is also a great twist at the end which made this novel even more wonderful, in my eyes. This author is such a great storyteller, I honestly can't get enough of his books and I already can't wait for the next one. What is there left to say? Nicholas Sparks has once again treated us to a fabulous love story. 'The Longest Ride' is a beautifully written, engaging, wonderful book which revolves around two parallel love stories; a simply stunning read which I can't recommend enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars United by love., 30 Jan. 2015
Ismay1012 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Paperback)
Ninety-one-year-old Ira Levinson is terminally ill and cannot afford to wait until his wedding anniversary in August to make his annual pilgrimage. He has only a few months left to live and is determined to make one last trip in honour of his cherished but sadly departed wife Ruth. Along his way he skids off the snow-covered road and down a steep embankment. As he lies badly injured in his car he is unable to summons help. He imagines his wife by his side as he recalls the major events of his life, the love letters he wrote to Ruth and the letters she returned to him all within the fabulous enduring relationship they shared together.

Meanwhile a young couple called Luke and Sophia have just started going out together. They are like chalk and cheese, total opposites of each other but very much in love. But Luke has been keeping a secret from Sophia, a secret she really needs to know about. Returning from spending some time together, Luke spots broken railing along the roadway and it is then that they investigate the accident and discover a severely dehydrated Ira, barely conscious and fading fast. They call the emergency services and recover Ira’s final letter to Ruth, which he has told them about, although scarcely able to get the words out.

Two couples in love. Years apart in age but united in their respective romances. Yet when Luke and Sophia stumble across Ira’s wrecked car their lives are destined to change forever. These two love stories become linked in the most unexpected way, revealing a deep connection between two couples in love.

Nicholas Sparks is a masterful writer in the romance genre. There is no other that can write with such beauty and honesty and turn a romantic story into such a masterpiece. His characters are wonderful, he writes with humour and grace and tells a story like no other. I loved this warm and gentle story, but most particularly the wonderful ending. I can wholeheartedly recommend this as an excellent novel, one well worth reading. I read it in under a day, as I was so engrossed and charmed by the storytelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Novel..., 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Paperback)
When I first started to read this book, I did not know what to expect. It did not seem like any of the other Nicholas Sparks books that I had read (which is a lot). Therefore I was sightly weary as to whether I would enjoy this latest novel that he had written, but I can honestly say that I enjoyed this book immensely and once again Nicholas Sparks did not disappoint.

The Longest Ride follows the story of two different couples that are from two different times. Ira Levinson, whose wife Ruth passed away many years before, has been in a car accident and due to bad weather conditions and how injured he is, he is unable to move or call for help, therefore he finds himself remembering his life and relationship with his wife, which started when they were teenagers and even though they went through difficult times, such as WW2 when Ira had to go and fight, they were together until they were forced apart. The other story that this novel follows is that of Sophia, who has recently been through a bad break-up and Luke, a cowboy. These two people come from entirely different backgrounds, however they find themselves drawn together and eventually fall in love. But, this couple does not have it easy, they also go through hard times, especially seeing as Luke is keeping a secret that could change the course of their relationship entirely (You will have to read the book to find out).

These two stories later find themselves entwined and what follows is a novel about love, friendship and how, even though times can be hard, you can get through them as long as you have each other to hold onto.

When you read this book you find yourself in a trance and only come out of it when you reach the very last page.

If you enjoy hearing about different books, take a look at my blog - www.blurbbookblog.wordpress.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another beautiful Sparks novel., 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)
This is probably the hardest review I have yet to write. I enjoyed every single page but I can't find the words to explain how beautiful it was. I took my time reading this novel, normally it takes me 2-3 days but with this, I wanted to savour every moment because we don't know when his next novel will be released. I read The Longest Ride in a week and that was the best reading week I've had in a long time. Usually, I only make a couple of notes but this time, I made three pages worth. Well, he is one of my favourite authors after all.

The first three chapters introduce the characters perfectly. Ira, who is a 91 year old gentleman has been involved in a car crash and from the first page we meet him, Nicholas pulls on our heart strings. If anything can make me emotional, it's seeing an elderly person suffer. When Ira falls asleep in the car, after the crash, we met his wife, Ruth who appears in his memory. Four months earlier to the crash, we meet Sophia, the blonde college beauty who is anything but the stereotypical sorority house girl and we also meet Luke. Luke is slowly becoming my favourite Sparks hunk! He is a handsome bull rider who takes constant care of his Mum. We learn little of their pasts, but in time, we learn a great deal.

Nicholas Sparks always picks beautiful locations for his novels and it is no surprise that he picked another one for his seventeenth novel. The Longest Ride is set in North Carolina and even though I haven't been there, his words took me to the beautiful place. The reason why I read his novels are because of his descriptions; they're spectacular and readers/writers are able to learn a great deal from him.

The change of point of view is rare in novels and sometimes, readers find themselves confused because the writers haven't highlighted the speaker clearly enough. In The Longest Ride, Nicholas does it without fault. Each chapter is dedicated to either Ira, Luke or Sophia and once, we are presented with a paragraph from Luke's mother. His characters are always believable and they trust one another within moments of meeting but I guess that is what happens when you meet your true love.

Throughout the narrative, I wondered what the link between the two couples was and we slowly learn of this just past the halfway point. Once you read it, it becomes obvious. It is impossible for readers not to get emotional when reading a Nicholas Sparks novel. He is the only author who has made me almost cry (that's another story for another time!), I was able to get lost in the world of Sophia and Luke easily, but with Ira and his wife Ruth, I found their story to be less interesting. Perhaps it was down to the age difference or perhaps the war was mentioned which isn't my strongest point. Half way through the narrative there is a relatively big shock. I was in the hospital waiting room when I happened to read it and a couple of people began to snigger at my reaction. I love reading in public!

All in all, it was a beautiful novel from Nicholas Sparks. He is one author who can never disappoint me. I can't wait to hear the news of when the film adaptation will be released.