4.0 out of 5 stars Wi-fi Range Extender
Published 16 months ago by C. Brooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Good design but unreliable/unstable wifi coverage
I have set up this wifi extender at home to reach the outer most edges of the house. While the design looks great, it doesn't perform well.

I have tried:
(1) Pairing it up with Virgin Media Superhub.
(2) Pairing it up with Linksys Router.

I also used various devices to connect to it and tested it out. I have used
(1) Android phone...
Published 20 months ago by Hwasung Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Wi-fi Range Extender, 8 July 2013
C. Brooks (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have a dead spot in your home then this is the tool to resolve it. Simple plug in the extender at the limit of your wifi signal, then search for the Belkin device on your computer and select it. You will see your network / wifi and again select it, then just follow the on line instructions and enter your network key. There you have it, dead spot no more. The only slight thing is that it was advertised with a 3 pin plug fused to the device but it came with a 2 pin plug. However an adapter was supplied so not too bad. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute doddle to set up and use, 20 Oct 2012
Dave M (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had range extenders before now and none of them has been easy to set up the moment I tried to use encryption or to allow network resources to be seen across the whole extended network.

This Belkin is different.

To set up, just plug in and search for the Belkin network. Now connect to it. Now try to browse to any page and the Belkin set-up page appears. Apart from putting in the security code, I used the default for absolutely everything else and, guess what, it worked immediately.

I've tried in a few sockets around the house before I have found the best place and, with the exception of the room where my router is, the Belkin provides more bars than the original router. A good strong signal anywhere.

So for ease of set-up and performance, I can't give this anything other than the full 5 stars.

Highly recommended.

PS - One final tip. The default name for the new wireless access point is the same as your original SSID, but with "_xt" as a suffix. If you edit the SSID to the same as your original router SSID (this is an obvious option as part of the set-up), then your laptop, tablet, 'phone, etc. will always automatically connect to the stronger access point without you having to select manually. (If this paragraph means nothing to you, you can safely ignore and go with the defaults all the way through and it will still work great).

1.0 out of 5 stars Good design but unreliable/unstable wifi coverage, 8 Feb 2013
Hwasung Lee (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I have tried:
(1) Pairing it up with Virgin Media Superhub.
(2) Pairing it up with Linksys Router.

I also used various devices to connect to it and tested it out. I have used
(1) Android phone
(2) Windows Phone 8
(3) BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
(4) HP laptop running Ubuntu/Windows 7
(5) MacBook Air running MacOS X
(6) Fujitsu laptop running Ubuntu/Windows 7

But the connection is patchy at the best. I have thoroughly tested this extender, and I would like to strongly discourage you from buying this product. (And yes, you guessed right I work in IT.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent extender for your network, 13 Nov 2012
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was perfect for a dead area in the house where the L shape meant that we couldn't access the network

Pros

* Set up was straightforward and took only minutes
* Neat design
* Plugging into the power socket means that the extender is not intrusive
* Successfully extends the network into the dead area and now into the garden so it will be possible to work in the garden in the summer
* 1 extra ethernet socket a the bottom (limited to wiFi speed) for wired connection
* Remembers setting if turned off or repositioned slightly
* Have not needed to reboot or any other maintenance since set up

Cons

Nothing to report on the product itself - it was somewhat over packaged

Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars High hopes........ A major disappointment!, 10 Sep 2014
Mr B in MK (Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin N600 Universal Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wireless Signal Booster (Easy Setup, WPS Function, Ethernet Port) - Wall Plug Mounted (Accessory)
Bought the N300 to use in our flat in Spain and was so impressed I thought I'd get one for home to replace a small netgear extender that doesn't have great range. Upgraded to the N600 as I thought it would be even better.....
I spent an age trying to connect via WPS, wirelessly & Ethernet. I managed to get it connected a few times (solid blue light) but almost immediately it dropped straight back out. Also tried at various distances. I don't know if it's just not compatible with BT Homehub5 but it it would not work for me. Thankfully returns & refunds are good via Amazon'

2.0 out of 5 stars Invisible, 15 July 2014
I believed this item could be useful to extend the range of my WiFi network.

Set up is as easy as advertised :
- Plug the booster in a wall socket where the signal of your WiFi router becomes weak (2 bars on my laptop near the socket I chose) ;
- On your Laptop, Browse available networks, and select "Belkin" ;
- Open your usual browser (you will be automatically redirected to the Belkin Configuration page) ;
- Enter your network PIN.
.. you get an activation confirmation : your booster is correctly set / connected / authorized.

(Funny : a final message invites you to install the device away from a wall... isn't that device designed to go IN wall sockets ? Aren't wall sockets supposed to be ON walls ?)

Then comes the disapointment :
- No extension on the range of my WiFi network : the point where I lose signal has not moved an inch.
- There is no way to determine if your laptop is connected to the router or the booster (in default mode)
- Impossible diagnostic : The led on the device is sometimes blue, sometimes orange, somtimes blinking, sometimes still, but you never know why.. and since no user manual is supplied, you are supposed to investigate the web by yourself !

Conclusion : as efficient as a night light in extending the range of your WiFi network, Light too dim in the dark, not much of a decoration improvement --> Back in the box.

Erwann on Amazon.co.uk
(Item received through the Amazon Vine program on Amazon.fr)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended; nearly doubles range. Some minor niggles., 24 Aug 2014
Joe 90 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Much is made of the easy setup of this extender.
But the given instructions are still not AS straightforward as using the WPS button imo.

The WPS function adds such items to the network by SIMPLY pressing the WPS button on both devices to be linked within a minute or so of each other. One doesn't have to logon or browse or even have a computer/phone/tablet switched on for this to work!

So yes, setup is either simple or simpler; I just would have though the simpler (wps) option should be the default.

Although simple to install, one must access Advanced Settings to change the password or reset to factory settings.

This particular extender only works on the 2.4Ghz band so be sure your router and receivers use this band (some more modern ac routers/bridges only operate on 5Ghz). The 'works with all routers' claim on the box is therefore not 100% accurate.

There is no Ethernet port.

I am being somewhat nit-picky here though, and if the item suits your requirements then yes, it DOES extend wireless range very well. Although whether one could pickup the signal from outside in the garden, as suggested on the box illustration is another matter (there I go again).

4.0 out of 5 stars Much less fiddly than my previous setup, 18 Aug 2014
TheShopaholic (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to receiving this, I had a DIY setup of 2 routers, one upstairs linking directly (via a plug-in network adapter) into the main router downstairs, in order to get a decent signal in my house but it would still be a bit iffy particularly when the door to the room it is in was closed. I live in a large 4 bed victorian solid built place with solid walls and solid wooden doors, not cardboard and using my laptop upstairs was often a pain unless I used a plug-in access point but then could not move my laptop very far.

So I plugged this in on the landing and it was a doddle to setup. It has a setup page just like a router, put in my wifi password and it connected immediately to the network in my home. I am using a SKY router (Not sure of the brand) but it works just fine. The wifi signal strength upstairs is now comparable to that of downstairs so I would say that this little gadget is doing what it should. I am not looking for superfast bandwidth, merely just a signal strength that is decent and does not keep dropping off the wifi network and now I have it.

Quite neat looking too, not too chunky so looks no worse plugged in than one of those plug-in air fresheners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - at a price., 12 Aug 2012
Book Critic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Setting this repeater up is about as simple as it gets. The whole procedure is a Wizard based walk through which culminates in a secure and speedy connection to the router. After that simply move the repeater to a mid way point between the router and any dead spot or poor wifi reception area and that should be that. The Belkin Wireless Range Extender Dual Band then relays and extends the effective range of your router with minimal reduction in signal quality.

The unit is well constructed with sleek and modern good looks following the current vogue for piano black and will fit into any family home without looking too much like an office refugee.

Performance is good and after several days of testing it has not yet lost sync with the router. A feature often missing from cheaper range extenders but which can be found here are the four Ethernet ports on the rear of the unit. This allows non wifi equipped devices in remote parts of the house to connect to the router without long trailing cables or the need for individual network adaptors.

On the downside for a new and by no means cheap device there are a few features lacking. There are no USB ports so printers, scanners and other devices cannot be made available on the network. Also, there is no support for IPV6 networking, which will (one day) finally be the norm as will the new high speed 802.11ac wireless standard which again is lacking here.

This is a good and well specced device which does the job well although lacks a few features which may well mean it has to be replaced in a year or two.

The Good
Easy to follow wizard based setup
Looks good
Simultaneous Dual band at up to 300Mbps
4 Ethernet ports
WPS security support

The Bad
No IPV6
Lengthy startup time
No USB ports
No support for 802.11ac connections
Not cheap

5.0 out of 5 stars Most effective and simplest extender ever, 21 Aug 2014
M. C. Cresswell - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the most effective, and simplest, wifi extender I have been able to try out in my long, thin, heavy-brick Victorian house. The router is at the front, downstairs, and I am at the back, upstairs. I barely get any signal normally, and when I do it is maddeningly slow. Cue this little box, which looks essentially like a standard plug (a little bulkier) without a lead.

Set up is a real doddle. You plus it in - I put mine in a socket approximately half way between the router and my room, downstairs - and then you connect to it from your device. Go online and enter your wifi key - you do need to reconnect to your pre-existing signal - and there you are. I now typically have 3 wifi bars on my MacBook, sometimes the full 4 - and speeds have been transformed.

Belkin seem really to have cracked it with this model, beating their own offerings from a mere year or two ago. Highly recommended to alleviate hotspot woes in your home.