on 7 November 2013
After a number of anthology collections, at last we have an original classic album exactly as it was issued in 1968, all 16 fabulous tracks in glorious sound. Then, we get another 8 unknown tracks from the vaults, all of which are of a similarly high standard. I have owned the stereo LP since the early 1970s, and I still marvel at these wonderful performances. Ms Holloway's voice has huge emotional range and power, and you really feel that she can sing anything. Her own composition "You've Made Me So Very Happy" has pride of place at the heart of this collection, and I far prefer it to the hit cover version by Blood, Sweat and Tears - though it is interesting to note, from the accompanying booklet, that Holloway originally wanted to do it up-tempo as well, but Motown producers had other plans. I think they were right. The story of this neglected diva makes salutary reading - at this remove, she is evidently sanguine about the pressures on a small independent record company, with so much great talent on its books. All we can do now is sit back and enjoy this testament to a truly great voice. Artistry indeed. Five stars, no question, and well deserved. You go, Brenda!
on 6 February 2014
This is the original 1968 album with added bonus tracks. Brenda Holloway was billed as Motowns next great female singer following the departure of Mary Wells in 1964. Her first album Every Little Bit Hurts is also a must, this set contains a few tracks from that album, this album contains all of Brenda's A sides made up to this point at Motown and some other tracks which so easily could have been singles. She left Motown in 1968-69 and recorded, along with her sister Patrice, for the Holland Dozier Holland label Invictus she released a few gospel albums in the 1980's and only returned to performing in 1992 after the death of her friend Mary Wells. She released her last album in 2003 "My Love Is Your Love", but her best days were at Motown. She has a wonderful soulful voice and should have enjoyed greater success. This album is a must for all Motown fanatics and lovers of female voices.
on 28 October 2013
I FIRST BOUGHT THE MONO LP IN HMV SALE IN 1972 FOR 75p.IN MY YEARS OF COLLECTING I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STEREO VERSION AND THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE HERE IN TOP NOTCH SOUND ONE HAS COME TO EXPECT FRM ACE RECORDS.TOGETHER WITH 8 UNRELEASED TRACKS ALL MOTOWN COLLECTORS WILL WANT INCLUDING THE GEM ITS LOVE I NEED THIS RELEASE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on 3 April 2014
I love this lady and would happily pay good money to hear her sing the telephone directory while in the bath but........the re are an awful lot of companies bringing out product now that is a repeat of something else and I am fed up with being conned. KENT are brilliant when they bring out the old stuff and for me it was strange to hear the original album in stereo as my own vinyl copy was glorious mono. Let's face it we all bought it solely for the bonus tracks but the only one of any note was one which had been freely available amongst fans for years and the others, although 'interesting' and something new on Brenda, were easily identified as ones that you could see the reson for remaining in the vaults unissued! Maybe I have just been spoiled what with the previous almost 'totally unavailable before' offering from KENT and a relatively recent 2 disc Motown collection with unissued tracks and ore than her fair share of unissued tracks popping up on Motown Compilations. But let's admit it, if you are reading this then you have heard of Brenda Holloway and you will therefore love this album, as I do.
on 11 January 2014
Such a shame that Brenda never made it big time, but she has a very strong following in the UK. I'm amazed at the amount of recordings that have appeared from the vaults from this siren of Motown. That label produced so much talent and along with Tammi Terrell, this lady should have been a much bigger star. I bought this for the previously unreleased tracks and I wasn't disappointed. Brenda is sultry, sexy and a joy to the ears. All thanks to Kent records too.
on 2 April 2014
Magnificent soul album from under rated 60s Motown chanteuse. Wonderful voice great songs and arrangements. Her version of You make me so very happy is worth the entrance fee alone!!
on 12 January 2014
A perfect compliment to The Early Years CD which I already owned. The booklet is also well written, informative and interesting.
on 19 March 2014
Brenda is one of the lesser known Tamla Stars.A great voice a must addition for all Tamla and Northern Soul Fans
on 2 October 2014
Brilliant. Shame Motown never realised her full potential.
on 27 December 2013
Delivery service as always first class and reliable.nice to have this Album on CD with a few added tracks (8 in all).Its all V/G stuff by the under rated Motown Artist. The best track for me is still When I'm Gone real class this.Reviewed by StefC c/o Leek Soul Club est 1993