Format: DVDChange

Planes didn't sound amazing when I first heard of it (everyone suggested it was merely a clone of "Cars") and they were pretty close to the mark. Problem was Cars wasn't bad, but it was far from the best Pixar had offered up animation wise (in fact most feel it's one of their weaker products esp with Toy Story standing out as one of their best)

Despite the fact Pixar is now owned by Disney, this production is made by "DisneyToon Studios" which is a different group of people.
Story wise it's very predictable (and honestly not as good as Cars) it just feels like a lower level re-run of that production. The animation is reasonably decent, though it doesn't have the polish and shine one would expect from a Pixar production. Honestly the humour and fun isn't really here either (it's not really funny, bar a few moments)

Cast wise, a bit of a mixed bag I'm not crazy about Dane Cook (Dusty Crophopper) though there are a few well known people such as Teri Hatcher (Dottie), Val Kilmer (Bravo) but Danny Mann (Sparky) is an experienced voice over actor and he's done voices for many animations. Not quite the top tier voice acting I'd have hoped for, and it's hard to attach to many of the characters in the film (not really much variation in appearance unlike Cars) The biggest issue is you've just seen it all before, and in stronger films so this will probably not go down well with adult film viewers (I got bored quite quickly)

It's an ok way to kill and hour and a half and kids aged 5-8 will probably like it. Older ones might find it a bit thin and nowhere near as funny as one would have hoped. My Son watched it and thought it was "ok" but no more than that. I'm going on his rating here hence the 3 stars. Worth a look if you are desperate for more animation films to add to your collection, but there are many more that should be far higher up your buy list.
on 17 September 2014
After seeing Cars, I wasn't sure who this film was going pan out. I know this film and also Cars had some bad reviews when released in cinema's. Now I liked Cars, and this film........ I was not disappointed. At some point I completely forgot they were planes, but characters. The story is a bit slow at first, but then it gets interesting. Some nail biting moments, and, at one point, I was rooting for the underdog, " that's Dusty Crophopper by the way." A good film for kids, and for people who are still young at heart.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I never feel compelled to watch all the direct to video movies from companies I like. After all, there’s usually a reason these movies didn’t hit theaters. Yes, I’ll occasionally miss a gem, but that is rare.

Which brings us to Planes. Released by Disney without Pixar’s involvement (although John Lasseter, creator of Cars was heavily involved in his role as head of Disney studios), it was originally designed to be a direct to video film in the world of Pixar’s Cars but introducing new characters. However, somewhere along the line they decided to release it to theaters first. I never quite caught it while in theaters, but I did get it on Blu-Ray. Turns out I wasn’t missing much.

Dusty (voiced by Dane Cook) is a crop duster, a plane that flies back and forth in straight lines all day long. But he longs for something more – racing. As soon as he gets off work, he starts to practice with the help of his friend Chug (Brad Garrett), a truck that is reading Flying for Dummies to help Dusty out.

His ultimate dream is to fly in the Wings Around the World race, and when he surprisingly gets his chance, he’s thrilled. But can he keep up with his competition? Will his fear of heights be an issue? And what about the other planes who want to see him fail?

The animation in this movie is beautiful. It’s almost enough to make me wish I’d seen it in the theater. Over the course of the movie, we travel all around the world, and the stuff we fly by is just wonderful to look at.

Unfortunately, the story isn’t as good as the animation. It is fairly predictable. Now I don’t mind that as much, however, I never fully got involved in the story. Instead, I just sat back and waited for the next event to unfold.

For that, I blame the characters. There are just too many planes in the movie, and there are several sub-plots involving these secondary characters. The result is that nothing and no one is given quite enough time to develop. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gotten to know Dusty and one of two others better. The secondary character plots could have been dropped, especially the romance, and I would have been fine.

Now that isn’t to say I didn’t have fun. The romance I just mentioned provided a very funny scene. There are some great jokes along the way, and a couple of times, I was pulled into an action sequence or two that were pretty suspenseful.

And this isn’t the fault of the voice cast at all. In addition to the others I’ve already mentioned, we’ve got the likes of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Teri Hatcher, John Cleese, Cedric the Entertainer, Sinbad, and Val Kilmer. Everyone does a great job of bring their characters to life, and honestly, if you don’t know who is playing the voices, you don’t hear it at all. And yes, for those of you keeping track, John Ratzenberger does have a blink and you miss him cameo.

In the end, I think Planes will appeal more to kids than adults, and they will love it. Me? I enjoyed parts of it, but I don’t see myself pulling this one out all that frequently.
on 18 December 2013
The world of Cars meets Planes. Beautifully crafted as only disney can do with a gripping story and fantastic voices including a beautiful song from Priyanka Chopra for Ishani. The details the voices of Teri Hatcher (Superman TV and Bond), Cedric the Entertainer(Princess Bride), Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Priyanka Chopra (big star of Indian Cinema and Singer) and John Cleese add to the characters make it a fantastic film to spend time with.

You can check bits out on You Tube if you are still not sure but Disney always produce the best of films.
on 22 April 2014
This animated film is really stunning,especially in the way it was researched in order to get the planes right in every way, but with a real sense of fun thrown in for good measure. The characters' voices real suit their characters and Disney has really captured the feeling of excitement with this film. I personally think that this film is suited to everyone including toddlers.
on 2 December 2014
My son loves this film.
When I first watched it, I thought it was an attempt to copy Disney's Cars, but I didn't think it was as good.
However my 2.5 year old son is mad about this film. He loves all the characters, the flying, and the songs.
After watching it with him a few times, I love it too!
My 6 year old daughter loves it too! 5 stars from us!
on 3 March 2014
Story line is very much like cars. Was a little disappointed in the lack of original story. However my 3 year old twin boys did not notice. They love aeroplanes so to see a Disney film with them in made 2 little boys very happy. We have since been persuaded to buy toys from the range
on 6 September 2014
Bought for my 4 year old son who didn't know what it was about He absolutely loved it, as did my 6 year old daughter. We now have two budding pilots as a result of this film....oh, I loved it too! Very funny and my son said it reminded him of Cars...I thought that this was better.
on 15 April 2014
Don't bother reading the reviews on this movie, as they weren't very good. Our theory is that getting a toddler to sit in a cinema is a difficult one. But play the movie at home and it's a different story. Our son loves Cars, and he loved this even more. The graphics are better than Cars (as you would expect as technology moves on). The storyline is wonderfully heart-warming and it's amazing how much of the friendship and triumph over adversity messages a 2 year old can understand. Dusty is a really cute character, along with his friends. The bonus film is great for parents too, with the creators explaining why they made the movie, and love of planes. Plus each character (El Chupacabra and Ishani in particular) videos are cute. Although I am sure all designed to extract more money out of parents as spin-off films might be in the pipeline.
on 8 November 2013
I have been to see this 3 times at the cinema with my 5 yr old she loves it so much. She even did a very exciting "show and tell" on it the parents of her classmates tell me as they persuaded their parents take them. Not as many adult jokes as in some Disney films but enough. Bulldog saying "I don't cry I'm British" had everyone in the cinema laughing. She is desperately awaiting DVD release.