5.0 out of 5 stars Planes
Planes. Wanted for grandson as he is fascinated by aircraft .He is only 2year and 8months and we could not find this film anywhere.So very pleased when it arrived in 24hours.
Published 3 months ago by Mr Richard & Angie Needham

Planes didn't sound amazing when I first heard of it (everyone suggested it was merely a clone of "Cars") and they were pretty close to the mark. Problem was Cars wasn't bad, but it was far from the best Pixar had offered up animation wise (in fact most feel it's one of their weaker products esp with Toy Story standing out as one of their best)

Despite the fact...
Published 2 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable entertainment for the kids, but could have been far better, 18 July 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)

Despite the fact Pixar is now owned by Disney, this production is made by "DisneyToon Studios" which is a different group of people.
Story wise it's very predictable (and honestly not as good as Cars) it just feels like a lower level re-run of that production. The animation is reasonably decent, though it doesn't have the polish and shine one would expect from a Pixar production. Honestly the humour and fun isn't really here either (it's not really funny, bar a few moments)

Cast wise, a bit of a mixed bag I'm not crazy about Dane Cook (Dusty Crophopper) though there are a few well known people such as Teri Hatcher (Dottie), Val Kilmer (Bravo) but Danny Mann (Sparky) is an experienced voice over actor and he's done voices for many animations. Not quite the top tier voice acting I'd have hoped for, and it's hard to attach to many of the characters in the film (not really much variation in appearance unlike Cars) The biggest issue is you've just seen it all before, and in stronger films so this will probably not go down well with adult film viewers (I got bored quite quickly)

It's an ok way to kill and hour and a half and kids aged 5-8 will probably like it. Older ones might find it a bit thin and nowhere near as funny as one would have hoped. My Son watched it and thought it was "ok" but no more than that. I'm going on his rating here hence the 3 stars. Worth a look if you are desperate for more animation films to add to your collection, but there are many more that should be far higher up your buy list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planes, 12 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab young childrens film, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)
I have been to see this 3 times at the cinema with my 5 yr old she loves it so much. She even did a very exciting "show and tell" on it the parents of her classmates tell me as they persuaded their parents take them. Not as many adult jokes as in some Disney films but enough. Bulldog saying "I don't cry I'm British" had everyone in the cinema laughing. She is desperately awaiting DVD release.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Film for kids and for those who are young at heart., 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)
After seeing Cars, I wasn't sure who this film was going pan out. I know this film and also Cars had some bad reviews when released in cinema's. Now I liked Cars, and this film........ I was not disappointed. At some point I completely forgot they were planes, but characters. The story is a bit slow at first, but then it gets interesting. Some nail biting moments, and, at one point, I was rooting for the underdog, " that's Dusty Crophopper by the way." A good film for kids, and for people who are still young at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a kids film & guess what the kids loved it..., 20 Nov 2013
Yes this film is basically the same as cars but with planes... I don't think it would take a genius to work that out, but its a children's film and both of my sons aged 2 & 4 love it and will be receiving diecast planes for Christmas.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sweet mother of all that is good and pure... what the hell was that, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this from the local "Every Little Helps" supermarket as our 2.5 year old spotted it while we were pushing the trolley down the aisle. I haven't watched it myself because from what I remember it didn't get a lot of positive reviews... but then again a lot of other good movies didn't get them either but they were good. So what the heck, I thought, lets buy it...
Now let me point out that we are huge Cars fans at our household. Our 2.5 year old knows all the main characters by name, as well as some which only appear on screen for literally few seconds (Nitroade, Suki, Harumi, Barry Diesel, Dexter, Trunkov etc.). We even have some rare die casts which have not been removed from their packaging. We have seen Cars 1 and 2 at least 50 times and I don't get bored with it yet. Household. Cars. Fans. Period. Got it? Good.
Planes movie is NOTHING like "Cars with wings". In fact it's so shallow and hollow it's nowhere near the Cars franchise. Cars 2 which by many is considered a mistake is heck of a lot better than Planes. This is so bad I don't even know where to start. The question is do I want to start though? Waste my time writing about a movie I don't like. And neither does my son.
The beginning (first 10-15mins) is sort of ok(ish). The storyline is a typical Disney no-brainer but you can quickly forget about that because there are some nice flight animations which unfortunately end very quickly. And after that everything just goes downhill... even the story line, it's getting from bad to worst. El Chupacabra's love adventure should be deleted from the history books/movie tapes. It's terrible. Dusty's romance with Ashani isn't much better either.
The back of the box says "Contains no material likely to offend or harm". Oh really? Is that so? So what do you classify as shooting/killing a whole squadron of Corsairs? I remember many parents saying the "torture scene" in Cars 2 (Rod Redline being interrogated by Zundapp and the Lemons) was not acceptable.
How naive do actually the creators think the children are? Sure it is a cartoon, not everything is real but for Gods sake even a 5 year old will tell you you don't fish for planes from the bottom of the ocean. And that two aircrafts will not get stuck in a canyon. Yes it is a cartoon but this is a borderline of absurd. No wait it's way past beyond that point. Why? Because at the beginning the Skipper is trying to teach Dusty about aerodynamics, physics etc where an hour later a helicopter is fishing him out from the Pacific. Riiiiiiiight... sounds/looks legit.
Did I say I am Cars fan? Oh yes I did. I'm also aircraft fan. Been since I was 3-4. Planes should have been the perfect combination for me but it wasn't. It was painful to watch and my youngest thought the same. He is too young to be able to describe what he feels but I can read him by watching him and he wasn't enjoying it past the first ten minutes. The one and only time he got excited was when he saw the tractors. Simply because they reminded him about the tractors in Cars 1.

I've taken back the DVD for a refund and let me tell you I have never, ever in my life returned a movie before. If I saw it at carboot sale for 50p I would haggle with the seller as I think even than is too expensive.

Now... where is that Mater's Tales DVD which is also absurd but on entirely different level...

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014

Great movie

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Grandsons favourite film

Planes [DVD]
Planes [DVD] by Dane Cook (DVD - 2013)