5.0 out of 5 stars A sublime film which took me to another world
I watched this alone in the cinema and was so very engrossed I was stunned when the lights came up! Like Stardust, you need to believe in magic and be able suspend reality to enjoy this but if you do, you'll be struck by the beauty and wonder of the eternal themes of love, goodness, trials and hope which it takes you through.
Published 13 months ago by NLB

1.0 out of 5 stars The film stops a quarter the way through & go ...
The film stops a quarter the way through & go back to the beginning, we have tried playing it a few times & it keeps doin g it do you want it returned
Published 2 months ago by Mrs Sally Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars A sublime film which took me to another world, 18 Mar. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanted my heart..., 19 Sept. 2014
Mr. I. Erem - See all my reviews
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I would not call myself emotional in the daily life sense of it, I am however very spiritual, and even though I have outgrown "looking" for true love in life and built up all sort of defense mechanisms... this... this film just shattered all these walls I built around myself and had me bursting into tears... thank you and yes. one day we will all become stars! :')

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful film, you don't want to miss it!, 6 Mar. 2014
Winter's Tale - a truly magical, uplifting, emotional piece of art.

The directing is wonderfully done accompanied with a musical score which makes it special and really shine all throughout the movie.

Script is full of metaphors, symbolism with huge amount of detail and depth in it, thought-provoking ideas, it is beautiful and unique, which is quite rare in films nowdays.

There is plenty to see for the mainstream audience, as well as people who have different perspective, so it works on both levels, which really surprised me.

The acting is a strong part and everyone did a great job to portray interesting and multi-layered characters, especially the chemistry between Colin Farrell and Jessica Brown-Findlay was wonderful to watch, and they fit the roles very well.

Cinematography is also a very important part of the movie, the film visually looks amazing and it helped to create a believable New York, with all of the different settings and themes - major and small.

There are some issues here and there, but it is a 'Tale' and i think this motion picture represents the title perfectly.

The only real problem is the marketing - trailer, while it is really good, in my opinion, it barely represents the actual movie - posters, they look really cheap and similar to every romance film, therefore people might have been mistaken and not wanting to see this movie in theaters, although i can see now that the cover of Blu-Ray looks great. So, don't judge a product by it's marketing.

Overall, i loved the film, every second of it. Can't wait to see it again! A must own on Blu-Ray/DVD!

Blu-Ray review (US version):

Winter's Tale on Blu-Ray looks exceptionally well. Video transfer is vivid, detailed and i think it captured the feel of the film in the cinemas. Audio is once again, top quality, no complains. Unfortunately, for me the most awaited part of the disc (Bonus Features) are not so great. There are 2 featurettes added and about 13 minutes of deleted, extended scenes. While, these still make an exciting watch, there are just too few of them. I was waiting for a Director's Cut, commentaries, but was dissapointed to find only these special features. I still think that this is a worthy purchase, for people who haven't seen the film and for the fans. 4/5 Stars

The director/writer/producer Mr. Akiva Goldsman did an amazing job and i thank him and the rest of the cast and crew with all of my heart, thank You for making this one of a kind movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars Also know as Winter's Tale., 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
A mythological fantasy romantic drama. Colin Farrell (Total Recall, Seven Psychopaths) plays a burglar that meets a dying woman named Beverly, played by Jessica Brown Findlay (Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, The Fappening). Her father is played by William Hurt. The villain is Russel Crowe. Jennifer Connelly and Will Smith also star. Nice effects. Set in New York in various decades. You might be reminded of The Timetraveller's Wife, Highlander, Constantine. Based on a book. Worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Loved it. The film transports you to another world. Colin Farrell is great, as is Russell Crowe. I just can't see why critics hated it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as the reviews say, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Not as bad as the reviews say.

Being a big Colin Farrell fan, I wanted to see this movie but was nervous due to the terrible reviews in both Total Film and Empire magazine..

First 10 mins I was unsure but after that the film captured my imagination and I really enjoyed it.

Colin Farrell is amazing in it, with a great supporting cast.

Its the perfect film to snuggle with the girlfriend and enjoy a bottle of wine with..

5.0 out of 5 stars A very spiritually uplifting film, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
this is the best film I have seen in a long time .I was engrossed from the start .It touched my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most beautiful story you will ever see .., 25 Feb. 2014
The critics hate it, and seemingly everyone else who has forgotten the wonders of magic. But, if you are amongst the brave not scared of your emotions and daring to believe there is indeed "more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy" Hamlet... even miracles that transform life then you will be touched and moved by this film. The Hans Zimmer is haunting and entirely appropriate. If there was an option to give it 6 stars I would!!

4.0 out of 5 stars EVEN THE STARS HAVE NAMES,, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The film incorporates ancient beliefs about life. We are all connected by light. We turn into stars when we die. There is one miracle in all of us.The gods/angels/demons intervene.

In our tale Peter (Colin Farrell) is a thief in NYC. He leaves the dark side run by a demon Pearly (Russell Crowe) and joins the good side. Pearly works for Lucifer (Will Smith) and is after Peter who meanwhile falls in love with a pretty redhead (Jessica Brown Findlay) who is about to die from TB. Peter literally lifts her off her feet and rides off on a magical white horse. This leaves me really skeptical: Did a guy really write this?

This is a slow developing story. It has several good scenes and a number of snooze scenes. I would leave out the narration which assumes the audience are idiots and work whatever ideas it gives us into the Lucifer dialog. 3 1/2 stars

This is a soft PG-13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cried most of the way through, really enjoyed, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I genuinely loved this film, enough to buy the book which i'm looking forward to reading. It is difficult to transfer magic realism (and effects like the flying horse) from page to film without weakening the material but the love story was moving and intense and the magical side wasn't too overpowering as is oven the case.

Movies in this genre are hard to capture on film, but if you can suspend your disbelief and take off your critic's hat, you might enjoy it. I certainly did.

A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014]
A New York Winter's Tale [DVD] [2014] by Akiva Goldsman (DVD - 2014)